Gutcruncher

Getting funding for more education

I think I need to retrain or get some further skills with more qualifications to show that I have the skills. My degree on its own is not enough.

I keep on being told that the Open University is "free" and I should do a course there, but they charge money, a lot of money, it is far too expensive, i could not afford even a single module unfortunately. I considered the OU for a MA/MSc/MRes or similar but it is beyond what I could afford even with a regular job.

i have applied for apprenticeships even, which upset me a great deal, and haven't gotten anywhere, told as a graduate you can't apply for apprenticeships, and a few of the providers said that having AS (when I mentioned it) would bar me, beforeI mentioned having a degree.

Where else can I look for more education WITH qualifications? money is the issue.

Hi,

I am also thinking about re-training, so I have been looking at Uni courses too. You can get financial assistance through the OU if you are on a low income. You can also get help through normal Universities too.

Loulou.

Hi,

I am also thinking about re-training, so I have been looking at Uni courses too. You can get financial assistance through the OU if you are on a low income. You can also get help through normal Universities too.

Loulou.

I got refused financial assistance from the OU when I applied, they said get an employer to pay for your course but I don't have a job. I can't get a student loan again because I've already gotten one for my degree. EDIT: also, postgraduate courses you can't get assistance with apparently. Wouldn't mind whatever level of course from their though, but I can't afford them and I would get no assistance.

Edited by Gutcruncher

gut cruncher - people like you make me SO ANNOYED ANGRY!!! every post is about you JUST seem to whinge moan about EVERYTHING and DON'T seem to want ANYONE OR ANYTHING! sounds like you want world to come to you and you just sit and wait for it fall into the lap sounds like you hostile angry bitter over EVERYTHING too and when someone suggests something you push it back to them and say tried it! so everyone running out of ideas as falling on deaf ears sounds like you DON'T really want any real help /support! sounds like you give up and just want sympathy pity and that get you no where yes you CAN work when you have AS and yes a WORKPLACE does accept AS i'm a PROOF of this statement it CAN work if you WANT IT TOO and seems like you DON'T want it that bad to go out and get it! the world ain't going to wrap you up in cotton wool or change work or anything just for you! i started off volunteering now work part time so CAN be done with hard work/effort/determation something seems you're lacking or low on it!

XKLX

but you have already said (numerous times) that you HAVE the education - what you need is work experience. Getting more academic qualifications will not give you that. The only thing that gets you work experience is working - for free, for a short time, in places you feel are beneath you - anything, provided you can write it on your CV and get someone to give you a reference.

BTW - I have NEVER heard anyone say the OU is free - it's one of the most expensive ways of getting your degree, because you are paying for the flexibility! There is some help with funding in some very restricted circumstances, but on the whole, everyone pays a LOT of money

I am not turning work down!! I never have! I've never been OFFERED actual work.

How am I meant to work for free if you're not allowed to when on benefits? What money am I meant to live on? i don't have wealthy parents to pamper me.

I'm not turning work down all the time! Why do people claim that?! I'm not sure if I can cope with employment in the open market to be honest (most likely not) but I am still applying and applying. I am looking for more qualifications because then I could get into professions that suit my needs and abilities and problems. There's a barrier to entry to most jobs in terms of qualifications.

I haven't seen anyone say you are turning work down - but you seem to think that someone should just turn up on your doorstep and offer you the job you want in the profession you want for the money you want!

You know what - I don't have wealthy parents either - I have never been "given" a job because I know someone.... I have a degree and several dozen professional qualifications and a long history of work with good references, but I am happy to work part time for minimum wage currently because a job is a job and you are much more likely to get the next job if you are in a job!

I have been made redundant a few times, and never stayed out of work for more than a couple of weeks BECAUSE I was willing to take anything, including stuff I was totally unqualified for and learn on the job. Some I found suited me well, and I took further qualifications mostly funded by myself or once or twice (in the good old days) funded by an employer. Some were just jobs that I slogged through each day and waited for the right time to move on. When I couldn't find full time work, I spent my off days volunteering in the sector I thought I wanted to move into (changed my mind after doing it for a couple of years LOL).

In the current climate there are 100s of people going for every job vacancy - but I don't think it is your AS that is causing the problems you are describing. Indeed, many companies would consider AS to be an ideal "disability" to invite to interview - they get to tick their disability box, may find someone who is amazingly brilliant at that particular job/someone who is barely noticeably different in a work situation, and if not, they haven't had to put any additional resources/effort into the recruitment process! If you have not had ANY invitatons to interview you are either applying for the wrong things or writing the form badly. The JobCentre can help with both, as can the NAS, DIAL or any number of local groups/charities.

Nobody in my family has ever been given a job based on nepotism either,in fact we are not even from this country so don't know anyone well enough! Yet we have always worked,all of us. I have four children and as much as it is not a disbility it does present callenges,as a single mother I still worked voluntarily and studied. I am still studying full time, though taking a break at the moment because of many factors. I have to do shifts that start as early as 7am,get up at 5am as I have to get my two ASD sons ready for school beforehand,I finish at 4pm but then have to fetch my youngest from nursery as I don't drive we often only get home after 5pm then I have to get everyone fed,homework done and bed.Still finding time somehow to do essays!

I studied through the OU and I was on income support at the time,I got £1200 to pay for the course/s I wanted to do.I also got £240 cash grant.After the first year I took on another three courses and went over the £1200 because I really wanted to do all three to get onto the uni course I am doing now, I paid out of my own pocket £30p/m. It was a struggle but worth it.

My current partner is on JSA and has been awarded the same as I was,so he is curently doing a degree as well through the OU.

So you may have to pay but they do have various payment options. If you can't get work maybe do some voluntary work for now it will look good on your CV and get you out and about.

I'm doing MA and my school’s bursary covered a half of my tuition fees. Why not to explore this avenue. Some uni’s have funds of their own.

I guess I could do a PhD, but I’d fancy neither a researcher’s or a uni lecturer's professional titles. I wouldn’t handle any of those, know my limitations. Our uni runs Business Mine enterprise which supports all under and post grads who’d like to explore any possibilities in small businesses and self-employment. So, I guess like you my MA is a stepping stone, only I’d like to become a fee-lancer to sail in the wide world of business affairs.

I do know what it's like to be without a job; also I've never in my life had a penny from the state. I know you’ll say, “What has it to do with anything?”

Please explain what did you mean when you said that I’m "a sniper"? Is it because I said that I'm a cleaner? I’m intrigued. :)

YOU NEED make steps yourself! can expect everyone else to do running around for you! stop making pathetic excuses for EVERYTHING everyone has suggested!!! and stop blaming EVERYONE ELSE! you NEED take adult responsibility it may be scary anxious at times but have try make steps to overcome it!

XKLX

I thought people could do a certain number of hours of voluntary work while on benefits? Does anyone know if this true? Just wondered as I believe its a good first step into work and am considering it as an aim for myself - my studies will end soon and then need to decide how to go about going from the point I'm at now, to working full-time, and there's like a chasm between the two (in my opinion and my circumstances anyway). Its kinda relevant... maybe :lol:

Smiley, I think you've made your point - but there's no need to shout or be rude, even if you do feel frustrated.

Please can everyone try and keep this discussion polite and constructive. :)

Thanks

Kathryn

Smiley, I think you've made your point - but there's no need to shout or be rude, even if you do feel frustrated.

Please can everyone try and keep this discussion polite and constructive. :)

Thanks

Kathryn

And there was me hoping you knew the answer to my question :lol::wallbash: what a let down :lol:

BTW - I have NEVER heard anyone say the OU is free - it's one of the most expensive ways of getting your degree, because you are paying for the flexibility! There is some help with funding in some very restricted circumstances, but on the whole, everyone pays a LOT of money

I know that, but I've been told by many people, and every social worker I've spoken to, if you want more education sign up for the Open University, it's free. I knew when I was 17 it wasn't free but I am told continuously that it is.

I haven't seen anyone say you are turning work down - but you seem to think that someone should just turn up on your doorstep and offer you the job you want in the profession you want for the money you want!

I've NEVER said that. Please don't project your own way of thinking onto me.

I am looking for work I CAN do, with some kind of support attached. Otherwise I will not cope.

You know what - I don't have wealthy parents either - I have never been "given" a job because I know someone.... I have a degree and several dozen professional qualifications and a long history of work with good references, but I am happy to work part time for minimum wage currently because a job is a job and you are much more likely to get the next job if you are in a job!

I've never said I wouldn't work for a minimum wage. Ideally I'd earn more so I can afford private healthcare to treat my AS problems again, but I know you have to start somewhere, I've never claimed or thought otherwise. i've never thought I'd get a graduate job – those are impossible to get unless you can afford to work for free for a year as an intern, and I wouldn't be chosen before people who don't have AS sort of problems.

In the current climate there are 100s of people going for every job vacancy - but I don't think it is your AS that is causing the problems you are describing. Indeed, many companies would consider AS to be an ideal "disability" to invite to interview - they get to tick their disability box, may find someone who is amazingly brilliant at that particular job/someone who is barely noticeably different in a work situation, and if not, they haven't had to put any additional resources/effort into the recruitment process!
I have been told face to face by employers that AS is a negative. I have had a situation where I went to a recruitment agency, to register for work, and when I explained my AS problems (to explain why I had gaps in my CV) was told, our clients won't like that that's as bad as hiring a sex offender or drug addict.

So you may have to pay but they do have various payment options. If you can't get work maybe do some voluntary work for now it will look good on your CV and get you out and about.

You can;t do voluntary work on benefits unless they tell you to... and tell you where to volunteer...

I did apply in the past for voluntary work BTW, the lack of any references meant I was turned down.

I thought people could do a certain number of hours of voluntary work while on benefits? Does anyone know if this true? Just wondered as I believe its a good first step into work and am considering it as an aim for myself - my studies will end soon and then need to decide how to go about going from the point I'm at now, to working full-time, and there's like a chasm between the two (in my opinion and my circumstances anyway). Its kinda relevant... maybe :lol:

you can do as many hours as u like volunteering, i used to do too much until funding got cut and receive benefits. the thing you are on about is working under 16 hours paid work and receiving benefits. so if u earn a low wage a week and under 16 hours a week then benefits dont get lost

Have you thought about volunteering in a charity shop, just for a few hours to get some experience? That's always a useful things to put on your CV. What about Argos, they take on extra staff over the Xmas period. I did it a few years ago, it's just casual for the Christmas period, working in the back picking all the stuff off the shelves, it was quite fun and, again, something to put on your CV. They don't advertise, though, I don't think. I went in to ask about jobs and they had some application forms for casual workers on the counter. I had a quick ten minute interview and I started the following week. Most of the people in the back were young guys just earning a bit of extra money for Xmas, why not give it a go.

Doing casual things like this will also increase your confidence and give you a taste of working life and you might actually enjoy it.

~ Mel ~

I think I need to retrain or get some further skills with more qualifications to show that I have the skills. My degree on its own is not enough.

I keep on being told that the Open University is "free" and I should do a course there, but they charge money, a lot of money, it is far too expensive, i could not afford even a single module unfortunately. I considered the OU for a MA/MSc/MRes or similar but it is beyond what I could afford even with a regular job.

i have applied for apprenticeships even, which upset me a great deal, and haven't gotten anywhere, told as a graduate you can't apply for apprenticeships, and a few of the providers said that having AS (when I mentioned it) would bar me, beforeI mentioned having a degree.

Where else can I look for more education WITH qualifications? money is the issue.

Tell me exactly what your qualifications are and what other skills and talents you have?

What particular course or subject do you want to study?

Have you thought about volunteering in a charity shop, just for a few hours to get some experience? That's always a useful things to put on your CV. What about Argos, they take on extra staff over the Xmas period. I did it a few years ago, it's just casual for the Christmas period, working in the back picking all the stuff off the shelves, it was quite fun and, again, something to put on your CV. They don't advertise, though, I don't think. I went in to ask about jobs and they had some application forms for casual workers on the counter. I had a quick ten minute interview and I started the following week. Most of the people in the back were young guys just earning a bit of extra money for Xmas, why not give it a go.

Look, the problem is NOT because I don't know about the existence of such jobs, it is because I CAN'T GET THEM. I have no work experience, work history or references to use. I have had my last job interview in 2006. Also I cannot drive (epilepsy) so retails jobs I'm not able to get to to do. I don't think I could handle the social aspect I can't even cope going to shops

you can do as many hours as u like volunteering, i used to do too much until funding got cut and receive benefits. the thing you are on about is working under 16 hours paid work and receiving benefits. so if u earn a low wage a week and under 16 hours a week then benefits dont get lost

Thank you :notworthy: I think I was getting the 2 muddled up (part-time work and volunteering) :P it is all worth thinking about for the future - and as mel says, it all adds a little something to the old CV (mine is pretty empty) :)

I also think its good to think about as volunteering can be a good way to learn routine, interaction, and is a first step that skills can be built on, without the pressure of losing benefits while learning, and less pressure from hours done and expectation, while simultaneously being an ideal platform for basing such skills on before looking to work, so the next stage could be part-time paid work and see where it goes....

Personally I'm stuck in a major rut, but I am trying to keep my eyes off the floor and look ahead to the future and how that future can be achieved - not easy right now but determined to have aims that are realistic and focussed to move on in life...

Thanks again

Darkshine

I think you are in danger of becoming over-qualified, especially as you have no work history. This will make it even harder to find work.

I would advise as follows:

1. Email the advocacy service again setting out your needs very specifically. Then they can arrange for a home visit to advise you on getting into supported employment.

2. Investigate voluntary work, as not only will it give you something to show prospective employers, it will help you learn and practice valuable skills in a less stressful situation than a paid job.

3. I noticed that in one of your initial posts, you say that you send out 'thousands' of job applications each month. I have AS too, so I'm not sure if this is true or literary exaggeration :lol: Either way, if you send out too many applications, I fear you will not have been able to spend enough time on each one, researching that particular company and so on.

Best of luck,

Bid :)