tdewar

So close!

Hi, it's Tom.

Oh my god, i was so close to passing my driving test today.

It was my first time as well, though i actually did better than i thought (I'll get to that)

I only got ONE serious fault, and that was simply because at a junction i stopped and then changed to second gear instead of first, and i stalled, even though i fixed it, it was definitely a fail because i stuck out in the road. Damn. When i got back i couldn't believe it, just if i changed gear, i would have a driving license by now. So frustrated its untrue. Even though i did better than i performed in my mock exams, only 10 driving faults...ugh, seriously you have no idea how much a pain in the ass this is. I stayed relatively calm, and afterwards my instructor who was there said he thought i did well but this whole event has been bothering me all day. I feel like a failure and generally feel annoyed and fed up with the outcome... I just need to forget about it but it's burned in my mind how close i was, advice anyone?

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry to hear that and I know it must be really annoying to know you were so close! However, according to a site I've just seen, only 43% of people pass, and the figure is lower for people who take their test for the first time, so you are in a majority there. There is also an article in the Daily Mail that claims you are actually a safer driver if you pass the second time, so try not to take it too hard. I'm sure you'll pass the next time around :)

Edited by Fledermaus

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass this time.

A lot of people fail on their first attempt - I did too.

It sounds like you are generally very good and could pass with a little more practice. Even experienced drivers make mistakes like this sometimes. So don't let it get you down. It's frustrating, but it sounds like you will pass eventually.

Hi Tom,

Believe me or not I envy you! Not because what happened to you but because you are nearly there! In my case it's another mountain to climb. I thought that I shouldn't be driving because of my dyspaxia but lately I found out that some dyspraxics do drive with the right training.

I want to give it a go this summer.

Is anyone knows where I can try a driving simulator? Please.

:)

Hi Tom

Don't worry about not passing first time - you now have the experience of taking the test and this will help you pass next time.

I passed on my third attempt after 2 years of lessons but it then took me another 5 years to gain the confidence to drive on my own.

You sound as though you have the confidence to drive - you just need to get over the hurdle of the test.

Good luck for next time.

L x

Even though you didn't pass you did well Tom, look at it as an improvement on your mocks and a guide to where you need to work on while you wait for your next test. It's frustrating waiting for a re-test but you've come so far you'll get there soon.