newbie101

just failed royal navy AIB

hello,

I have just taken and failed a royal navy AIB, which is officer selection for the UK royal navy (the guys who control the ships and submarines used). Although on a similar training scheme (one that puts academics as its main emphasis) apparently the psychometric shapes section and the planning exercise was where I went wrong. Has anyone had any similar experiences for going for the armed forces?

No but I'm sorry you failed it,better luck next time.x

At age 17 (a long time ago!) I did a 5-day RAF aircrew selection course. Candidates were eliminated after each day, Big Brother style! I made it to the final day but got a bad news letter a few weeks later. I'm sure I did really well in all the written tests but I don't think my interviews on the final day went very well. I don't recall psychometric tests back then but that might just be my fading memory.

to be honest, I'm not familiar with the army etc..

It's important to know your limits, and also be aware how you might overcompensate!

In my vocation one might say I'm not suitable to teach kids interaction and comm, for I have Asperger..

Well, for me, it's an asset! I get these kids and show them respect, so they are more at ease and can develop easier..

It's up to you to figure out what you could and need to delegate, and what maken you high suitable for the job! Aspie's are highly motivated people, several natural born leaders.. Loyal, strict, direct,..

But maybe your place is better in another.. I don't know..

I wish you all the best! Good luck

I hate those pysychometric tests!

Some may disagree, but if you know what an employer is looking for (and it's often relatively easy to find out), it is straightforward enough to make sure your answers "fit" their criteria. Interaction in group situations is always much more difficult at interview, and this is where I have come a cropper in the past, as I guess I was less aware of how I was supposed to be interacting with others in specific work situations (although I think this can sometimes be "learnt" too). As butterfly73 says, having AS can have huge positives for employers - and it does not have to be a bar to leadership positions - if only they tried a little harder to understand.

Where I work has an above average number of people on the spectrum, including me, although I suspect most are undiagnosed. I guess times are changing, slowly, but for the better. Good luck for the future - I'm sure you will succeed!