Gutcruncher

Have anyone had any luck with Mencap?

I was advised to speak to Mencap, as the NAS and their local equivalent (WAS) I've had no luck with ever.

Do they help people with AS? I'm worried that like every other similar organisation (and 'disability' charity) will just tell me to go to NAS again, they all seem to do that.

What help could they offer, from your experience, if I get that far?

(There is a local Mencap drop-in group I could go to but I spoke to the organiser and she said I "wouldn't fit in".)

I guess it depends on what help you need? If you identify specifically what you need, you can then identify whether they fulfil that need or who else might.

They said they wouldn't help in the end when I asked about employment help... As predicted they said go to the NAS (but, again, called it the "Aspergers Society"), at least the phone operator said that. These sham organisations have phone line operators who go bezerk if you mention Aspergers. They (Mencap) have some info on their website about Aspergers but a few web pages aren't useful really.

Mencap are an organisation who help people with learning disabilities. If you have Asperger's Syndrome, then by definition you don't have a learning disability (IQ below 70). They aren't a sham organisation, you just don't fit within their criteria.