acid74

Info on sensory issues associated with aspergers

With respect to Asperger's, how can sensory issues manifest? I know that in general they are either over or under developed, but can it be a mixture of under and over development, or is it all of one or the other?

I ask because I mostly have underdeveloped senses; pain is dulled, temperature is dulled, i can't smell much, i can't taste much and I think my perception of light is dulled (I usually have as many lights on as I can, a simple room light is not enough).

However, there are a couple of areas which seem overly sensitive; i have very sensitive hearing, and contrary to dulled feeling of pain and temperature, there are certain textures/substances that drive me crazy to touch.

Also, paradoxically, my sensitivity to sound doesn't occur when it's music i particularly like, in these circumstances I turn it up loudly (to shut down all external sound), but anything other than the sound I want (music) is extremely irritating!

Does this sound right, or is something else going on?

Edited by acid74

This does sound fairly typical of the sensory issues you can get in autism. It is common to have a mixture of over and under sensitivities.

I am over-sensitive to some noises. I can hear a high-pitched whine from upstairs if I've left the telly downstairs on standby. I can hear the "inaudible" noises from sonic mouse deterrers. The fan in my bathroom is especially uncomfortable. It comes on with the light switch and I have to bath by candlelight because I can't stand the noise of the fan. Yet I love to turn up the music in my car until it's so loud I can feel the vibrations through the seatbelt :ph34r:

Same here - loud music is mostly fine but can't stand the noise of the light bulbs - which are going all the time cuz its never light enough, yet outside I have a mild sensitivity to sunlight that dazzles and glares so I have to squint :rolleyes:

Can't smell much most of the time but if someone leaves an unlit burner on for 5 seconds I can smell it from 30 feet away...

Even the word fabric reminds me of certain things - like cotton wool! :george: AAAAH or fake velvet - makes me want to scream and rip my head off :lol:

Same here - loud music is mostly fine but can't stand the noise of the light bulbs - which are going all the time cuz its never light enough, yet outside I have a mild sensitivity to sunlight that dazzles and glares so I have to squint :rolleyes:

Can't smell much most of the time but if someone leaves an unlit burner on for 5 seconds I can smell it from 30 feet away...

Even the word fabric reminds me of certain things - like cotton wool! :george: AAAAH or fake velvet - makes me want to scream and rip my head off :lol:

Sponge and that material football clothes are made from drive me crazy. Also the material cheap suits are made of, especially school blazers, oh the agony of school...

I also detest the weird slimy feeling of soap, that's evil.

I don't know why but I like to punch a wall (or something) after touching sponge, it's calming.

Edited by acid74

more sons are more acute, sense and taste very over developed, hearing also, spatial awareness etc.

however as he has got older if appears to be affected less ..almost de-sensitised .He always likes lots of vinegar and ketchup on his food no matter what it is :sick:

very much so.

a very good book on the subject is by olga bogdashina Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism: Different Sensory Experiences - Different Perceptual Worlds

Sponge and that material football clothes are made from drive me crazy. Also the material cheap suits are made of, especially school blazers, oh the agony of school...

I also detest the weird slimy feeling of soap, that's evil.

I don't know why but I like to punch a wall (or something) after touching sponge, it's calming.

ooh totally forgot about sponges and soap :D hate them too! and shiny material where the fabric has a snaggy feeling :lol: pretty much only wear cotton :lol:

I don't know why it produces such an anger but I definitely know what you mean - makes me want to do a variety of stupid things cuz the feeling is way too strong about sensitivities and touch and things. ;)

I have a very strong sense of smell and bright lights (including the sun) bother me.

I have no problem with music but high-pitched sounds like drills, car/house alarms and children shrieking/squealing I find unbearable.

I have no problems with touching materials but I'm very sensitive to being touched because I'll feel it for quite a time afterwards.

I have over sensitivity to bright light, being touched, the feel of certain materials, high-pitched noises, the sound of vacuum cleaners (at least, that's what I tell my wife) and cold. But I have no appreciable sense of smell, very dulled sense of taste and a usefully high pain threshold :wallbash:

ooh totally forgot about sponges and soap :D hate them too! and shiny material where the fabric has a snaggy feeling :lol: pretty much only wear cotton :lol:

I don't know why it produces such an anger but I definitely know what you mean - makes me want to do a variety of stupid things cuz the feeling is way too strong about sensitivities and touch and things. ;)

I guess it's like scratching an itch. Touching such an irritating, horrific substance... punching a wall neutralizes it, i can't feel pain much so it's not much of a problem doing it.

I guess it's like scratching an itch. Touching such an irritating, horrific substance... punching a wall neutralizes it, i can't feel pain much so it's not much of a problem doing it.

Bad for the wall though eh? ;)

I've just filled in a questionnaire for sensory sensitivities as part of anxiety management therapy I'm receiving. Got to wait for the results to be totted up and will get told them next week. :blink:

So so weird to think at this time last year I just thought I was just an ill-natured, bad-tempered so-and-so when it came to things like getting upset when it was a windy day or when I had to throw a polyester top off a minute after putting it on! I could never understand why anyone could wear these synthetic clothes - I've worn predominantly cotton for years and only get something synthetic if it's a present or I come by it second-hand and they mostly end up in a charity shop :whistle: Good wool jumpers have me scratching all day long...

Anyway, thus far it looks like my main 'sensitivities' are visual and auditory - some noises like crying, clicky noises and the hum of lightbulbs bother me immensely :wacko: . Olfactory though always comes in handy if you're unsure if something is on the turn :thumbs:

Thank you all for sharing your difficulties - my youngest has many sensory problems which he can't explain yet and I don't fully understand. It's fascinating to find out some of you can hear lightbulbs humming - what a nightmare!

It's fascinating to find out some of you can hear lightbulbs humming - what a nightmare!

I always thought that was normal till I got my dx and started understanding a bit more about ASD. :rolleyes:

I hate to hear the "buzz" of electricity through the alarm clock or a tv etc on stand by. Day time is fine but at nights they can keep me awake for hours. Solution - I do not and have not had a tv in my bedroom for over a decade. My mobile phone is my alarm clock but even then I can't have it charging overnight as there is a faint thrum of the power transfer. I've only had lightbulb issues a few times and I thought that was due to a problem with the fitting. Drove me crazy til I found out the cause of the problem though! I generally hate white noise, can't have the tv on or music/radio unless I am specifically watching/listening. I have spent hundreds of pounds changing my fridge freezer when the background noise of that during the night had me going nuts. Even daytime my hubby leaves his computer on and the faint whir of the cooling fan distracts me something awful (I work from home) - I've nearly put it through the window a few times when he's left it on.

I am (probably) NT although I do have some AS traits and these peculiarities of mine are just another puzzle for me. Nice to know there are others out there I can tell this to who don't think I am crazy.

I got told by my care-coordinator that some people use white noise to distract themselves from visual and auditory stimuli while outside and I just had this endless scream inside my head at the thought of listening to white noise :lol:

It probably would detract from the noise and movement issues though - except I'd look a right weirdo trying to cope with white noise instead :P

I am oversensitive to light, sound, touch, texture, temperature, smell. I am undersensitive to taste (despite it being linked to smell) and can't stand blandish food or things where the flavours mix together (e.g. casseroles), I need things with strong and distinct flavours.

Hi,

My 12 y.o. hates touching bone china - when I ask him to empty the dishwasher, he always leaves my coffee mug in it, as he says he can't stand touching it. He also hates certain smells - when my husband got a new car, he couldn't go in it for ages - it made him feel sick. And as with many of you, he likes to listen to his music very loud, but if I click my fingernails ( an annoying habit of mine) he can hear from the other side of the room, and gets really angry.

Diane

I often clearly hear and smell things that others around me don't, so I think I must have stronger than average senses of hearing and smell. There are some noises I dislike intensely, particularly if the noise is unexpected. On the other hand, the very loud noise of my motorbike doesn't bother me because I control it so I know it's coming.

I have no idea whether my other senses are unusual. I think my sense of touch is of normal sensitivity, although I do hate being touched unexpectedly and I prefer to avoid making physical contact with others. In both cases, though, it's a 'mind' thing, not because it's actually painful.

Taste: probably normal but how would I know?

Sight: again, normal as far as I have the means to know.

I've just filled in a questionnaire for sensory sensitivities as part of anxiety management therapy I'm receiving. Got to wait for the results to be totted up and will get told them next week. :blink:

So so weird to think at this time last year I just thought I was just an ill-natured, bad-tempered so-and-so when it came to things like getting upset when it was a windy day or when I had to throw a polyester top off a minute after putting it on! I could never understand why anyone could wear these synthetic clothes - I've worn predominantly cotton for years and only get something synthetic if it's a present or I come by it second-hand and they mostly end up in a charity shop :whistle: Good wool jumpers have me scratching all day long...

Anyway, thus far it looks like my main 'sensitivities' are visual and auditory - some noises like crying, clicky noises and the hum of lightbulbs bother me immensely :wacko: . Olfactory though always comes in handy if you're unsure if something is on the turn :thumbs:

Hi, Yes i have the same with polyester and wool drives me crazy i have found cotton is good hate supermarkets with loud music our Asda is terrible.....lindy

Hi, Yes i have the same with polyester and wool drives me crazy i have found cotton is good hate supermarkets with loud music our Asda is terrible.....lindy

One near us - a takeover from the old safeway - it sounds similar to being in a swimming baths only with tills beeping as well as talking and the echoes of many sounds - its a total assault on the senses - no other supermarket (inc other chains of the same store) around here has this phenomenon - this one store is just really loud and echoey - needless to say I avoid it like the plague...

One near us - a takeover from the old safeway - it sounds similar to being in a swimming baths only with tills beeping as well as talking and the echoes of many sounds - its a total assault on the senses - no other supermarket (inc other chains of the same store) around here has this phenomenon - this one store is just really loud and echoey - needless to say I avoid it like the plague...

MP3-Player and noise-cancelling headphones. Problem sorted. :D

Don't need 'em :D not for there anyway - I only go in when my ma insists she needs something that only they do - and that's not much thankfully ;)

I do use 'em for other situations though :P

Edited by darkshine

My son is very sensitive to seams in clothing. He will wear his school uniform but it takes him ages to 'twist and fix it' so it feels comfortable. We have had to buy him seamless socks. He hates hoodies and any material which has a badge or logo stitched in. At home he lives in track suit bottoms and teeshirts. He refuses point blank to wear jeans or shorts. we have to cut the label out of his cloths and there are certain kinds of tee shirts he refuses to wear because of the stitching around the seams. We had a family christening about 6 weeks ago and I had to tell him weeks in advance that he was going to have to wear dressy trousers and a shirt and I had to keep reminding him of this. When it came to the shirt he didnt actually have any that fitted him so he had to borrow one. I gave him the choice of 3 different kind of trousers to wear and had to promise him that as soon as we got out of the church that he could put on his comfy clothes. He wasnt happy and you could tell that he was visibly uncomfortable but god love him, he really tried. He seems to have no concept of the cold weather, he will happily go outside in a teeshirt when there is snow on the ground. The only time he complains of the cold is first thing in the morning or just after getting a bath. He also gets overly hot in bed whilst sleeping, its not uncommon for him to roll over and you can see the pillow and his hair is wet from him sweating.

He dislikes large crowds of people and because of this we cant get him to come shopping ect. We have to get someone to sit in the house with him while we go shopping. He is now allowed to come to school 10mins later than everyone else as he had missed so many days of school and one of the reasons is the dislike of crowds and noise. Having to queue up outside in a line every morning was hell for him and it was even worse if it was raining and they had to gather in the gym hall before class. He is also allowed to stay in at playtime now too if he wants.

He also has A LOT of trouble with background noise, its like he cant filter it out. For example, we went out to a restaurant for a family meal and when we got there there were only 2 other couples there and we couldnt hear them talking. My wee boy was fine then but then a large party of around 15 people arrived and the whole place was full of background chatter. He couldnt stand it and had to be taken out, if we hadnt took him out he would have had a full on panic attack. He dosnt like the noise of fireworks, if he is outside when they are going off it will send him into a panic attack but when he is in the house its not too bad, I think he feels safe. He will take himself upstairs if the hoover is on. My other half lives in London and I am taking him over to his for Halloween. We will have to get the boat as the last time he was on a plane he suffered a major panic attack, the cabin crew were brilliant with him, they brought us to the front and even let him into the cockpit, gave him a free drink and some sweets, but it made no difference to him. I have swore I will never put him through that again. Im worried about the noise of the underground tube though. I have took a video of it on my phone which I will show him so he knows what to expect and Im hoping that if he has his ipod on that the noise of the tube wont be so bad. Its as if the background chatter and noise that NT people can filter out without even thinking about it causes actual pain for him as do the clothing.

Background noise can really get in the way sometimes - crowds and talking are the worst by far for me - but there are numerous other things as well - it makes going to uni events really problematic as the clasroom noises just echo round my head making it impossible to concentrate - and restaurants (on the rare times I go) aren't ant better, I just can't tune it out like the people I'm with can/do... Silly really cuz I can turn up music so loud that other people feel how I do with certain noises, yet for me it makes it so I can concentrate to study because it covers all the other noises.

I hated the noise on the tube - it really fills your head - an ipod helped me to an extent - but I didn't like the crowding either :( best to know in advance and be as prepared as possible...

If you'd like to know all kinds of aspects in sensory input and the way one can perceive things with Aspergers (and the rest of the Spectrum), than the book of Olga Bogdashina gives a wonderfully clear insight on that :D

103028091.jpg51T70QQ0PEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg26444794.png

BTW the list of sensory problems mentioned earlier is called the Sensory Profile.

There are 3.. one for infants/toddlers, one for kids, one for adults.