susiemumof3

the world is full of bubbles?

Hi, my son 9 not yet diagnosed tried to explain to me recently how the world is made of bubbles and he can see them floating around him all the time and bouncing off the trees. Apparently they enter our mouths when we breathe and they are about an inch in diameter and completely clear. I found it really strange but also really interesting hearing him explaining it to me. He asked if I could see it and then worried a bit when I said no. He hasn't really mentioned it since. I was just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this!

Wow!!no experience of that but that sounds like a lovely way to see the world!welcome.xx >:D<<'>

it could be in relation to an sensory experience. maybe is sight is particularly sensitive and is refering to dust particles, shadows or changes in shades of colour or light

Sounds like hes seeing the specs of dust in the air and has acute sight.

I once attended a fascinating lecture on 'The science of soap bubbles' at the University of Kent at Canterbury, given by their then physics lecturer Dr Cyril Isenberg. A name worth looking out for on the popular science lecture circuit!

Could it be something called "synesthesia" , people dealing with this condition literally " See" , the world around them differently.

Some people see numbers, some see the world in letters and some in colours, it's a spectacularly bizarre possibility, but fascinating and very very real to those who have it...

I watched a programme on it.....

My son, when he gets overwhelmed by noise, sees the world as "ALL WOOLLY and all sounds are MUFFLED"

Good luck , keep us posted

Fudge xxx

I know that Donna Williams [ASC adult see her website www.donnawilliams.net] used to see things like that.

My son does have visual differences, and what he sees and hears and experiences is sometimes very different to what we do. I would talk to your son again about it and say that his eyes maybe very good at seeing things that other people cannot see.

I would also recommend a referal to the optician [especially if your children's hospital assesses for Irlen Syndrome]. And also consider sensory processing disorder and see if he is showing symptoms of that. Most of the information we process comes in via the sight, so any differences can affect overall comprehension, processing speed, sensory integration etc.

Check out a fascinating scene with a soap bubble at 15 min 40 sec into this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0175m9n/Will_It_Snow/