Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Interim Review Meeting

We have just recieved a lette?r from DS's school inviting us to his Interim Review Meeting.

I feel a bit like Cat in Red Dwarf - "What is it?"

Obviously its a meeting to review DS's progress, but "What is it?" Is it a school only thing? a Statement thing? A professionals thing? I haven't been formally invited to one before :unsure: but this is a new school, and his first Statement.....

We have just recieved a lette?r from DS's school inviting us to his Interim Review Meeting.

I feel a bit like Cat in Red Dwarf - "What is it?"

Obviously its a meeting to review DS's progress, but "What is it?" Is it a school only thing? a Statement thing? A professionals thing? I haven't been formally invited to one before :unsure: but this is a new school, and his first Statement.....

Hi

I was told Sam would have one of these, he started at his school in May got his statement last October but had been out of school November-May. They said because he was out of school for so long and they were not sure if an ASD unit would be best for him they would do a interim meeting in July(after he had been there for 3 months.)They said it would be just the school and anyone working with him in the school like SALT and that if he was not coping we would discuss whether he should change schools when his statement would be reviwed after summer. However the meeting never happened.

I then suddenly got a draft statement during summer and nobody explained anything to me. I had to sign for it even though I had not been for his annnual review meeting at that point. Anyway I finally went to his anual review meeting a few weeks ago and everything is fine. I am happy with his progress.

So I assume it must be a half way point or similar just to see if the school should contact the SEN team to make changes to the statement, so when it comes to the review meeting you would already know what to expect.

Here's some information from ACE about the full Annual Review process, and the downloadable booklet has a bit on page 6 about the interim review which is a mini version of the full "proper" review. Even though it's not a full review you could still use the ACE booklet as a guide to prepare questions and comments for the meeting.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-education-for-parents/Special_Educational_Needs/understanding-annual-reviews

As you say, the purpose is to check how your son is progressing but it's unlikely to have the same level of formality as the Annual Review which you'll probably have round about April (?). An interim review is not a requirement of the process but can be initiated for various reasons: e.g. if things are not going well, or needs are rapidly changing and the situation can't wait until the full review. I'm guessing it's been initiated by the school. They don't have to stick to the normal timescales or procedures and you may find it's just school staff unless there's a particuar reason why someone else should be there.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

You could always ask the school 'what' the interim review is going to be about and you could also ask them 'why' they felt the need to have one. It would help you to be prepared if you had as much information as possible ie. who is going to attend, is there an agenda etc. Depending on the answers you get, if the PP has been useful to you in the past, it might be helpful for them to go with you.

Hi

I've just had a look at the report from DSs interim review. It was just me, the class teacher, head of Unit and SENCO. It was held 6 months after he started at the unit, and was just to see how he was getting on. The main aim was to make sure that we were all happy and doing what was needed to support DS at school and home - nothing heavy or too formal. We've since had his annual review which was a more formal affair with lots of form-filling.

Hope that helps

Nicky x

Thanks everyone.

The reason I'm so confused is that only two weeks ago we had a meeting with the school just to ensure everything was going smoothly (he only started there in Sept, so we wanted a meeting at the end of the first half term, once they had a chance to get to know him a bit). That one included Parents, Child, Tutor, SENCO, LSA, Year Leader and Assistant Head and was quite positive.

They did agree that he needed full time 1:1 (which was we had said), rather than just the 12 hours as in his Statement - maybe that's what has prompted the Interim Review? But I would have thought a full review would have been more appropriate if that was the case :unsure: The school has provided full time 1:1 for him so far.....

We'll wait and see I suppose. there is only one thing that I particularly want added, and I wil try once again to get it added into his Statement, otherwise, I'm prety happy to go along with whatever the scool suggests(within reason)

Edited by KezT

As you say, it may be to discuss increasing the amount of 1-1, especially if the school will struggle to provide this for much longer. The decision can only be made by the ones who hold the purse strings though, so it would be helpful if someone from the LA was there.

After a full review you get the right of appeal against amendments or lack of amendments to the statement. As far as I know you don't have this right after an interim review.

K x

Phew - just school people, plus the LA SEN officer (a new one - yipee), and all very positive and good stuff:)

Very relieved :thumbs:

Phew - just school people, plus the LA SEN officer (a new one - yipee), and all very positive and good stuff:)

Thats great news >:D<<'>

Oh that's good :D