newbie101

reaching your limit in what you can do

Hello,

As someone with mild Asbergers, even mild Asbergers effectively bars you from certain jobs due to the characteristics of the job. For example most Aspies cannot cope with a changing situation (where a plan is made but often is not stuck to and the environment is very 'fluid'). Because if this jobs in the military, police, any job which does not have a fairly well structured routine are considerably harder for Aspies. Of course, if every possible scenario is rehearsed this can be compensated for, but this is not realistic; and lets face it, would you want to employ someone who's reaction to a change in the plan was less 'diverse' or 'fluid' compared to the others?

Having done the RN AIB, that was the main reason I did not pass it, despite several years doing military activities and being in a 'fluid' environment. I had hoped that I would eventually become more diverse and adaptable. However I now know that I am only able to do this up to a point, and not beyond this. Compared to 4 years ago I have improved considerably but because of by Aspie brain wiring adaptability will never be second nature to me, despite my efforts; and as such it is simply not practical to do.

I am able to do jobs which require a fair amount of adaptability, as I have been in this environment for sometime, hoewver before I was unable to do that.

The point I am making is that, if you want to increase adaptability one way of improving this is to do an activity which requires this. Although I hated (and I cannot emphasise this enough, for an aspie a military environment is constant adaptation and that part of it is living hell!) it certainly pushed my Aspie boundaries.

I think essentially you are right. I can think of loads of things that I've got better at, the frustrating part is how much longer certain things take me to learn than other people I've known (like talking to people, or interacting with them, or being able to tell what mood they are in or if they are bored of me blah blah blah) basically social things, and changing things, and most learning, just about everything actually...

Anyway - doing is probably the best bet at improving, if improvement is what is desired :D

Best to assess the extend of your Asbergers and then limit your jobs to ones that involve a well structured routine.

My argument (nature versus nuture) is that if you constantly place yourself in a dynamic or fluid situation, despite being constantly stressed out (and hating it) you will adapt and learn how to deal with it.

Of course this will only work up to a point and this point is set by nature (your brain wiring is different after all). Each person's limit is different, and my argumet for putting oneself through the 'training' to start with is that, despite being unpleasant, it should result in one being able (not liking or preferring to) to do a wider variety of jobs.

It would be very easy to put yourself in a shell and say 'right, no surprises or challenges for the rest of my life' but if you do that you are not going to be prepared for the real world.

As someone with mild Asbergers, even mild Asbergers
Best to assess the extend of your Asbergers.....

I know I'm being pedantic, but it's Asperger's Syndrome with a 'p'. It's named after Hans Asperger.

I know I'm being pedantic, but it's Asperger's Syndrome with a 'p'. It's named after Hans Asperger.

I agree :thumbs: also there is no such thing as "mild aspergers" ,aspergers is described as being a "mild" form of autism on the spectrum, so in a way you cannot get any "milder" if that makes sense.

I agree :thumbs: also there is no such thing as "mild aspergers" ,aspergers is described as being a "mild" form of autism on the spectrum, so in a way you cannot get any "milder" if that makes sense.

Asperger's Syndrome is differentiated from High Functioning Autism by the absence of a speech delay - these are both separated from Kanner's/Classic Autism by IQ. It frustrates me when AS is described as 'mild autism' - my difficulties are different not less significant.

Asperger's Syndrome is differentiated from High Functioning Autism by the absence of a speech delay - these are both separated from Kanner's/Classic Autism by IQ. It frustrates me when AS is described as 'mild autism' - my difficulties are different not less significant.

I agree with you there hence the reason why I put mild in inverted commas as I do not by any means think that AS is mild, I have one son with AS and another with HFA, so I do realise that. I just wanted to say that there is no such thing as mild AS. Hope that clears things up.