smileyK

Started zumba evening class

I've started doing zumba class once a week ( Wednesday evening) at 6:30-7:30 pm just trying get used to " everything" finding hard keep up to pace co ordination wise as have dyspraxia hoping as go more this get easier as with spacial awareness kept bumping into lady and friend from work felt awkward / embarrassed hope it help improve my co ordination like wii fit plus has gradually I sweat loads after the class was good fun! :) I did enjoy it! Was hard work instructor Of the class reckons it inch losing and fat burning! And i explained to instructor If we had any health problems I informed her of dyspraxia she said another girl in class had this condition too and has improved for her!

Hi smileyK

I've been doing Zumba for nearly 2 years now and it does get easier. i was hopeless at first and was bumping into other people and always facing the wrong way but now I am fine apart from when we learn a new number and then it takes me a couple of weeks to get the hang of it.I haven't lost any weight but my co - ordination has improved and I am much fitter now.

L x

2nd zumba session tomorrow after work i finish work at 4pm go into town for bit takes me 20-30 mins and then walk back to work meet my work friend and then we walk to our zumba class together with another work friend we meet as she lives nearby the class she lives on same rd! bit nervous still as don't want keep bumping into everyone again! lol!

How much arm movement is involved in zumba? I really need to get more exercise but I fear for the vulnerability of my shoulder (dislocated last November).

Congrats SmileyK!! Enjoy!

Aeolienne.. Just mention you have an injury; the instructor will take notice, and tell you not to do certain stuff! Go and enjy yourself!

Dislocated shoulder: that might take time.. longer if you do not get in shape, though ...

Zumba, most of all.. is FUN!! That alone helps to get over a threshold!

Even for motoricly akward folk like me..

And really.. you are nót the only one in the class..

There is nothing wrong if you turn the wrong way for another time: doing it and being there is the whole point!

And, feel free to mention that your motor skills aren't your virtue ;- Most women don't mind at all!!

They're all too preoccupied with their own flaws!

And you know what: you might even get a compliment on sth you might not have noticed about yourself! :D

Réally!!

It also helps you.. if you open up, be assertive enough to ask that you'd like to repeat a certain section after class... slowly.. bit by bit

and there probably will be women in the class who stick around also (because they have the sáme problem and didn't dare either..) you did dare!

Actually.. I drew certain parts for myself! I need the visual stimuli to be able to translate it to my body! I took a notepad with me!

If you dare.. you might wanna ask the teacher to video herself.. (or video the routine to cóme ;-) pre-try before the class :D)

You are free to try above mentioned.. OR.. to just take notice of it an not dó as such as yet.. áll in due time, ok! ;-)

love, B'fly

Edited by butterfly73

I'm dyspraxic too. It could be helpful if you discuss your obstacles with an instructor who REALLY knows his/her craft. There're some safety issues you might would like to address. Perhaps she can supervise that you’ve got enough space to do moves without fear of hurting yourself or others.