kazemporium

melatonin purchase in UK

Hi

My son was prescribed melatonin from the paed however as he has been discharged from her i am unable to get her to write me a prescription.

I have been to my gp however they will not prescribed and they advised me to go online and purchase some.

Does anyone else buy online if so please could you recommend a site to me so i know it is safe.

Thanks

Hi

My son was prescribed melatonin from the paed however as he has been discharged from her i am unable to get her to write me a prescription.

I have been to my gp however they will not prescribed and they advised me to go online and purchase some.

Does anyone else buy online if so please could you recommend a site to me so i know it is safe.

Thanks

Hi

I'm absolutely stunned that a GP would advise you to go online and purchase melatonin. I'd make a formal complaint on the grounds that under shared care protocol between Paed/GP (irrespective of discharge), that a need for it has been identified and should continue (unless, of course, Paed is now saying otherwise). Sorry, but don't know of any reputable websites.

Caroline.

I totally agree with Cmuir

......some Gp's haven't a clue with melatonin and think it gets abused for 'fake tans'.it is available online for jetlag and sleep disorders without prescription.Go back to your Gp and explain it to him/her again and if its still a no no then just vote with your feet and go to another Gp.The irony is that they'd probably have no problem prescribing serious and strong mental health drugs.My Gp has precribed it for me but has made it plain that it should be used to re enable my natural melatonin/sleep rythem and not taken all the time but just used to re synch me.i would'nt reccommend the web for ANY drugs/potions as you don't know what your getting ,in terms of purity and dosage.

I totally agree with Cmuir

......some Gp's haven't a clue with melatonin and think it gets abused for 'fake tans'.it is available online for jetlag and sleep disorders without prescription.Go back to your Gp and explain it to him/her again and if its still a no no then just vote with your feet and go to another Gp.The irony is that they'd probably have no problem prescribing serious and strong mental health drugs.My Gp has precribed it for me but has made it plain that it should be used to re enable my natural melatonin/sleep rythem and not taken all the time but just used to re synch me.i would'nt reccommend the web for ANY drugs/potions as you don't know what your getting ,in terms of purity and dosage.

Apparently GP's cannot prescribe melatonin(maybe just to kids?) this is what I have been told. You have to get it from a paediatrician. Definatley don't buy online for one thing its bordering on being illegal,maybe just my opinion,but also you never know if you getting the real deal and I am sure you would not want to find out the hard way.

If the paed you have seen before is not available there should be a paed covering or at least one onsite that knows your case,or read your notes, and prescribe it for you so you should not even have to go to the GP. Even if the child has been discharged you can still phone up as and when you need a prescription they don't need to actually give you an appointment unless they feel your child no longer needs it. However if you still not getting anywhere then see a GP who can refer you to someone who will prescribe it.

Edited by justine1

There are reputable sites and you can buy it online, however I'd not recommend that - you are better to contact your paediatrician and get them to write to your GP asking them to prescribe it. Many GPs wont prescribe it because it isn't licensed.

Lynne

I can recommend a site: www.biovea.co.uk

I've used this site a few times, no problems, it's only melatonin after all which just helps with getting you to sleep, so you are safe to try out this site and order if you wish.

I can recommend a site: www.biovea.co.uk

I've used this site a few times, no problems, it's only melatonin after all which just helps with getting you to sleep, so you are safe to try out this site and order if you wish.

I wasn't going to recommend anywhere but seeing as you have I will add that we've used that site previously with no issues, as have friends and it's also the one that my friend was recommended by her paed.

Hi

Just to follow on from my previous post and pick up on some of the other posts... Initially my son was prescribed melatonin by his consultant. She wrote out a prescription and then advised on subsequent occasions to see our GP. I visited our GP who said he couldn't prescribe it. I therefore contacted my son's consultant and advised that our GP wasn't at all comfortable with prescribing it. She contacted him and advised that under shared care protocol, he was continue prescribing it. Since then, we've had no problems.

I really feel that people shouldn't have to resort to buying it over the internet. I dare say that there are reputable sites, however, where do you start? How do you know which ones are reputable ones? One simply shouldn't be put in that position. I think your GP has been downright irresponsible and unprofessional in advising you to do that. I'd flag up the issue with the Paediatrician and see if there's anything s/he can do.

Perhaps it's a lottery postcode issue?

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir

I think its dependent on each local authority. When we were living in Aberdeenshire our GP could prescribe it, and actually, even when we were up over the summer and got stuck there for an extra 5 days the GP was able to give us a weeks supply. Here in Middlesex we can only get it from our Paed - the GP cant/wont prescribe it. And because I can only get it from our Paed I have to get it from the hospital pharmacy too which is a real pain in the behind as it's over half an hours drive away and you always have to wait ages.

Lynne

I have used melatonin for jet lag and lately for turning the mind off so I can have a chance at sleeping, some doctors know it is very good and are happy with people taking it, my doctor was even asking where I get mine as it appears I have a good one, but then I get mine via my step mother who is a Scandinavian ICU nurse and well she knows the best places to get meds. My doctor on my last visit to he last week told me another of his patients, an adult with AS has been managing their mind with melatonin too and reports good findings. It is a sore pity British medics are so anal about it in terms of what the mere patient should take to cure their own ills, could it be they are speaking on behalf of pharmaceutical companies ? A pity Kava Kava was banned too, as that one I used to take daily to calm things down.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

after over 2 years of dx manchster nhs are still well behind the curve.can't get melatonin on nhs,its banned,cos they reckon its £800 a month!still for when my sleep synch goes out........I drink a bottle of cider to get me to sleep.I've been a non drinker all my life but i've learnt the nhs will screw you up with drugs designed to contain severe mental illness so beware.you'll find most of your problems will be to do with side effects of drugs than the actuall asd.so glad my parents were'nt middle class because I would be addicted to nhs drugs by now (and very likely dead) and even further removed from understanding my asd problems.

Melatonin,in short amounts,exercise and diet.....is all many of us need.whats startling is how many proffesional (sick) think that asd problems are all 'in the mind'.Its no wonder the first recourse is usually for mental health drugs,and mainly for containment of 'symptoms' so the asd'rs family can contain the behaviours.