matzoball

Good news with added anxiety!

I love baking. I mean really love it! So much so that if my A plan for going to Berlin with my work fell through - I would still go to Berlin, but as a full time baker!

To this end, I enrolled on a cake decorating course which starts in 2 weeks.

I can't wait to learn what I can, but I haven't been in that kind of environment since I left uni. Since then - mental breakdowns, increased anxiety, then diagnosis and you all know the rest.

I am starting to obsess over whats going to happen in this classroom(or kitchen if you will) - I can't stand the thought of introducing myself and doing all that getting to know you crud. I do it at work because it's part of work and you can't be seen to be 'taking backwards steps after all that progress' yadda yadda yackety schmackety

The reason why it's different is because baking or at least the process of it has always been something that is mine and private(apart from sharing the results with people hehe). Now I am going to be in a room full of strangers feeling really exposed and possibly the subject of judgement and ridicule(going on past experiences).

I haven't been in a classroom since the 90s - I guess I am freaking out because of that fact!

But - I am determined to do this! Berlin isn't going to come to me!

I think the 'loving' baking part is the important bit! :eat: Personally, I can't bake and have no interest in it but I very much like EATING cake and biscuits, nom nom!! I am very impressed by people who can :notworthy:

Maybe you just have to go into this thinking that it's a way to get back into the swing of things and another skill to add to your repertoire. Everyone else attending the class should be paying close attention to what they are doing themselves - I would imagine that all that piping and icing requires a fair bit of concentration! Try not to compare yourself to anyone else because you don't know how much practice they have had already at home or elsewhere. You are doing the course for YOU and you have to remember you're there to LEARN! :thumbs:

Excellent news :thumbs: nothing like seeing someone try for things in life :D

The classroom stuff is ok as an adult, you walk in, pretend your like totally "with it", smile and say hello, and then the tutor takes care of the rest, it will be so easy you won't know what you were worried about... assuming your culinary skills are alright that is and you don't burn the classroom down on the first day :devil::lol:

I find the noise difficult, but with a class where you are not only learning and concentrating, but where you are doing something as well, it shouldn't be too bad - I know a few chefs and they seem to have a laugh at work and the one who recently left college enjoyed the classes and had a laugh at college too - I reckon you'll have fun and learn lots.

All the best from me ;)

Sounds like fun!

My cousin does a cake decorating class and she is always posting pictures of the (amazing) results on Facebook.

People will be too busy decorating their own cakes to chat too much. It's the perfect course for meeting people without needing to talk to them too much. And you're there to learn, you aren't supposed to be professional standard yet!

I hope you learn loads and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

I am paying for mine through ILA Scotland - I'm sure there is ILA for the rest of the UK as well - you can get 100, 200 or 500 pound grants to pay for or towards any course you want as long as it's registered with them :)

Das scheint sehr anders als Softwareüberprüfung.

Vielleicht, aber da sie nicht in der Eröffnung einer Niederlassung in Berlin habe ich, um alternative Pläne zu machen. Wenn sie eine Filiale zu eröffnen in Deutschland werde ich dorthin gehen - aber nichts ist gewiss. Warum schreibst du in Deutsch?

Sounds like fun!

My cousin does a cake decorating class and she is always posting pictures of the (amazing) results on Facebook.

People will be too busy decorating their own cakes to chat too much. It's the perfect course for meeting people without needing to talk to them too much. And you're there to learn, you aren't supposed to be professional standard yet!

I hope you learn loads and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

What is her company called?

I told my mum today about the class and she started welling up - turns out her Aunt that raised her was a professional baker! So you could say cake runs in my blood :) mmmm caaaake....

If you are feeling nervous about the course, could you speak to whoever runs it and explain to them about your diagnosis and that you find it hard to be put in the spotlight etc. I'm sure they would accommodate. Also ask her if the baking is going to be 'judged' in any way.

Apart from that, i've done a couple of courses as an 'adult' and i've always really enjoyed them because you are doing something you enjoy and are interested in, and there isn't an examination at the end of it.

Apart from that, i've done a couple of courses as an 'adult' and i've always really enjoyed them because you are doing something you enjoy and are interested in, and there isn't an examination at the end of it.

I keep thinking I ought to do an evening class, but I keep missing the opportunity to sign up before the academic year starts. Either that or I don't want to commit myself because I don't know how much longer I'm going to be living in a particular area. Damn this uncertainty!

If you are feeling nervous about the course, could you speak to whoever runs it and explain to them about your diagnosis and that you find it hard to be put in the spotlight etc. I'm sure they would accommodate. Also ask her if the baking is going to be 'judged' in any way.

I think I am going to see what the class is like first as I don't want to make a big deal of myself and be 'that girl with assburgers' - hopefully they will have a run down of how they see the class functioning for the rest of the course on the first week. It's more the social aspect I am worrying myself over.

I know for sure I will enjoy the decorating aspect :)

I keep thinking I ought to do an evening class, but I keep missing the opportunity to sign up before the academic year starts. Either that or I don't want to commit myself because I don't know how much longer I'm going to be living in a particular area. Damn this uncertainty!

I'd just like to say :thumbs: to the "damn this uncertainty" phrase :thumbs: I know I'm not moving and I'm still uncertain about doing an evening class on something :D

That would be so cool - then we can all sit on our pc's and judge your efforts lol :D

I've eaten Matzoball's cakes. Even David Bailey could not do them justice in a photograph.

Was okay - just health and safety and the like. It's already a bit cliquey as some people know each other already but I am sure that will change - none of us even know each others names at this point!

We go back in 2 weeks time to bake and decorate cupcakes so there will be pictures soon :)

I am in a cook-group.. One of the women gives backing-courses.. so we got a cake decorating afternoon for free :D

Gotta admit that the end-result was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to sugary for my taste..

I actually got stomack cramps!

But doing it.. I LOVED the kneeding and such..

For who also gets the saliva running.. a more healthy one, though also very compelling and scrumptious: search for chocolate mousse tart on youtube (Jennifer Cornbleet)

Also very useful for those who have difficulty with several food items ;-)

(except nuts in this recipe.. maybe you know an alternatiev yourself?!)

Have fun, that's the way to go!!

oooh! I'd definitely eat those...and is it butter icing? YumYum :eat:

Um...I had a great time tonight buuut my attempt at lettering is very politically incorrect as i got bored(tutor is ignoring my side of the class for some reason)...

I'll put a link up and leave it up to you whether or not you want to look at it...there are other nicer photos I have taken under it though

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/zackheartsmiri