Sign in to follow this  
lindy2017

anxiety school

HiFolks,My 12 year old son is due to start his nurture unit on tuesday along with his tutor he is worried stressed about it is ok at momnet but then has has negative thoughts says hes not going we are waiting for dx from CAMHS i think he has aspergers as my 3 older children have traits and grand daighter is been seen by speech and language ...........is there anything i could do to help him or is it something we have to deal with on the day he hates changes in routines and has a big phobia about school this nurture unit is attached to a secondary school but they dont have to enter it if too anxious only have 10 children in it ..........lindy

does he know any of the staff who will be working with him? or any of the other pupils? also has he been for a visit? was it a successful visit?

does he know any of the staff who will be working with him? or any of the other pupils? also has he been for a visit? was it a successful visit?

Hi, He doesnt know the staff yet we had a couple of visits before school broke up for summer holidays he was concerned about them being qualified to know what is wrong with him and if thye ahd bullying etc his tutor and myself want to ask questions when we visit next week when we came back from visit he was anxious said he didnt want to go there ..........lindy

it is understandable that he will be anxious, new place, new people etc. Though with only 10 pupils it will probably be an ideal setting for your son, the fact that it is attatched to a mainstream school is also great, as when he feels comfortable enough he may be able to access some mainstream classes with support of the unit. How many staff will there be for the 10 pupils? Deff ask them lots of questions, poss without ur son being there at the time. How they handle challenging behaviour, or if he becomes withdrawn etc. Do they offer daily communication as in home school diary etc or even a phone call at the end of the day at the beginning, just to let u know how things have been, and you could also let them know of any worries your son has.

hopefully things go well for him, will he be attending full time?

mine started secondary school in the Highlands and is in his fourth week now,he was very anxious at first,but has been less this week, and the learning support people have been fantastic, they e mail me with reports and requests. He will have anxietys of the change for a while,its important to let him chill and relax at home and weekends in the way he finds comforting,you need to be as positive as you can and let him know you are supporting him.and put a positve spin and encourage him with a new school and new adventures etc.Its a interesting time because you will find out from now on where his talents will lay.In primary school they had short times to touch on subjects in big school they will have more time for detail.If he likes things like Art and music and computers etc he might find its a good thing.So see if you can get him thinking positively about the things he is interested in school and how he can develop them more in big school.

mine started secondary school in the Highlands and is in his fourth week now,he was very anxious at first,but has been less this week, and the learning support people have been fantastic, they e mail me with reports and requests. He will have anxietys of the change for a while,its important to let him chill and relax at home and weekends in the way he finds comforting,you need to be as positive as you can and let him know you are supporting him.and put a positve spin and encourage him with a new school and new adventures etc.Its a interesting time because you will find out from now on where his talents will lay.In primary school they had short times to touch on subjects in big school they will have more time for detail.If he likes things like Art and music and computers etc he might find its a good thing.So see if you can get him thinking positively about the things he is interested in school and how he can develop them more in big school.

Hi, He has big anxieties about school full stop thats why he has home tutor she will go with him and myself firstday jsut for a n hour thigns will have to be slow he gets 5 hours tution a week he will have 2 hours the week after depending how it goes he used to be in a welsh primary school and it was stressful sometmes ...speaking only welsh no english allowed or you get into trouble........so not a good start ...his obsessin is computer evry good on it his elder brother has IT company his obsession he is 32 ......will have to wait and see............

thats good then, perhaps the school could start him off with something computer related, that will interest him.