Sign in to follow this  
suzanneiom1

harleys 1st assesment coming up, and im now seeing traits in myself too?!?!

Harleys 1st assesment is coming up at the end of the month feeling slightly nervous! he has started to babble quite alot the past few days which is good, he has started to point to, but when he points he sometimes crosses his two fingers, like you would do for good luck? dont no what that means. Also now iv been reasuring behaviers i can see alot of traits in myself for eg... the past three yrs iv found it very hard to keep friends, when invited somewhere where i dont really no anybody i dread what to say or speak about as i feel i have nothing to offer in conversation topic.. i enjoy the sound of the vacum, tumble dryer, washing machine in the background when im at home, i dont no why this is.. when im upset i dont spk to anyone and block everyone out asif there all against me... is this my personality?? or have i posibley something wrong, any ideas anyone

suzanne

I think most parents going through a diagnosis with their child do begin to see traits in themselves or other family members. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may have an ASD, there are many parents on this forum that do. Or it maybe personality. But to get an actual diagnosis you would need to have significant clinical difficulties in all the areas needed to get a diagnosis.

Part, or all of the things you list could be down to your own personality. Some parents do go on to seek a diagnosis of themselves, after their child has been diagnosed. But for the time being I would not worry about yourself too much, other than maybe using your insights into yourself to maybe help you get some understanding on how your child might perceive the world? Whilst also recognising that everyone on the spectrum is different, and the things you like/dislike could be the complete opposite for your son.

Hi Suzanne,

I'm glad you're getting somewhere with Harley's assessment.

ASD does seem to be genetic, so it is possible that you have ASD too. A lot of adults who get diagnosed with ASD end up first realising they had it after their child gets diagnosed. There are other parents on this forum who have realised this way.

The things you have mentioned do sound typical of ASD. There are many other things they could be caused by as well though. I think it would be a good idea to read up on ASD in adults as much as possible and see if it still makes sense. If you still think you have ASD, then it might be a good idea to seek an assessment for yourself as well. In any case, it would probably be a good idea to try and get some understanding of your difficulties and how you might find ways to get around your difficulties.

The only thing that doesn't quite sound like ASD is that it's only the past 3 years you've had the social difficulties. ASD is a lifelong condition, so you would have had these difficulties since at least early childhood if you have ASD.