Kathryn

FORUM PRACTICE THREAD

It's quoting a quote within a quote I have difficulty with here - on other forums it works a treat but here it's slightly more complicated.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Full Editor darkshine - I'll have to remember that one (in future!!). I did wonder if it was possible as there was no tick box before posting an edit/change asking it to hide the "edited by x" sentence underneath which can some times be more prominent than your message Grrrr!!!

Another thing that annoys me (on any forum) is when a message you add ends up as the last one on a page which then gets skipped when people want to see the latest page or you post in reply to someone but another member has added something just before you've finished typing and clicked 'Post' and it looks like you're replying to them!

Edited by Mike_GX101

It's quoting a quote within a quote I have difficulty with here - on other forums it works a treat but here it's slightly more complicated.

Do you mean taking one (or more) parts of one big quote like this? (or like what I've done to your message?)

I'll use Kathryn's first post from this thread as an example - I guess it's ok to use that for an example :lol:

Would you like to quote another post in your reply but don't know how?

If this is what you mean - there's a simple method to the way quotes work on here.

The thread where you can make as many mistakes as you want to, try things out and see if they work.

Method 1. In the tool bar above where you write your message there's a symbol that looks like a speech bubble (between the double blue arrows and the twitter symbols).

This can be used around any block of text, you can copy the text you want to quote, press that button (the speech bubble) and the word quote will appear twice with brackets and stuff - any text has to be between these two command words.

This method does not say who you have quoted.

So method 2... you press the quote button on a person's reply and you get a block of text appear at the bottom in the type message box.

It's essentially the same method, except this time you get a timestamp at the start of the quote - this holds the information to say who said it originally - all the text is between that and the quote command at the end.

These commands have to be there or what you quote won't come up right.

My favourite method after pressing "quote" on a message - and assuming I want to edit it, or use a couple of sections to reply to separately - is that once it goes into the reply box at the bottom, I copy the whole lot. I then remove the text I don't want, and leave the sentence I do want (with the important timestamp number and the quote command at the end).

I then press return and say what I want to say - press return again (I like spaces)

And past the whole lot in again below it - and basically edit out what I don't need and repeat the process.

Edited by darkshine

In some other forums though all one has to do is click "reply" on a previous post which is already quoting someone else hence the code looking something like this:

"new user 3 quote OPEN" "user 1 quote OPEN" user 1 says something "user 2 quote OPEN" user 2 says something important "user 2 quote CLOSED" user 1 states they agree "user 1 quote CLOSED" new user 3 discusses both quotes and concludes "new user 3 quote CLOSED".

User 3 is creating the new post (i.e. you/me/us today). User 1 stated their quote 2 days ago and the quote he used by user 2 was stated 3 days ago just to aid illustration a bit.

The onscreen result = a quote box within a quote box with a comment underneath the whole thing from you/me/us.

Edited by Mike_GX101

Ok... just gonna test that...

yeah buddy!!!!

That is really weird yet brilliant :D

The onscreen result = a quote box within a quote box with a comment underneath the whole thing from you/me/us.

Do you mean like this?

What I did was multiquote the relevant quotes. (you just hit the button "multiquote" once for each post you wanna quote and the text all appears in the reply box at the bottom of the screen)

I then edited them so that AS Warriors giant white noise box didn't appear, and I removed a lot of your text (Mike)

Then, I cut the lot out of my reply box.

I then pressed the speech bubble symbol I told you about

Then, between the two commands, I pasted the test back in.

And replied beneath it (as you can see lol)

Does this help? :D

Edited by darkshine

I guess it's all down to preference, I don't mind using the "@AS Warrior" type thing at times, but I think in some situations it can sound - I dunno, blunt or overly direct - it all depends on what's been said, and who you are replying to I guess....

There's more than one way to skin a cat :devil:

- darkshine

dear darkshine

OI YOU! THE ONE WITH THE BLACK PICTURE!!

in reasponse to the hounerable gentleman in the black

in reciept of darkshines post.

plenty of out there, quoting is just a lazy way out.

You should use that as your Avatar A-S!!!

Did that previous explanation help or should I give up? (reply # 47/48) :lol:

Let's see...

Yes that works - thanks Darkshine. I just couldn't work out why when I selected MultiQuote it only ever gave me the option of selecting 1 quote even if there was more than one quote contained within the message I was MultiQuoting from. But now I can see that each time you do MultiQuote it doesn't restart your message at the bottom but adds the new quote "in addtion to" the last one(s) which really does help. My only complaint is it doesn't keep all the quotes together when you simply 'hit' reply.

Yes that works - thanks Darkshine. I just couldn't work out why when I selected MultiQuote it only ever gave me the option of selecting 1 quote even if there was more than one quote contained within the message I was MultiQuoting from. But now I can see that each time you do MultiQuote it doesn't restart your message at the bottom but adds the new quote "in addtion to" the last one(s) which really does help. My only complaint is it doesn't keep all the quotes together when you simply 'hit' reply.

You're welcome - I know there's annoying flaws.... but there's usually a way round them, and judging by your other attempt where you've quoted yourself like 6 times, it works alright for you :lol:

You're welcome - I know there's annoying flaws.... but there's usually a way round them, and judging by your other attempt where you've quoted yourself like 6 times, it works alright for you :lol:

dkcvwbeotigjtklmffnvf 3btrviojenfrhvb3ijrnfjfb3thgitrelkmsndb

heres my new lol emoticon

hahadog.gif say goodbye to this one :lol:

You should use that as your Avatar A-S!!!

So what's the verdict A-S Warrior - are you going to use the laughing dog as your Avatar?

Does anyone know how to upload pictures please? I have good ones I'd like to add to my Faces in Places page but cannot find the "attachment" tool. The picture link requesting an url is of no use as I have nowhere to host them online.

Thanks

You upload them to another website like flickr or photobucket (for example) and then link to them through here - the picture will then appear in your message like how people do the youtube video's and stuff.

What an excellent thread idea cheers Kathryn for creating this forum.

Just so you know folks the name of the place just under your name is to do with how many posts you make. Snowdon is used to describe newer members rather than your location which is under your user name.

Just so you know folks the name of the place just under your name is to do with how many posts you make. Snowdon is used to describe newer members rather than your location which is under your user name.

I have noticed AS-warrior has been able to modify this even before he became a mod

I have noticed AS-warrior has been able to modify this even before he became a mod

Yeah, if you go onto edit your profile, and scroll down, you should see a blank box with the word 'members title' you can type into that box whatever you like.

Not sure if this a practice or real

I really am new to this

This thread must be v old as last date I can see is dec 2012.

How do I place an emoticon I've ticked the box now what?

Help if there is anyone reading

Thanks

Not sure if this a practice or real

I really am new to this

This thread must be v old as last date I can see is dec 2012.

How do I place an emoticon I've ticked the box now what?

Help if there is anyone reading

Thanks

Click and reply as full edit then there is a smiley face at the top u click on it

Hi Special_talent123,,

Sorry to be so stupid, but still haven't not managed an emoticon?

I've clicked reply where is full edit? cannot see a smiley face anywhere? To click?

The box I can click just says add reply ,next to that is preview post,next to that is cancel, to the right is a tick box option of enable emoticons which I've ticked.

Help again please

Thank you