Quixotic

Hello

Hi there everyone,

I’ve been lurking about on the forum for a little while now, so thought it was about time I introduced myself. I’m not completely sure whether or not I should be here, as I have a diagnosis of Dyslexia not Aspergers. But since being diagnosed with Dyslexia at the age of 35 (I’m now 37), I am not convinced this diagnosis explains my longstanding social difficulties. Instead what I do strongly suspect is that these difficulties are the result of some undiagnosed autistic traits. I am unsure whether these traits would in themselves be enough to get me a ASD diagnosis. But I would like to explore these issues, make contact with others I can relate too and in return offer what help and support I can to others.

Anyway, I’m very pleased to meet you all.

I hope you feel comfortable with me posting here. :)

hi & welcome!

I am a SALT, so know both.. people with dyslexia and AS..

sometimes I see simularities.. You might wanna look into the book of Olga Bogdashina.

In my eyes.. both have to do with sensory input being somewhat different

dyslexia is know for not being able to make certain rules your own no matter how hard you try or repeat; well so is AS right, just in a different field/area?

greetings B'fly

Hello, and welcome.

It's definitely fine for you to post here.

There is very little formal support available for adults with autism anyway, so a diagnosis wouldn't really help you much in that regard. If self-help techniques designed for people with autism help you, then you don't need a diagnosis to use them. You can just pick and choose what seems relevant to yourself and try things out. Additionally, anything that's helped you with certain situations may well be useful to people in similar situations.

But if you need a diagnosis to get things like adjustments in the workplace or as evidence for applying for disability benefits, then it could be worth investigating. It all depends on your situation really.

Thank you for your welcome butterfly73. I will certainly look into the book you suggest. :)

I have in the past wondered whether there might not be some kind of overlap between dyslexia and AS. But generally I find that people with AS are characterised or perhaps stereotyped as being bookish and hyperlexic whereas dyslexics are seen as practical and sociable.

Because of this, I’ve found it difficult to find a suitable forum on which I can post. I have a diagnosis of dyslexia, but when I try to post on a dyslexia forum I don’t seem able to relate to the people there. They appear to be all very social, extravert and into stuff of which I’m just not interested. But when I come to an AS forum such as this, I can relate to the people but feel a bit of a fraud as I don’t have an AS diagnosis.

Hello, and welcome.

It's definitely fine for you to post here.

There is very little formal support available for adults with autism anyway, so a diagnosis wouldn't really help you much in that regard. If self-help techniques designed for people with autism help you, then you don't need a diagnosis to use them. You can just pick and choose what seems relevant to yourself and try things out. Additionally, anything that's helped you with certain situations may well be useful to people in similar situations.

But if you need a diagnosis to get things like adjustments in the workplace or as evidence for applying for disability benefits, then it could be worth investigating. It all depends on your situation really.

Thank you Tally. I think I could certainly benefit from looking at a few self-help techniques and am happy to share any tips and tricks I have picked up myself over the years. At the age of 37 I don’t think I would really benefit from a formal AS diagnosis. I use to experience difficulties in holding down a job but am now doing reasonably well. My dyslexia diagnosis offers me protection and allows me to ask for reasonable adjustments, even if they do turn out to be more AS related adjustments, as long as they seem justifiable, I’m okay. I have managed to deal with some social anxiety and although still not a terribly confident person I am now much better at being around people. The root of my social problems however I believe is due to a difficulty in reading social cues, which I think possibly points to Aspergers or ASD.

Welcome im an asperger with dyslexia and other stuff. In fact i think its quite a common co occurrence.

I love Olgas books she is very understanding of the autistic point of view.

Edited by trekster

Welcome im an asperger with dyslexia and other stuff. In fact i think its quite a common co occurrence.

I love Olgas books she is very understanding of the autistic point of view.

Very pleased to meet you trekster.6.gif

Welcome aboard and don't worry, there's no requirement to have a diagnosis in order to post here and you certainly aren't the only one! Hope you find the forum helpful.

K x