Sign in to follow this  
tizzmeclare

screening in the classroom

Do you feel that screening a child from the rest of the class is acceptable?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that screening a child from the rest of the class is acceptable?

• yes
    • no

Hi guys,

I was just wondering about what all your thoughts were on screening within the classroom. I have noticed while reading through all the evidence that accompained my son's statement proposal that the ed psych has suggested that he be partially screened from the rest of the class to help him stay on track and concentrate for longer periods of time.

So is this a benifical tool that will enable him, or just a form of segregation that will only highten his sense of being "different".

tizz

Erm this would exclusion while being included in my opinion? If a child needs a screen then I would suggest that they perhaps need a more appropriate educational setting? It means the enviornment is not meeting their needs and how can they feel included when they are being set aside to look different?

Carole

At my son's special school for AS all the students have screened 'work stations', which works brilliantly.

It helps them concentrate; their individual timetables, reminders, photos, etc, are stuck up on the screens; and they are lucky enough to have their own internet-connected PC monitor too (restricted access of course...)!

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I have begged my sons school to give him a screened off work station. His sensory difficulties mean his LSA constantly needs to keep him on track , he looks out of the window into space and could sit like that for a whole lesson and not do any work! Every child is different but this would definitely help my son, he dislikes people looking at him so it would help this issue too.

Our occupational therapist has recommended ds has has sloping board on his desk, it also has a document holder on the front - this also acts as a kind of screen. It is the sensory thing - he gets distracted so this partial screening will help keep him on track.

Elaine

At my request the school set up a workspace for my son. The reason he needs it is that his 'personal space' is absolutely huge and he is uncomfortable if anyone is anywhere near him. Works a treat. It's a special school.

Segregation is not necessarily negative IMHO.

screening is useful sometimes for all sorts of reasons, and yes, it is used to exclude within a class - sort of like a naughty corner but not as a general thing to be used on an individual long term. I have used a screen/ workstation this way - if you behave in such a way then you will need to work over there away from everyone else but when you can show me you can work hard and manage not to .... then you can come back and join us (definitely exclusion but actually a strategy to improve a disruptive child's chance to be included by letting them have time out and take responsibility for their behaviour, I've had children who took to asking to use a screened space when they felt they were getting out of control or frustrated, very useful if used well)

some children really like screening and it helps them feel secure - it gives them their own space for a start which is something very important to some kids with AS, they can organise it the way that suits them and their things aren't as likely to be touched or moved by others, they can have their own personal tools rather than having to scrabble in a pencil tub with anyone else. They don't have to worry about invading someone else's space when they can't even tell where that space is (Com flops all over the place and used to be always getting told off for sprawling across the desk so his neighbour couldn't work properly) and it means that they can join the class for most things - I'd be worried if he is asked to stay there when everyone is on the carpet, doing music, listening to story, reading the big book, doing science experiments .... (ie, most of the time in a primary classroom) - but escape from the hubbub when it's time to concentrate on a task or have time out doing some calming activity to reduce anxiety

it really does depend on how the screened area is presented and used

and how a child feels about it

I'd suggest talking to the teacher about how it might be set up - a safe secure pleasant personal space is very different from a naughty corner and might be just the thing to help some children with AS relax in a mainstream classroom - and then decide whether it might be worth a try

Zemanski

I have seen screening used in our Special Schools and I know that it does work well. But it works for every child and there is not just one child being seperated.

That said it's really about what is of most benefit to the child, it has to be, I would still think that if this has to be done in a mainstream placement, then perhaps it is not the correct placement. One thing that did worry me was a comment I heard about screening from a teacher who said 'Well at least the rest of the class may be able to get on with their work now without the constant interuptions from X' I know that other children must be considered but let's hope that screening is done for the right reasons.

Of course if it works and the child is happier that is all that matters.

Carole

back in the 80s, before we had the national curriculum and all these programmes of study and had to teach whole class all the time and sit them all in horseshoes demanding quick responses to high level questioning I used to have subject based display/work bays around the classroom which any child could use at any time for individual or small group activities - these were what I used in my classroom, they were not primarily for discipline so the connotations of them being places where children were excluded were not there and there were kids that would choose to work in them almost all the time

thinking about it, my classroom was much more ASD friendly than ones I have had more recently - there were always quiet corners for reading, number, puzzles, writing etc, everything took place in a set area, kids weren't crowded on the carpet as often, we tended to spend time on a project all at once, so we might do art every afternoon for a week and then move on to history or science which meant that there was time to finish things and explore them more intensively - many children hardly ever actually finish a piece of work these days.

We also took the children's suggestions when following a topic and would choose topics that suited the class or members of it which gave more scope for using special (or any other) interests.

The emphasis on small group work was probably also helpful.

but standards are so important aren't they?

Zemanski

my son uses a work station at school as do all of the children in his class it works well but it is a special school and they all have asd i would think its not such a good idea in a mainstream environment unless it is what the child wants

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I'm surprised by all the positive comments, as I had only thought of it as a negative thing - so you've given me plenty to think about.

His schooling at present, is in mainstream, however I did notice that the edcuational psychologist did suggest that other resources be looked at, especially at secondary age.

My biggest concern, is that over the last couple of years my son has become very aware of how 'different' he is too other children. He has no friends in school and there is really no interaction, even in class, if he is made to work with another child, it usally results in a meltdown. So I am concerned that by screening him off, he will only suffer from feeling even worse about being different and that the other children will continue to avoid him.

Regards, tizz

I'm still dithering on this one, my heart says its an awful thing to do to a child in a mainstream school, but so many of you have found it to be a postive experience.

I'm going to bring it up with the SENco at the next meeting. They have to arrange one within 2 months according to the newly arrived statement...lets see....

tizz