Thames

Claiming carers allowance and studying with the open university

I get carers and income support [my son 8 is in receipt of DLA]

I think you are allowed to study for up to 21 hrs a week while claiming carers, I have checked and am eligable with help towards course fees.

Has anyone else studied with the OU?

The first course I want to do suggests 8 hours of study a week and the next ones [if I manage this one!] suggests, 16 or 20 hrs a week.

Has anyone done this and did they have any issues regarding their carers allowance?

I have googled like mad and cant find much in the way of definitive answers out there.

Thanks

Hi Thames

I'm not sure if there's a restriction on studying, if you're studying at home? It's the number of hours you spend caring which qualifies you for the CA. I think you have to be doing it for at least 35 hrs a week but look that up as my memory is a bit hazy on this I used to get CA but had to stop when I got a job which took me over the limit.

K x

Hi Kathryn and thanks

Theres definitely a restriction...it even mentions it on directgov website, saying that the restrictions even include OU study.

Im already getting carers and deffo care for my son for more then 35 hrs!

Was just wondering if any one else had done it too?

Ring up carers and ask them

Thanks

In my experience ive found the carers allowance people on the phone to be friendly and helpful, but I would never take spoken words over the phone as a definitive answer, Id like to find something concrete!

Under - Who cannot get carers allowance

Direct Gov link

They make it all so clear don't they?

If this isn't any good, ring them up and ask them to send you information by post - that way you know for sure.

Regards

Darkshine

Edited by darkshine

Well it does say:

Who cannot get Carer's Allowance

Education

You cannot get Carer's Allowance if you are on a course of full-time education, or you are on holiday from full-time education.

Full-time education means a course which is described as full-time by the educational establishment providing it. If the educational establishment describes the course as part-time, but attendance is required for 21 hours or more each week, it will be treated as full-time.

So it looks like studying under 21 hours per week would be OK.

I think asking for a reply in writing would be a good idea.

Hi

I was studying througgh the OU and was able to apply for carers allowance. There is no restriction if its home based as you may study 10 hrs one week and 30hrs the next depending on your circumstances. I studied three courses at one time each about 12hrs a week but I would still qualify for carers. I did'nt apply at the time as I was due to go to uni and once you in full time education and attending lectures for more than 35 hrs a week you cannot claim, so I did not see the point.

So when it comes to OU you can get away with it as you can say you studying 15 hrs a week, they only look at it more if you actually attend lectures as this means you are not at home and may even have to get help with childcare meaning you are not the sole carer.You also not getting any type of grants or bursary to help care for your son,all you get is your fees paid for you and I think £200 at the start of the course (Don't remember as it was over 18mths ago.)

Definatley apply I wish I had at the time.