Suze

Positive News.

Hi guys , my son has always found nursery then primary school, and then high school very difficult.He struggled straight away at primary and reading and writing was always something he found very difficult.Teachers always told me he,d catch up and there was nothing wrong.But at 6 yrs I had a child that wept if he tried to read and snapped pencils and ripped up his work when he could,nt use a pencil.We took him to the dyslexia institute and paid for a private exam.He was dx with a very high IQ and a reading and writing ability in the bottom 3%.School took things on board and began to see as he moved into yr4 that other stuff was going on.He was dx with dyspraxia at 7 yrs and the OT immeadiately flagged up concerns after a school observation.By this time I had a child that spent alot of time in tears at school, hid under tables and in the toilets and did no written work at all.We were urgently referred to CAMHS where he was dx with AS/ASD , and a nurse told me he was at such a low ebb that home schooling should be seriously considered.Thankfully he was statemented and Autism support put in many measures at school that began to make a difference.It has to be said though that primary school was awful , the other kids made his life a misery , their parents complained to the Head , I was so glad when he left.When high school loomed I was extremely worried for him , but we were very lucky to get him a place in a High School with an Autism resource, where specially trained staff would support him.We were always lead to believe that he,d leave school with very little in the way of qualifications despite being very intelligent.However this week he surprised us all when he got his results.He passed all 7 of his GCSE,S and will now go on to agricultural college , which has always been his dream.This achievement came about from alot of hard work on his part but also because he had some fantastic staff to help him.They completely turned him around and gave him independence and confidence.He went from a yr 7 student who could,nt cope in regestration and at break times , to a yr11 student who mentored the younger kids.One particular lady who was his key worker had a huge impact on him and I know he,ll stay in touch with her for life.

...............sorry this has been soo long . :whistle: ...but we had some very very dark times with our son and I never believed he,d be where he is now ....who knows what the future holds but if anyone is feeling that things can,t get better for their kids ....it can happen.There are some wonderful teachers out there who can make a difference.,and I,ll be forever in their debt.

Edited by Suze

Well, well done to your son. What a brilliant achievement! :thumbs: What a difference positive and supportive people and not-just-a -little-bit of self-belief can make! :party:

What a lovely post Suze!! Well done to your lad, and to you for supporting and helping him all the way >:D<<'>

Hope there's lots of celebrations for all of you out there who have lived through this summer :notworthy:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Congratulations to your son!

Most of the colleges I've been looking at to study animal care are agricultural colleges. One thing I've noticed is that they all seem to have good support for students with disabilities. Many specifically mention dyslexia and Asperger's. I don't know what the reality of the support is, but it certainly sounds like they understand the difficulties that are likely to come up and can help with them.

Thankyou guys...I actually cried my eyes out after he told me , and believe it or not he was so chuffed he gave me a v v v vv v...very big squeeze outside the school gates, he could,nt believe he ,d done it either , the best they hoped for in maths and english was a D and he got C,s in both :thumbs: , it was so lovely to see him so happy , he has stressed alot this past yr as he knew he needed 5 GCSE,s to get in on the college course at the higher level and now he,s done that , its not been an easy ride at all but so thankfull we got there.Good luck to all of you having tough times , there is a light at the end of the tunnel....however long that tunnel might be :thumbs:

Good luck to all of you having tough times , there is a light at the end of the tunnel....however long that tunnel might be :thumbs:

That's a really hopeful story Suze, both for parents who feel at the end of their tether and for adults like me. It is very nice to hear that things can improve and that things in life can be achieved - even if it feels like nothing is happening at times, it is nice to believe that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope he enjoys college when he goes :thumbs:

Those would be great results for an NT kid, so amazing work by your son to do so well having so much to overcome to get there. You should be proud of him and also of yourself for helping him get there too.

Hi guys , my son has always found nursery then primary school, and then high school very difficult.He struggled straight away at primary and reading and writing was always something he found very difficult.Teachers always told me he,d catch up and there was nothing wrong.But at 6 yrs I had a child that wept if he tried to read and snapped pencils and ripped up his work when he could,nt use a pencil.We took him to the dyslexia institute and paid for a private exam.He was dx with a very high IQ and a reading and writing ability in the bottom 3%.School took things on board and began to see as he moved into yr4 that other stuff was going on.He was dx with dyspraxia at 7 yrs and the OT immeadiately flagged up concerns after a school observation.By this time I had a child that spent alot of time in tears at school, hid under tables and in the toilets and did no written work at all.We were urgently referred to CAMHS where he was dx with AS/ASD , and a nurse told me he was at such a low ebb that home schooling should be seriously considered.Thankfully he was statemented and Autism support put in many measures at school that began to make a difference.It has to be said though that primary school was awful , the other kids made his life a misery , their parents complained to the Head , I was so glad when he left.When high school loomed I was extremely worried for him , but we were very lucky to get him a place in a High School with an Autism resource, where specially trained staff would support him.We were always lead to believe that he,d leave school with very little in the way of qualifications despite being very intelligent.However this week he surprised us all when he got his results.He passed all 7 of his GCSE,S and will now go on to agricultural college , which has always been his dream.This achievement came about from alot of hard work on his part but also because he had some fantastic staff to help him.They completely turned him around and gave him independence and confidence.He went from a yr 7 student who could,nt cope in regestration and at break times , to a yr11 student who mentored the younger kids.One particular lady who was his key worker had a huge impact on him and I know he,ll stay in touch with her for life.

...............sorry this has been soo long . :whistle: ...but we had some very very dark times with our son and I never believed he,d be where he is now ....who knows what the future holds but if anyone is feeling that things can,t get better for their kids ....it can happen.There are some wonderful teachers out there who can make a difference.,and I,ll be forever in their debt.

Hi, Thank you for sharing yourstory as it gives me hoep for my 12 year old son who has had home tutor for the last year and now he is suppose to go to nurture unit in another comprensive school he is very anxious about this we are getting dx soon from CAMHS hope we can getsome help......school is a scary place for him ...........lindy

If I could advise anything it would be a reduced timetable to start, no registration or assembly, a key worker who would support him and access to a quiet and safe area at dinner and break(one which is staffed).Disapplication if possible from some lessons so he can catch up 1;1 with key worker and do homework and vent if needed.My son was disapplied from RE and used this time for homework and chill time.He also only attended tutored classes with a TA and spent the rest of his timetable in the resource unit.However by yr 11 he was virtually independent but still supported in lessons for SEN.

What a wonderful story, you made me cry (but in a good way). I work with children with various special needs and one thing I've learned from all of them is never underestimate what they can achieve and overcome. You clearly had the same attitude with supporting your boy so a huge congratulations to you and all the support you've put in an massive amounts of praise to your son for fighting back from a dark place and refusing to give up. I've never met him but am extremely proud of him!! My daughter used to get very distressed when writing too but seems to be doing better at the moment. You've made me even more hopeful than I already was about a great outcome for her, thank you. >:D<<'>

aah thanks sammy snake.....he had some fantastic teachers and his key worker is a truly lovely lady , he has come through....now onto the next chapter :ph34r:

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread but - fantastic news Suze! 7 GCSE's - what an achievement, you must be so proud. :thumbs:

Isn't it great to hear that schools and teachers can make a positive difference and turn a bad situation around. Not to take any credit away from your son who has obviously worked so hard to get this far, and you who supported him all the way. :notworthy:

I await the next chapter with interest: good luck to him this coming year and I hope he enjoys his course. :)

K x