Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

What happens at 18?

Hi sorry I haven't been on here lately. Hope everyone is ok and looking forward to Christmas or dreading it maybe??? :lol:

I was just wondering what would happen next year as I've been told by the social worker that when Glen is 18 in April he will have to pay some of his DLA towards his costs for the residential home. How would that work when he doesn't receive the care part of the DLA.. So next year how will I be able to claim DLA for Glen so that he can pay his costs towards the home out of it or do the home themselves deal with claiming DLA on Glen's behalf? If anyone has any answers I would very much appreciate in hearing what you have to say, thanks!

Hello,

I think your social worker will arrange this for you. I would contact her/him and ask for some advice.

How is Glen (and you) doing these days?

Loraine

Hi Loraine thanks for your reply. Glen has good and bad days, he has been going through a anxious/aggressive period but has settled more again this past week. Glen still isn't very good with home visits he is always restless whilst here and wants to go out for a car ride all the time.

Glen is coming home on Christmas Eve, just for the 2 nights, I wouldn't be able to 'manage' him any longer than that and he wouldn't be settled here for any longer. I am very worried as to how Christmas Day will go to be honest, my daughter is coming round and she will be having Christmas Dinner with us, so I hope Glen will be ok. He is never the best at Christmas time anyway. Hope you have a nice Christmas, do you find it's a good time or not?