Sign in to follow this  
admum

Away from Home

hope you dont mind, Son is 9 and currently looking at schools for secondary transfer/,Son has dx of aspergers adhd and dyspraxia. There are no asd units locally and so have had to consider boarding. Son has high iq but has significant difficulties with maths. We are told however that he should be A level material provided in the right setting. We have looked at baording and saw one this week which he liked- provided that we could solve bedwetting prior to transfer -in just over a year. The school has experience and training of aspergers but is mainly Spld. Can anyone point me in the right direction re social skills training at secondary level for high functioning kids. Im worried that he wont cope as when schools gets too much at present he can come home and have a meltdown.How will his contemporanies view this or will it be too much to "normalise" 24/7. He was quite positive about the idea of boarding but at 10 im worried that he thinks its like harry potter. If he was a bit older i think id be much happier. How have others coped?

I hope not to sound like a deterrent, but I attended a special needs boarding school and didn't enjoy it. The place was generally unpleasant and I didn't think that it catered to my special needs all that well. I did not like or trust one of the headmasters. He made people live under fear.

Perhaps if the school was AS specific and wasn't run by a deluded headmaster who thought he was running a small version of Eton complete with traditional public school culture, then I might have thought better of the place.

Despite my bad experience, I am not against boarding school although many of the special needs schools of the 70s, 80s and early 90s have thankfully closed due to changes in LEA policy once they found out how unsuccessful the places really were. Any surviving special needs schools are probably run by people who understand the special needs of the kids as opposed to taking an iron fist discipline or public school culture approach.