Sign in to follow this  
suzanneiom1

2nd assesment went well

hi all my son harley is now 25 months, since hv came out at 19 months with concerns, alot has improved apart from speech, had pead app, and yesturday had home visit.. this was the outcome at the end, the women said, great eye contact, good imaginary play, he also copied some things they did. negative points he did hand flap afew times, also he does tend to make noices when doing things, which she said doesnt think is attemps at talking , this is common in children with hearing problems (yet to have hearing checked) and also could be self stimularity when playing which is a trait.. so she does want to carry on with assessments. she said 2 yrs old is such a young age, so at the end of assesments if not sure then will see harley every 6 months.. so yesturday was alittle positive for me.. I am just concerned about speech because routine, following some instructions, places we go he is all fine with, he just does not babble or attempt words which makes me think he has a hearing problem or a speech and language problem. what are you thoughts? especially on a child that doesnt really babble alot? does a child have to babble first b4 words, or can words come when ready.. thanks for reading.. xx

My son was one of the later ones when talking and I have to say he didn't babble much but then learnt basic words without doing this to be honest. He hasn't been diagnosed with Aspergers yet but I know 'something' isn't right (although it could be anxiety related or OCD or anything really since lots of symptoms overlap). He is still a 'man of few words' now at 6 yrs and finds it difficult to say what he wants - he can say the words but doesn't always understand the words. He used to get frustrated as we didn't know what he wanted so after his hearing test came back okay, we started to use baby sign language just for things like drink, food, apple, pain - very very basic but it helped him realise how the frustration eased if he could use these signs and his speach followed steadily after. He had lots of words which weren't quite right but we knew what they were "tittle" for little and "rara" for Tara and "bing bong" for bourbon (still calls them this now and he's 6!). I have video of him at 2 and a half and he could barely put words together and they were not clear at all. We didn't worry too much as was always told boys are lazy but I had nothing to compare him to.

My daughter was the complete opposite - babbled lots - watched my mouth all the time to copy the words and she could have a full bown conversation (and argument!) with you by the time she was 18 months to 2 years! I have to actually tell her to stop talking as she gives me a headache! Hubby said she's just like me ;) I did do something very different with her and I insisted on buying a pram which faced me even when they were sitting up so I would walk to the shops etc and talk to her along the journey - I'm not sure if this helped or if she would have been forward with talking anyway but I wish I had done that with my son to be honest.

I just wanted to reassure you that they can be very different and progress differently. Oh also, while I remember, he had a proper hearing test but he was (and still is) very greedy with food so I went into the kitchen without him one day and rattled some crisp packets a little and he was there within seconds!! Yet if we called his name during normal times, he would completely ignore us! Selective hearin with him! He also had a dummy until 1 year old (and my daughter didn't) so whether that hindered things I don't know.

I hope you get some answers soon and I hope this helps a little :)

It is good that they are reviewing your child every 6 months.

What is 'essential' is that he is placed in the right nursery, pre-school and primary school. Because if he is placed somewhere and does not cope, it will make his whole experience of school very negative.

When will his hearing be tested?

You need to have some definate answers by age 3.5, because if he needs a Statement of special educational needs, it takes 26 weeks from start to finish. And if the Statement is not worded legally [which they often are not], you would need to lodge an Appeal to the Tribunal service. And this can take a further 6-12 months.

A Statement is the ONLY legal document that ensures the provision in the Statement is provided. Without it any support or therapy can be removed and you can do nothing about it.

What is your child like when in a room with other children. Does he join in, play alongside, or ignore them?

Does he have any sensory issues ie. what is he like having his hair washed or brushed or cut. Or his nails cut. Does he need his clothes tags removed. Is he clumsy. Is he quite floppy and always sitting down, or the complete opposite and running around. Does he flap and/or spin alot. Does he ever cover his ears at noise eg. the vaccum cleaner being turned on, handdryers in public toilets. Does he appear deaf when you call his name, or does he seem to have selective hearing.

What is he like going out of the house, or having the TV turned off. Does he play with toys in a typical way or does he line them up or stack them, or play with pieces of toys.

Does he point at things, or bring things to show you.

Does he appear quite self sufficient and only seeks you out for something to eat and drink.

hi sally, he is still under assesment at the moment, in answer to your questions, at 22 months he started pointing first just to things of interest, now thats moved to things he want aswell, he shows us his toys alot.. he does play with toys a typical way at the moment.. he likes brusing teeth, loves bath, showers doesnt mind vaccum cleaner, the only thing he doesnt like is my hairdryer, but its mainly when he sees it, not when its on. iv asked at nursery what he is like, his great at sitting down , he plays with different things and along side, they said he wont play with or make friends yet, that comes about 3 yrs old.. so it basically just is lack of speech, he hand flaps when excited, and yes he does appear deaf sometimes, my newphew had gromits 2 years ago , hearing was terrible, so we are wondering whether harley needs them, he suffers with ear infections, we should be having his hearing down when we have his third assessment, when they get afew other children, with some toys in a room ect...

hi blm thanks for your reply thats interesting to no about your son, and he still isnt brill at speech, i think my main concern is that harley will never speak , reading too much on the internet.. im wondering if my son has selective hearing im not sure