Sign in to follow this  
sesley

Autism cards are being made available

went to our meeting yesturday for its launch. The scheme which, is supported by the NAS and the fire brigade,the health and police. The idea is for it to help and for public bodies to be more aware of autism and its inpact on the person. The police video from Strathclyde police demonstrated certain senarios on how this card would be useful,provided of course the people are tunned in to its meaning. It is some progress and hopefully more positive progress will gradually follow.

The trouble I see with this (from experience with the autism alert cards in England) is that it's fine if you approach the police, but if they approach you and you then reach into your pocket/bag to get out the card this can be misconstrued. This happened to me and I was jumped on by the officers and pushed onto the pavement because they said there was a possibility I might be getting a weapon out (well I do live in dodge-ville! :rolleyes:). :shame:

The trouble I see with this (from experience with the autism alert cards in England) is that it's fine if you approach the police, but if they approach you and you then reach into your pocket/bag to get out the card this can be misconstrued. This happened to me and I was jumped on by the officers and pushed onto the pavement because they said there was a possibility I might be getting a weapon out (well I do live in dodge-ville! :rolleyes:). :shame:

Yes that could be difficult!

I'm not sure if the Police in my area would have any idea about Autism, if you gave them a card I don't know what they would do with it. My boy is so regularly out being disruptive in some form and the locals are the kind that refer to the standard naughty child syndrome.

The problem here is clear though... a child missing a limb clearly has a disability and will be treated appropriately, but ASDs are just not obvious; I know my child has an ASD but I still struggle to know exactly how to deal with him at times!