Sign in to follow this  
Jade

AS Diagnosis

Hi

My son was formally diagnosed with ASD on monday (paediatrician said they don't use the term Aspergers any more!!). Its been a long process, i'm relieved that its conformed in some ways, at least i know im dealing with him appropriately. Flip side though is that im also quite down about it.

Hi,

Just wanted to send you some >:D<<'> >:D< (i'm not very good with words!). I also felt very down once i received a formal diagnosis for my son, even though i'd known for ages he had AS. Lots of other parents on this forum have also felt this way.

That feeling does ease, it just takes a while to come to terms with the reality of it. I hope this is of some comfort to you.

Take care,

Loulou

You are bound to be down about it.

It is a relief to finally have it in writing that your suspicions and concerns were right. But it leaves you with alot of uncertainties and worries for the future.

Did the paediatrician give you any information, or refer you to any services?

Are they going to write a report or letter for the school?

Do you have reports from other professionals that have been part of the diagnosis process eg. Educational/Clinical Psychologist, Speech Therapist or Occupational Therapist?

How is he doing in school? Is he on school action or school action plus?

I remember when I was at this stage, and I had thought that the diagnosis would be the end of the road. When actually it was the beginning.

So give yourself time to learn about how ASD affects your child. Remember he is exactly the same child pre and post diagnosis. What may alter is your perceptions, expectations for the future.

Try to take some time out for a while. I know that is easier said than done.

Give yourself time to come to terms with it and to deal with this information. Everyone reacts differently. I know that I went through a very bad time. I needed to grieve for the child I felt I had lost.

The next stage to then think about is getting a Statement of Special Educational Needs.

Edited by Sally44

Hi Jade,

What Sally said, basiclly. Give yourself a bit of time to digest the news and remember your son is still the same boy that you love. Hopefully the formal diagnosis will mean more and better access to whatever he needs to help him.

We're here if you want to talk about it

K x

Hey, thankyou for your kind replies and thoughts.

Its strange that however much you know in yourself whats going on, its still hard to get that formal diagnosis.

M has been on school action plus for a while. I have quite detailed reports from Ed psych and his clinical psychologist. I found out that he is getting a Statement of Educational Needs, but they haven't yet decided what support and or funding will be attached to it. School are making an application for emergency funding in the meantime. The psychologist that he was seeing has recently left for another job which is very disappointing in terms of continuity for him (and me if im honest), so the paediatrician has said she will see us again before christmas rather than having to meet someone new.

I feel mach better now i've had a few days to adjust to the reality of our situation. I love my son to bits. I think this is a positive thing and i hope we can move forward with more confidence now.

Jx

Since my diagnosis, I have got my A levels, graduated from university and got my driving licence.

I'm now in my own place (almost 5 years)which I got on a housing scheme for the learning disabled

or mentally unwell.