Sign in to follow this  
Lucie1979

Xaviers 2nd Appointment tomorrow.

Dont know if any of you remember but Xavier had his 1st meeting with the child developement centre back in June.

To cut a long story short, she said he was showing traits of AS but didnt want to DX on first meeting and said see you in 6 months.

Well, since then he has moved up to Year 1 in school and has not settled whatsoever, infact things have deteriorated since his move up. I, so far am not impressed with his teacher whatsoever. He has been stood in the corner for being "naughty", missed 90% of his pplaytimes since september because he cannot focus/concentrate on his work, one afternoon i picked him up at 3pm and walked into his classroom to find him laying down in the reading corner (not reading) and his teacher telling me he's been asleep for an hour :blink: in the afternoon and has been kicking off saying he doesnt feel well but she said he was being a drama queen and putting it all on.:wallbash: He was very poorly and was off school the following day.

The school have been in touch with the Child Developement centre also to raise their ever growing concerns with him. His appointment was supposed to be in December but theyve bought it forward.

Now so far Ive had no contact with CAHMS, not been advised to do so either, will the Dr at the CDC be the one who diagnoses him (if he gets one) and will this be as soon as tomorrow?

Feeling anxious, I know theres something wrong with my son, I feel cross that his new teacher knows theres something there too yet makes no allowances for him whatsoever.

Hi

Both my boys were assessed at a CDC by a paed. I did go to CAMHS with Dan before being referred back to the CDC,apparently they could not diagnose and in fact did not help children with ASD as its not considered a mental health issue. This does vary,apparently,depending on where you live.

As for the school issue,Sam(8) has had his diagnoses for two years and attends an ASD unit and they DO NOT make allowances. I am glad about that because he cannot blame his ASD on everything he does and he has to achieve something when he attends school,so they push him to work hard by doing 30min work for 30min choosing time.

I think the fact that the school have contacted the CDC to raise their concerns can only show that they are trying to help you and your son. I am sure once they know for sure that it is ASD they will be able to seek help from outside(such as an autism advisory teacher and ed psych) and then they will be able to put things in place to help him at school. Not knowing for sure makes things difficult for them as they could be dealing with anything so I am assuming they are just doing what they would do with any other child displaying such behaviours.

Good luck for tomorrow :thumbs:

Thanks Justine. I totally understand what youre saying. That probably came across wrong. Dont get me wrong he can be a monkey and is far from perfect (what child is? lol) and I also realise without a DX they dont know what they are dealing with, plus she has 29 other children to deal with so its not easy for her. I just think her attitude towards him sometimes is a little harsh. Its like he is being punished for being a naughty child where a lot of the time he cant help it and isnt being "naughty".

xx

Edited by Lucie1979

I know how you feel. In year 2 (before dx) my son encountered an 'old school' my way or the high way, you will conform teacher. She thought he was just a naughty little boy (even with all the reports saying otherwise) and she didn't like him disrupting her class. I found she reprimanded him far harsher than other children for the same thing. It does matter what kind of teachers they have! Last year (year 7) he had a teacher who liked him, even though he drove her mad! She helped him to avoid situations which were likely to cause problems.