Sign in to follow this  
clare_1982

Day to Day

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I have a 5 year old daughter who has asd. I am finding it really hard when she's at home and out and about as she finds she cant stop fiddling and licking things. She's had two throat infections in the last two months and its taking its toll. I've tried telling her, drawing charts of what germs are- but she cant help herself. Can anyone advise me please ??

Thanks

Hello :)

Have you tried 'tangle toys' or 'fiddle toys'. I have a friend whose son has the same issues, and she has got him some of these

There's a huge number of these kind of toys available from lots of different websites.

It has made a big difference as he can put it in his mouth and chew to his heart's content!

Hope that helps

Nicky x

Hi

Same as what Nicky suggested, I think there are "chew toys" if you google chewellery or similar.Anytthing to distract her from whats going on around her.

Hi,

your daughter still has a great need to get to know the world in this way.. the above mentioned ideas fit that need very well!

identifying stuff is a necessary means and proces.. the mouth/tongue is very sensitive and can create a 3d image..

her hands are still learning that.. when they 'know'enough, the mouth is no longer needed..

It might be useful to help her along in this proces, by seeking help from a therapist who knows a lot about sensory input.

mouth: might I ask how things go with eating/drinking and brushing teeth?

hands: how is she with drawing, handling scissors, putting on clothes and other (smaller) motor skills?

Fiddle toys sound like a good idea! My daughter used to like to chew things- we were lucky it was only her hair and the front of her clothes: at least we could be sure where they had been!

Hope you find a solution,

K x

Hello all you lovely people, thank you for your quick reply to me. Yes, i will have alook at chew toys they sound like they will do the job. Lucy is ok at drawing and likes small objects but cant really dress herself well yet.

I am still learning alot as it is all new to me. She can go to mainsteam school and has quite a bit of support but we have to pick her up in the pushchair as she will get scared and run into the road. She wears her earphones when outside too- its like two different children somedays. I wish some people would see her on her bad days- crawling and screaming. I hope to get to know you all over time- as time is very limited as i have a two year old and work from home too. XXX Best wishes and happy new year to all from Clare