Sign in to follow this  
Lucie1979

Diagnosis for Xavier!!

He has been Diagnosed with ASD/HFA and possibly ADD but this will come with a little further investigation!

Feel a bit numb, so far Ive told my sister, sister in law and mother in law and theyve all cried!!

xx

Congratulations on the diagnosis and i hope it helps things improve.

So pleased that you got the answers you were looking for >:D<<'> It will be a rollercoaster of emotions, you will be releived that he has been diagnosed and that he will now get the help he needs in school. You will also feel quite low/sad has it is hard to accept,just remember he is still the same boy he was yesterday before the diagnosis.

Have you started the statement process? If not maybe you can start now.

Hi all, not been here for AGES.....

a little update... alongside his HFA dx we also now have a dx of ADHD. They shoved meds at me for him (Equasym XL) straight away but at this moment in time have decided against giving them to him.

Senco is flatly refusing to apply for a statement for him as according to her he isnt needy enough. They have almost finished year 1 and recently we had a parents in school afternoon where we look at the work the children have been doing...... well Xavier has a few pieces of paper with literally his name written on and thats it :( How can they say he doesnt need extra help??? He has no work to show me for the whole of year 1!!! :(

Hi glad to hear you have a diagnosis of adhd as well as hfa. If your son is on school action plus you can apply for a statutory assessment on your own,of course it helps to have the school and senco backing you up but its not essential provding you can show where your son needs help. You will need to identify which areas he struggles in not just academic but socially and emotionally. You will then need to prove this by his iep,school reports,any meeting minutes from when you have spoken to senco or his teacher or any times he has missed school due to anxiety or prehaps when school have asked for you to collect him early for whatever reason. There is alot of info in the education tab on how to go about getting statutory assessment.