Fourthdimension

The errors of attribution! and the rest!

Me and my friend were walking in the shop , she has aspergers too. She pointed out alot of stuff such as why do you think he wears this or she does that what message are people trying to portray?

Well , we all know the errors of attribution that people are nt always thinking what we think they think about us however how about taking the following into consideration:

We are different, we think different, live different. Everything we do we assign purpose and significance too. We dont do something because we think its a good idea we do it because there is reason behind it.

Most people dont. People go about there every day lives asleep. They dont try to assign purpose or meaning or significance they just do it because they want too.

So the next time you see someone and you wonder why do they do that just remember that we think differently so we cant use our way of thinking to interpret their behaviour. You cant read a latin book using the english language so what makes us think we can understand others using our own thought patterns . we cant. So next time you see someone and you think if that was me i would do that because........just stop and remember they are not you and most likely they have no reason for their behaviour.

When i go camping i see sheep walk from one corner to the field to the next corner. why? for the same reason Nt's do what they do....because their bored and want exercise. Not because its going to be a significant movement in their life

Me and my friend were walking in the shop , she has aspergers too. She pointed out alot of stuff such as why do you think he wears this or she does that what message are people trying to portray?

Well , we all know the errors of attribution that people are nt always thinking what we think they think about us however how about taking the following into consideration:

We are different, we think different, live different. Everything we do we assign purpose and significance too. We dont do something because we think its a good idea we do it because there is reason behind it.

Most people dont. People go about there every day lives asleep. They dont try to assign purpose or meaning or significance they just do it because they want too.

So the next time you see someone and you wonder why do they do that just remember that we think differently so we cant use our way of thinking to interpret their behaviour. You cant read a latin book using the english language so what makes us think we can understand others using our own thought patterns . we cant. So next time you see someone and you think if that was me i would do that because........just stop and remember they are not you and most likely they have no reason for their behaviour.

When i go camping i see sheep walk from one corner to the field to the next corner. why? for the same reason Nt's do what they do....because their bored and want exercise. Not because its going to be a significant movement in their life

The error of attribution: to think the way YOU think (or think you think) is in any way indicative of a general way of thinking that can be sweepingly applied to the rest of the autistic community, or to think that what YOU think (or think you think) about the way 'most other people' think is in any way indicative of a general way of thinking that can be sweepingly applied to the 'nt' community.

Additionally, I don't know if it's what you meant or just the way you said it, but the sheep / NT comparison you make is both inaccurate and insulting: inaccurate because sheep and NT's do the things they do for all sorts of reasons that go way beyond boredom and a desire for exercise, and as insulting, as, say, me suggesting that people who make sweeping generalisations about the nature of others are bovine idiots.

L&P

BD

Hi FD,

This is now your third post where you attribute your views to everyone with autism!

I have a dx of AS, and I have a very, very different view of the world and AS compared to you.

Of course on a forum we can all express our opinions. But please stop talking about 'them' and 'us'.

In the nicest possible way, you don't speak for me!

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Not knowing for sure if I am AS or NT but I take offense to this post either way. Everyone is individual, even those that follow trends blindly, that don't do anything particularly independently, they still make that choice and I defend their right to do so. Why are you so disparaging of people that just want to get on with their lives in the way they prefer.

Oh and I do go about my life half asleep, that's the result of raising a child with serious sleep disturbances. I defend my right to follow the crowd when I feel like it and I defend my right to be different and even weird if I want to.

People on the spectrum vary incredibly and have similarities and even differences just like NT's - I know this cuz otherwise there wouldn't be any disagreement and we all know there's plenty of that at times ;)

And there's also plenty of agreements between people - whether on the spectrum or not and of all ages and from many different walks of life.

Where does this term come from anyway? Does anyone know? Who started the "people are sheep" thing? and why sheep?

Hi Baddad,

I know That what i think about people cant be sweepingly applied to people but too attempt to learn about people such as relationships and attraction and other stuff is to start to devlop an idea of how people think and to be honest in my eyes there is two types of people and in noway is it a seperation between aspies and Nt's but i always find alot more aspies fall into this catagory and that is that their awake and attempt to realise how people act , how the world acts rather than taking a lazy approach to knowledge and follow suit as you find the majority do, more so nt people because they dont need knowledge when they have social ties.

So yes the sheep not only that which has much in common with some aspies and sorry to say this as you will all just say i am been judgemental and arrogant but i must say a majority of NT's aswell as other people who walk around with their eyes shut to the ironies of life do walk and feed for a reason i guess you were right. To nourish and postively reinforce their blind ignorance to the chaos that stalks them in this world. The chaos which is this world and to postively reinforce this a bit like taking the lamb to the slaughter.

So i guess your right that sweeping generlisisations could be made by bovine idiots ,like say thinking that i just meant NT's when i was talking about sheep as could been over assumptious on a piece of text be readily percieved as been arrogant and egocentric and selfish be easily assumed to be as such by people bovine idiots

cheers Baddad

Hi Bid, Which part says i am speaking for everyone with autism. Could you point that out for me? As i just said above bid not all people from the same catagorie fall under the same sub catogory however the disntiction between us and them is not specifically saying aspies and Nt's. Its talking about the people who are awake to whats going on and the people who are asleep thinking life is a field of sunflowers and then they get lost in that field because they never look up too see the rain falling so when they finally find the way of that field and see the emptyness before them they are less prepared for it.

In the nicest way possible my friend , i dont want to speak for you. No offence . As i said in my other post why should i feel responsible enough to speak for you when my own responsibility is to speak for myself and hope i find or relate to a few who understand through similarities

"Just typing this because I'm bored and my fingers need exercise." good one Kat :D Baaba :P

Hi Dekra - I never said we are not individual i am just taking a nomothetic outlook on life trying to find the logical laws that must be in place whilst not disregarding the ideographic concept but instead trying to say that ideographical laws can still be present in a nomothetic law so for example to say everyone acts in a similar way is to say their is a universal law that suits everyone and to say that their is sub catogries of different types of people is still nomothetic but then to define the traits and characters of those people that have been defined by a nomothetic law in an ideographic way is still saying that people are individual but under different circumstances develop different traits.

Why do you have to defend their right to do so? as i said in a previous post we all speak and are responsible for ourselves so why should we defend other peoples rights when that is just trespassing.

Am not having a go at people who walk around half asleep or want to live life in their own way i am only making a distinction filled with personalizations of my own and your right we do all have the right to make our own choice and preference and if walking around half asleep following the crowd is your preference rather than a conditioning of society then do so happily but just because we feel like options make us follow blindly it does nt mean they really do , their is always self help to resolve a situation rather than adhering to the crowd.

Hehe i agree with that Darkshine :D your right.

"People, like sheep, tend to follow a leader - occasionally in the right direction." written by Alexander Chase who is a genius. Legend has it he was born in Ottawa, Canada and was raised by wolves. He then rejoined society and became a success.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_Alexander_Chase#ixzz1eMsqpWzz

I think thats where the saying came from

Hi Bid, Which part says i am speaking for everyone with autism. Could you point that out for me?

Well, I would interpret the following to be you speaking for people with AS:

So the next time you see someone and you wonder why do they do that just remember that we think differently so we cant use our way of thinking to interpret their behaviour.

And in your thread 'A stranger in a strange world' you also say:

Well as we all know a symptom of aspergers is feeling that we dont belong in this world.

Again, I interpret this as you speaking for everyone with AS. If that wasn't your intention, then apologies, but that is how it appears to me :unsure:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

A note on sheep :lol:;)

WE - as human beings :sick: sorry - hate to even identify with the species sometimes :P sorry again cuz I lost thread hehe

Sheep were made the way they are by people - cuz of course the statement "people are sheep" means domestic varieties that have been directed/tamed/trained/bred in certain ways by the people who raise, keep, and use them.

An interesting thing - on the moors - if you copy the whistles that the farmer gives to tell his dog where to move the sheep - the sheep will run in set directions even if no dog is present - curious and possibly only true of the few flocks I saw this happen with...

Anyway... it gives you more ammo because if sheep are stupid and blind and follow each other to death - it is only because we have made them that way - because wild sheep - such as bighorn sheep - they do not have the exact behaviours of say a black face ewe living in a fenced field in England ;)

I personally use the term "ants" myself when I am having one of these kinds of rants - because the sheep argument falls short as many domestic cattle display a lot of these behaviours - and also if you look at horses - if there's a danger and lots of them bolt, some will run together, but they also will run on their own, or stand stock still frozen (this is more like people cuz they don't all follow each other in times that are different to the norm - such as in moments of danger).

Even my ants rants could be pulled apart though - I mean it in the sense that ants are insignificant to most people (unless they enter people's houses - or them fire ants that attack people) and then they suddenly become very significant! But really ants are vastly organised and pretty clever within their own capacities, the reason I see the biggest likeness though is in the actions - they run around trying to do something that has no meaning - like people - but again another issue crops up in that they are satisfied with their lot (or seem to be) and this argument - though valid - is the biggest problem I have - because I do not see the point in the things they do (ants and a lot of people)...

You know what though? The biggest thing about sheep blindly following each other - is it trust? trust you or I don't have? trust that if you stick together you'll be fine... interesting thought innit lol (oh and like the horse example - sheep in danger do the same things - they don't always all run - they might a lot - but not always ;))

Hi Bid,

OK , so how do you think this is speaking for people with AS?

Its actually about specific types of people who actually assign purpose and significance to the things they do and have a different outlook than others. Not AS people not NT people but a mix of a few from both groups.

So the next time you see someone and you wonder why do they do that just remember that we think differently so we cant use our way of thinking to interpret their behaviour.

Yes, people think differently some more so than others , but did i mention specifically AS?

Well as we all know a symptom of aspergers is feeling that we dont belong in this world

Yes your right firstly my problem was a grammatical rule influenced by my regional use of pronouns as if you come to where i live you would here alot of people refer to themselves as "we" meaning me and everyone who thinks this or alike. This is what i mean by "we".

Secondly i have just attached a weblink here which goes to the wikipedia page for aspergers. If you scroll down the list you will see that a symptom of aspergers is to feel like a stranger in an alien world.

so i was not wrong when i said a symptom....am not saying we all have it . Al i am saying is that it is a well known symptom of aspergers.

"Asperger syndrome is sometimes called "wrong planet" syndrome because people with Asperger syndrome often feel that they are quite normal but are living in a world full of aliens."

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=aspergers%20simple%20explanation&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsimple.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAsperger_syndrome&ei=as7PTqXrFsGc8gPdzt3lDw&usg=AFQjCNGmju-T_IrSSjZj67WzdOgHm-bo5w

Hey Darkshine - haha your totally right about the sheep and ants . I enjoyed reading that. where did you find out soo much about sheep haha :D

I dont think its trust that they follow each other because of but rather despair. The feeling of helplessness when everyone around you who you rely on for comfort suddenly dashes away leaving you in panic and despair . so in danger we think fast in order to quell the danger and reform in your comfort one which is the flock so the natural thing to then do would be too follow the flock to avoid been left alone in despair and panic at the alien life of independence and solitude

:D

Thanks Darkshine :D X

I think what Bid is trying to say is that you keep saying 'we are different' then describe what you appear to feel are positive autistic qualities then immediately in your next line of reasoning go on to describe neurotypical people as being either asleep or sheep. This comes across as a very 'them and us' way of thinking.

You also contradict yourself a lot in this and other similar threads by pointing out what you think are major differences between spectrum people and neurotypicals - then when someone points this out you say you didn't mean it that way but then two or three sentences later you are saying the exact same thing as before.

There are neurotypical partners and parents who use this forum so when you make these generalizing statements it gets taken as offensive because there certainly are not any ruminary animals on here - unless there is something someone isn't telling us ;)

I dont think its trust that they follow each other because of but rather despair. The feeling of helplessness when everyone around you who you rely on for comfort suddenly dashes away leaving you in panic and despair . so in danger we think fast in order to quell the danger and reform in your comfort one which is the flock so the natural thing to then do would be too follow the flock to avoid been left alone in despair and panic at the alien life of independence and solitude

Despair and panic at the alien life of independence and solitude eh? :rolleyes:

My life is an alien life of dependence and solitude mixed with forced interactions (docs).

If the natural thing to do is flock then are you unnatural? :lol:

Edited by darkshine