Sounds like your doctor has given you a clear explanation of what happens in your body during these episodes. But what you really need is a safe way to wash. If your doctor can't help with that, they should be able to refer you to someone like an occupational therapist, who can.

Wow, I've never heard anything happen quite like that before. Glad you're OK. I think the biggest piece of advice anyone could give is seek medical attention?

Edited by LlamaRama

I think you can get DLA on the grounds that you need frequent supervision throught the day, this can be with anything as well as washing.

Pleased you survived and hope you manage to find a way to control these attacks. Could you have narcolepsy or epilepsy?

i would definately see a doctor about these attacks as medication could prevent you from injuring yourself next tiem they happen.

Edited by trekster

I'm very sorry to hear that.. Glad your dad did walk in!!

Biggest question: did you doze off because of the heat, busy day, etc.. and slip under water.. or did you have some sort of lapse..?!?

It could be an accumulation of circumstances.. with a nearly terrible outcome..

Or there might be more to it.. both equally plausible form what we know so far..

Any tiredness during the day?

How is your nighttime sleep?

Ever feel any weakness when you suddenly have to laugh?!

How is your bloodpressure usually.. low?

Can you stand heat in summer? Have you ever fainted before?

Ever feel werid after running or other intense excercises, biking, ...?

Can you handle a rainsuit.. or do you roll up the sleeves to get rid of excess body heat??

What happened today should indeed be known by your GP!

Btw.. I have narcolepsy, which I know since mid oct '11

Edited by butterfly73

I'm a bit confused why your dad didn't call an ambulance when he found you unconscious in the bath. Your parents ought to take you to A&E this evening because this sounds too serious to leave until the morning. DLA and developing independence are not really the issues here.

It's a massive coincidence, isn't it, that you are interested in neurology, and an unusual neurological episode happens to you?

How did your dad check for permanent damage?

How did the blood rush down to your legs if you were lying down?

It's an exciting, attention-grabbing story, but it does not ring true.

The first thought I had was that you simply fell asleep in the bath which is a very easy but very dangerous thing to do and the best thing would be to ensure you don't do this again if at all possible. I'm very glad that your dad was able to help you before you slipped under the water which would be an inevitable outcome considering you filled the bath so full!

Perhaps in future it would be more sensible to use cooler water - very hot water can play havoc with your body's ability to regulate it's own temperature and may have led to some of the symptoms you describe and can also lead to scalding - and to not fill the bath as much. There may be other simple interventions such as asking your parents to check on you every few minutes. I can't see why it would be necessary to oversee you bathing if this is the first time this has ever happened. Of course, if there is some underlying reason why you fell asleep and it is likely that it could happen again then of course it would be sensible for your parents to monitor you but I think it would be a backward step for your independence otherwise!

I have fallen asleep in the bath before and was very woozy and disoriented when I woke up. It gave me quite a fright as I'm sure it did you.

Edited by Lyndalou

Agre with Tally, Adam.

If this really happened to you, and you have a head injury, you need medical attention as soon as possible as it needs to be checked out by a doctor. It's not something we can or should be advising you on here.

Kathryn

Okay so im 12 years old i have high functioning autism and 30 minutes ago i almost died. My dad ran me a bath and i got in washed myself and put the hot water on full blast until the bath tub was full the bathtub was so confortable i fell asleep in it. Approximatley 3 minutes later i wake up and due to the lack of oxygen my respiration was failing. All the blood exited the brain and rushed down to my lower body hence why i had neurological symptoms. I struggle to exit the bath and my dad walked in and said come on hurry up and i wasnt responding he said adam are you alright? Then i blacked ou felt dizzy, hallucinated and bashed my head int the door i was struggling for conciousness but thanks to my dad he helped me regain my conciousness. Checked ffor any permanent damage and enabled me to rest. My parents are in trauma after what happens i will now be undert their supervision whilst washing myself to prevent further incidents. Although its annoying i know they are doing it because they care about me and are good parents. If it wasnt for my dads hasty reaction. I would of died of cerebal asphixtation. Any advice please?

kind regards

Adam

Glad your ok now thats why i have to help my 12 year old son bathing washing hair is hard for him your knowledge is excellent.....

I have some advice Adam, don't use so much hot water in your bath and don't fill it up so full and I think you'll be fine.

I say this cuz I've done the very same thing, and I know 5 other people who have passed out (both in the bath and when trying to get out of the bath) and this is purely because they have over-heated. Mix that with a full tub and no-one to help and yes, they could have died. All of these people now have cooler baths or they have a shower and it hasn't happened to them or me since - problem solved :)

...although my symptoms do resemble that of nacropelsy i actually have acute insomnia thankfully no sleep amenia with it....

i just need advice on prevented this kind of thing on happening again

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear you have no sleep anemia..

How do you mean, you do have insomnia.. in what way: having trouble falling asleep; waking up several times a night or waking up really early (or a mix..)

Have you ever used a sleeping journal to keep track?

Some people do tend to have energy for three.. and sleep less than others.. Though if you call it insomnia yourself, you do also know that it is not an ordinary occuring thing..

Do you dream a lot, or actually very little.. ever had hallucinations before the lapse in the bathroom?

Do you have a regular routine when going to bed.. avoiding TV, computers, cola etc at least one hour prior to sleeping..

Ever forgotten a part of the day?

It might even help to let your blood be checked on B6 and other vitamins which helps to make serotonine (which helps the produce of melatonine..) to sleep better ;-)

And if you really want advise.. and you are a curious bloke..

well see above for one.. ;-)

and secondly: For everyone with AS routine is key, so is mental rest..

mental rest is best acquired thru

a) activating the body more (AS people tend to be too brainy ;-) ) for at least 30-45minutes every day.. take your camera for incentive :D on a walk or bike ride.. or learn to do yoga (I never knew how much knowledge there is to attain through really looking into that.. it's wáy more than difficult body postures.. actually it shouldn't even be uncomfertable, for than you're doing sth wrong!! One should listen to the body first, even more so than to the instructor! Hatha yoga is a good start..)

B) learning to calm your mind thru meditation.. try and sit, just observing your breath going in and out thru your nostrils.. first a few minutes (a timer might help..)

Your mind will always want to wonder.. it's not used to being silenced.. though, ahem.. who is in charge here?! You or your thoughts ;-) Gently address your thoughts and continue on focusing on your breath.. NB: trying is good, being nice to yourself also.. Don't let any negative thoughts in when things don't go as planned (ever! actually), rephrase to a positive form

c) if you have a busy head.. which is very common for people with AS.. write stuff down!! Get it out and not spinning in your head ;-)

Those three things help me a lót!! I wish I'd known before..

I hope it will benefit you too, or sb'else reading along ;-)

if i had found my son like that i would have gone demented,he is 12 with high functioning,ASD he complians if i make his bath too hot and so i am more careful and then he claims its too cool :rolleyes: You need to be very careful around water, you can drown in just enough to cover your mouth and nose. YOU ARE NOT IMMORTAL,IF YOU DO THAT AGAIN YOU RISK DEATH. :shame: Your poor parents are doing there best for you, do not destroy them by harming yourself like this,they will be DEVESTATED IF ANYTHING BAD HAPPENS TO YOU :crying:

I think the key to things in life is to work out where you went wrong or made a mistake, and to learn from them (after all, we aren't born knowing everything).

Let yourself acknowledge that it was scary, and use that positively to try to avoid it again.

I went through an accident prone phase at around your age, I ended up in hospital 3 times (trod on a glass, burned my foot in a scalding bath, and got run over by a car) all these things happened because I wasn't paying attention to things around me, I wasn't taking some degree of care (I just blundered around without thinking or seeing) and I didn't think first.

You'll learn, don't worry :)

Edited by darkshine

Now why doesn't it surprise me that you'd be interested in that? :rolleyes::D

I was 10 or 11 and I went to the shop to buy an ice-cream, it was a very warm summer, the shop wasn't far from my home (round a corner and along a section of busy road, then across the main road) I went by myself. So I got to the shop, bought the ice-cream (it was a zapp or something like that - the kind in a wrapper) and then I left the shop to go home. As I went to cross the road, which I thought was clear (I wasn't really paying attention as I was busy rushing back to eat my ice-cream) I stepped out into the road from behind a car and I saw red and boom.... nothing.... the next thing I was in an ambulance with a ginger haired paramedic staring down at me looking worried, sirens blaring and then nothing again. I don't remember being in hospital. The next thing I was in my parents bed, it was dark and I was in loads of pain so I threw up.

That's everything I remember - I got away with it and was very lucky, apparently the car hit me and my head dented the bonnet, I skidded several yards along the road. The woman driving nigh on had a heart attack (a lot of shock), she visited me after and bought me a pack of cadbury's fingers I don't remember her now, but I remember being told her car was red. I couldn't sit down for a few days, I had to lay down or stand up and when I could sit, I could only sit on feather pillows for a fortnight as I had friction burns all down the sides of my legs and my bum (embarrassing) from sliding down the road, it made sitting VERY painful. And it was boring as I had a lot of time off school and the homework they sent me was too easy :rolleyes:

What was funny was that a few weeks after I went to the shop with my dad and the wrapper from my ice-cream was on the floor and it really upset me that I never got to eat it :lol:

Another annoying thing about this memory is that the only time I ever get to be in an ambulance and I was blacked out for 99% of the time - so gutting as it would have been interesting to see inside and fun to go really fast with lights and sirens going!

Lesson learned though, I always cross the road properly now!!! Especially after such a lucky escape.

Us poor parents. We love you and nurture you and have the pain of seeing you injured and nearly kill yourselves. I know its because you aren't paying attention. Mine does mostly but that odd occasion,when you don't think the near miss'es are horrendous and leave us :pray: for you safety and thanking whatever that you are still with us. >:D<<'> Its good job i have a well stocked draw of chocolate for medicinal piurpose of course. :lol: Look after yoursleves now and play safe. :star:

Hi epicvolts

Two bits of advice:

1. Have a shower not a bath.

2. Stop worrying about having illnesses you don't have - maybe that's affecting your sleep.

Totally scar free - from the being run over anyway :P

When you were the kind of kid I was, you get scars :lol: I'm lucky though because there's several occasions that could have turned bad or broken my bones - I've never broken any thankfully and I heal quick - but thinking back, there were lots of stupid things I did when I was a kid and a teen that could have ended badly :rolleyes:

Hi epicvolts

Two bits of advice:

1. Have a shower not a bath.

2. Stop worrying about having illnesses you don't have - maybe that's affecting your sleep.

But if you dont look out for something you dont currently have then how do you know when you develop it? Unless you meant the reference to asking if OP had certain disabilities?

As Tally said:

"It's a massive coincidence, isn't it, that you are interested in neurology, and an unusual neurological episode happens to you?"

It's fine to take notice of symptoms, just don't spend time worrying about and looking for particular illnesses. There can be any number of reasons (serious or not so serious) for symptoms.

Agree with Mandapanda. At the age of 12 iillness and symptoms are not something you should be worrying about- get on with your life, throw your energies into something more positive and let your parents do the worrying instead.

K x

12 you are young with a great future ahead of you. Be positive and do the best you can in school and accept you are a valuable person in your parents lives. You are i suspect heading for puberty as well,which can be difficult and confusing with your hormones starting to bring body changes. Trust your parents guidence,they will do theirbest to look out for you and give you what you need to exist. Try to express what you are feeling to them when you feel worried about things. Be safe be well and do well. You can have a good life. :star:

Dear Adam,

I just came across sth that interested me.. and míght interest you and of course your parents..

Ever heard of the pineal gland?! It stimulates hormones.. also serotonine (which helsp making melatonine).. a key ingredient as for wake/sleepbalance!

Around 11yrs.. that gland will start to produce other hormones (only logic: puberty ..)

Science doesn't know that much actually, they must admit.. first thinking it was just a rudimentary little gland..

My hypothesis.. As for it starts making other neurotransmitters/hormones.. other production might be lower/nihil?!

Besides that.. On the narco-forum.. I read several stories of 11-12yr olds who have fallen asleep in the bathtub, while

never ever doing that before! So please don't dismiss this hypothesis! Keep it somewhere in the back of your head..

and read up on it, also on cataplexy.. which seems different, but is also a sign/part of narcolepsy.

I definitly hope that you're and will be free from a disorder as such..!

Keep us posted will ya?! :D

Love, B'fly

Edited by butterfly73

AS people are frequently able to stand much hotter water than the average person. I know I can finish a hot cup of coffee before someone else can even start theirs.

At least they think they can stand it. The pain receptors are dulled, but the damage effects are still there.

A hot bath could well be far hotter than your body can really stand, but you may not realise it as there are no warning signs.

Yeah that's weird innit? I can take a lot of pain, so that by the time I'm moaning about it, it is actually excruciating, but on the other hand my skin is so sensitive to touch that I can feel mosquito type things land and bite (which apparently is not common). :wacko: