gertie

hello :-)

Hello everyone,

I'm Gertie, 34 and mum of two, a boy (14) and a girl (15) and we live in the north west. My daughter is now having assessments and is in the 'formal diagnosis' bit with CAMHS, and most likely it's Asperger's. Although we've kinda got our heads around stuff, there is still a lot to learn and we're still slowly realising how AS has been affecting her as it hasn't always been as immediately apparent as it is now. I look forward to picking your collective brains!

hi i too have dd of 15 was diagnosed at 14, and son of 14 who is being assessed also daughter of 11 who is also being assessed,takes a while to get head round and up til she was about 10-11 we didnt even realise there was a problem! then it just snowballed as though she had hit a brick wall and had been acting her life out up til then!this is a good forum to see other peoples experiences and also makes you realise you arent the only one going through it and there are lots of similarities and not alone!

regards julia

i was officially diagnosed at 14 years old at CAMHS with A.S so year earlier than your daughter with puberty and hormones too can be quite confusing lost situation be involved in for parents and teens can be overwhelming /suffocating also complex and complicated emotionally seems come out more in teens due to puberty changes etc what helped me is reading books with other teens with A.S to help explain difficulties 'better' and make feel less alone ,isolated etc e.g ( luke jackson - freeks,greeks & aspergers syndrome, the curious incident of red dog in night-time - mark haddon) i had alot of MH issues at 14 ( depression / anxiety)

XKLX

Hi.... Familiar stories! My daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers at 14 through CAMHS and is 16 now. It has been quite a journey... Ongoing of course, and we also didn't realise what was happening with her until high school, although when we look back to when she was younger, everything makes sense now! Still learning and tackling one hurdle at a time! We are also in the north west by the way, Warrington Cheshire to be precise. Hope you find your CAMHS more helpful than mine TBH!

Thanks for the welcome, it makes a huge difference to know others have the same/similar experiences. Not really had time to get to grips with this forum yet, even to just lurk, but hopefully I'll have some time to delve into some discussions :-)

Welcome

i was diagnosed as a teenager, 16 in fact.