AspieMe

Any teachers with Aspergers?

I know there's no end of posts regarding teaching pupils with aspergers but I am really struggling to find any actual teachers with Aspergers. It would be really useful to get views from other teachers who have Aspergers as I have recently been diagnosed and would like their viewpoints on how their diagnosis affects their role in school and how the news of their condition has been taken by other staff in their dept and SLT.

I've looked on the TES forums and the only feedback seems to be from normal people who have Aspie workmates and their opinions of how they suffer.

I know its slightly different, but I suffer from Aspergers and have been doing some undergraduate teaching at my university alongside my PhD. Initially the university were unwilling to offer me any teaching because of my Aspergers (and I think memories of me being very quiet in seminars when I was an undergraduate), but after a long process of proving to them that I was capable there have been no problems at all. Naturally I was very nervous, but the students obviously didn't notice that there was anything different about me, and I was given a very good review when my head of unit observed one of my seminars. I'm afraid I can't offer any great deal of insight, but I would say that in some ways my disability has been advantageous, as it prevents me from being too dominant (so the students get plenty of chance to talk) and also means I empathise with the less confident students, and am quite good at gently encouraging them to participate. I would say, though, that if I was applying for a teaching/lecturing job I would be very reluctant to disclose my disability, and as I feel capable of doing my job unimpaired I would not feel duty bound to do so.

You will probably find most teachers with AS working in higher education or as tutors. Primary school teaching isn't a career that appeals to many people with AS.

I taught for two years in a secondary school and then left to go back to my previous work.

I enjoyed teaching my subject (history) and I think I was quite good at it but I couldn't cope with the personal, emotional, involvement.

my best friend teaches spec.edu, 11-13yr olds with various iq's, backgrounds, cultures, needs etc..

She's a natural born leader, knows/sees/feels exactly what each kid needs and how to address that.

She's overly maticulous, which other teacher might find annoying, though they see how much impact her approach has on the whole class.. She can read&write with all of them, has their trust, for she's open and very direct..

She's an aspie with adhd, and can make that work for her..

Though privately, she can easily get highly frustrated when things don't go as she'd imagined/planned.. Pfoei!!