Anita Baston

Doing new things??

Hi everyone.

Do find that you get stressed , when doing new things? Tonight I am in charge of cooking tonight's dinner. For some reason I have got myself worked up. I am cooking chicken and really anxious about it, silly really. Asked my mum for help and she doesn't know really. I guess I am really worried in case it is not cooked properly and raw.

New things are always scary for me, but it's still good to try them.

How did your chicken turn out? I hope it was good :eat:

anita - i think natural in way get stressed,anxious,nervous when learning new life skills such as cooking for anyone but someone with an ASD these feelings/emotions more intense/extreme within us we feel them more i know i'm same when cooking get in such damn state/mess/muddle so annoying /frustrating can't calm myself down my head so can think straight clear function properly which make it easier to begin with!

it's multi tasking timing i find challenging difficult i go into full blown panic mode too low self esteem/confidence also doesn't help this highly pressured situation as i put strain/pressure on myself before even begun! i start off with small basic meals such as egg and soldiers , pasta i freak out with everything to remember get scared i'll burn myself with fat i pull away from it which makes anxiety worse increase which it didn't! i work myself up so bad! just got build it up step by step and see where it leads .... i can personally understand what it like! how it feels! you NOT ALONE with this situation!

XKLX

to be honest with cooking it trial and error you got to start somewhere better than no where so you should be proud of yourself you're even trying to learn new life skills and being independent is positive for sure! keep it up learning is part of life and help build confidence/esteem up too! you'll learn something new all time with cooking you'll never stop! good luck i'm on my way! but road still long in this area but if determined you'll get there eventually! keep up good work! well done you it's brave courageous step to make! congratulate yourself! pat yourself on the back!

XKLX

Thanks all for replying , in the end it turned out good. The chicken was lovely, mind I did keep phoning my man all of the time. Lol I am sort of ok at stirfrys and soups lol.

its scarey trying something new i get anxious trying new recipes,but when it turns out fine i feel confident to do it again and try something else. Chicken is dangerous under cooked it is chicken breast/fillets they need to be cooked for about 15/20 mins.at about 180/190 or gas mark 3/4 if you do them on your hob,Brown them first,in oil and then simmer them in a sauce for about 10/15 mins. You can alway put them in a microwave if after cooking time they are still pink .A whole chicken is aobut 20 mins to a pound in weight at 180/190 in the oven gas mark 3/4 get a Delias book or Nigella. their recipes are workable and are easy.

I'm not keen on trying new things - but I especially dislike it if it's something where people are watching me try a new thing - it makes the difficult become the impossible :)