Sign in to follow this  
hollymg

Music classes

This is so minor I'm not sure I should be posting it, but oh well here goes.

He's only 5 so it is probably a little early, but piano lessons seem inevitable in my family and he has been expressing a lot of interest lately in wanting to play (he is impressed with Benny of ABBA LOL), so it is in the back of my mind.

Has anybody had an experience with this good or bad, and suggestions? I have always been fascinated by the Suzuki method but it is more auditory than visual (according to my limited understanding anyway) so I don't know if that would work. What should I be looking for? What age? I'm worried he'll be too shy--the teacher will probably think he is ignoring him but then he'd likely practice in his room alone...

Hi Hollymg,

I only have my own experience of this as a child with (at that time) undiagnosed AS. I learnt piano by the suzuki method. Music seems to appeal to many with ASDs, especially classical music - maybe because of its regularities. The only problems I had were - poor co-ordination (I still struggle with this in terms of producing perfect performances, but playing the piano helps improve my co-ordination), frustration at the rigid 'grades' system - I was much happier once I was allowed to play what I liked.

Your son may well be very different but it sounds like a great idea to encourage him to try. You might just need to shop around a little for a well matched teacher.

I look forward to his future recitals :D

Dot, with dyspraxia and dyslexia loves music and plays keyboard - she doesn't have as much difficulty reading music as she does reading words and it's dead good for her coordination, fine motor control, body awareness and self -esteem B)

Dot actually has two lessons a week - through school and through music school on a saturday morning - this helps her keep up with the others who only do one lesson a week which is important as she has group lessons (we thought we might get her individual piano lessons later if it looks like she wants to carry on - can't afford them just now anyway). Both lessons are very relaxed and there is no pressure to achieve grades.

Com can't even come down the stairs with any rhythm and dislikes certain pitches and instruments but did enjoy learning the tabla and steel pans at school. unfortunately it is too much hard work for him and he really isn't interested so we didn't bother with lessons.

He does have a friend with AS and dyspraxia though who plays the clarinet and has really taken to it. He is doing grades and seems happy with that. He's getting pretty good and uses it as a relaxation thing now - his mum says he's much calmer if he practices regularly.

Zemanski

I am a music teacher in a special school for students with Asperger Syndrome and related disorders.

In my experience all our students bring their own (diverse!) likes and dislikes to the music classroom - my job is to widen their musical experiences and they can take it or leave it from there.

I have some students who used to play the piano before dx but now anxiety overshadows their ability to learn any more.

I have one student who had never played a keyboard before trying it out in one of my lessons and he has now found this to be his 'thing' - obsession / stim whatever you call it he has emersed himself in learning to play and has practically taught himself up to grade 2 level in 1 year. He drives the school mad as he is always playing but at the same time he enthuses others to give it a go.

My main point is this: Any student with AS will take to the piano if they want to learn and can enjoy it enough to be dedicated to it but my advice is to only ever encourage and take their lead. Never 'teach', just 'show' or demonstrate. I have keyboard books with basic step by step instructions which allow them to learn themselves, at their own pace.

I always encourage an interest but let the student take the lead of where they want to go with it. I just provide them with the opportunities to do so. And it's very rewarding! We produced our 1st CD of student performances last year and its good too!

Let your son show you what he wants to try/achieve. Provide him with the opportunity and see where it takes you. Find a tutor who understands (or is happy to learn about) his AS. Enjoy what comes of it and be ready to move on to something else if it doesn't work out.

Go for it!

Hope this helps

Lesley :thumbs:

PS My son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with AS. He's 4, due to start school in Sept. We posted our tribunal case last week and I have just finished writing out my ombudsman complaint. Wish me luck!! :(

Hi Lesley, welcome to the forum and good luck with your battle. :pray: You'll find many of us here can relate to what you're going through.

Music is something my 16 year old has always loved although her coordination problems have made it difficult for her to learn an instrument. She tried the violin at 8 but didn't get very far and couldn't manage the recorder either. In later years she enjoyed the keyboard although found formal lessons hard. She has started nagging me to get one - she may well be one of those people who teaches herself eventually as she is very musical.

Her best instrument has turned out to be her voice - she has perfect pitch apparently - and we are very proud of the fact that she got grade 5 singing last year. Her individual lessons at school were little oases of relaxation in a very stressful environment, a chance to get away from the classroom and get some one to one attention from a teacher who really liked her. She still sings to herself all of the time and is one of the few people who still sounds good singing with the headphones on. :lol: