Mumble

Scram cat!

I know there's a few people here who know about cats so you might be able to help me.

I'm currently living with my Mum who has a cat. The cat's fine, very docile, it can be picked up without making any fuss and doesn't seem to bite or scratch (it's a 9 year-old neutered boy if that makes a difference).

The trouble is, my Mum lets the cat go wherever it wants. I don't mind it coming in my bedroom too much (though I'd rather it didn't) but I do mind it going on my bed, because I'm very sensitive to pet dander (I think that's something that comes off their skin :unsure:).

Whenever it jumps on my bed I just pick it up and put it outside the door, but it does feel rather like the end of the Flintstones where they put the tiger out and it jumps straight back in the window as the cat often turns around and comes back in. It either hasn't learnt that I'm putting it out because I don't want it in my room or it has learnt and is ignoring me! :lol: :lol:

Is there any (humane! :shame:) way to deter the cat either just from my bed or from my room? Preferably something my Mum won't notice as she'll throw a fit at the 'poor pussy cat' not being allowed to do and go exactly where he pleases... :ph34r:

I think cats have an inbuilt radar to detect people who are allergic to them !

I read somewhere cats don't like citrus smells, so you could try putting something with a strong lemon or orange smell on your bed.

You'll never get it to stay off the bed if you let it on the room. Your best bet is to just shut the door and not let it in your room at all.

I have cats and they have the run of most of the house but we keep the bedroom doors closed as we prefer to keep these rooms dander free! I don't think there is any way you will be able to deter the cat with the door left open. You could try some strongly sented candles that the cat doesn't like? Would your mum really mind if you shut the door?

I used to have 5 cats and they never went anywhere I didn't want them to... I only have one left now but he's very obedient, doesn't jump on furniture, does go near my rodents or my bird (all are 100% accessible 100% of the time). I allow him on my bed but only within an imaginary line 2 feet from the end of the bed. He never goes down one side of the bed that I have determined to be mine, and he doesn't scratch or wreck things (unless I lock him in the house for veterinary reasons). And for that matter all of the cats abided by those rules when there were 5 of 'em.

Of course... it was not that easy to begin with - especially when I got my 2 birds back and had 2 rats and a mouse and hamster - that was fun for a few months :lol:

So technically it is possible - but it depends on the cat and how much effort you can be bothered to put in! If you aren't staying there long then it might be easier to vacuum your bed every evening.

Another solution is to use a particular blanket for the cat to sit on (that covers your whole bed - including pillows) and then remove it at the end of the day (and get someone who's willing to shake it outside for you).

If your going with the - shut the door idea - I would suggest keeping it permanently closed as most cats will be curious to access an area that is mostly off limits. Same reason why it sits on your bed - they just know who to annoy in a placid way :lol: either that or your room is a sun trap :D

But Darkshine, this cat has been allowed to go into the bedroom and sit on the bed for the past 9 years. It would be impossible to train that out of a cat very quickly, if ever.

If you can't shut the door, another idea is to put a blanket on the bed during the day for the cat to sit on, and taking the blanket off when you get into bed.

By the way, dander is skin flakes, rather like dandruff. But what you're most likely allergic to is a chemical in the cat's saliva which gets onto the dander.

But Darkshine, this cat has been allowed to go into the bedroom and sit on the bed for the past 9 years. It would be impossible to train that out of a cat very quickly, if ever.

I did say it'd probably be easier to vacuum :lol:

So technically it is possible - but it depends on the cat and how much effort you can be bothered to put in! If you aren't staying there long then it might be easier to vacuum your bed every evening.

If you can't shut the door, another idea is to put a blanket on the bed during the day for the cat to sit on, and taking the blanket off when you get into bed.

I said that too :lol:

Another solution is to use a particular blanket for the cat to sit on (that covers your whole bed - including pillows) and then remove it at the end of the day (and get someone who's willing to shake it outside for you).

The thing is, it's totally possible to tell a cat what not to do (which is by far easier than telling them what to do), but like I said, without knowing the animal it would be very difficult to advise, because they all have personalities and what works with one doesn't work as effectively with another.

Like my mum's cat, in some ways he rules the house, he scratches and bites guests, he is very big so people feel on edge when he has a go at them but he never does this with me, with me he behaves exactly as I wish him to behave and I've only spent about 3 weeks in total over the last 10 years with him.

Or my friend's cat who "never" lets anyone pick her up and stroke her - not a problem for me, it was funny to watch my friend stare at me gobsmacked.

Or my neighbour's cat who just "won't" take pills when he's sick - so she has to ask me to do it :rolleyes:

I've always been able to get animals to do what I want to do with them... I think its cuz I think differently maybe. I don't see things as being impossible with animals. Except tricks - not bothered about them unless they serve a purpose :D

Good luck with the cat mumble :thumbs:

If I ever have to give Mitzi a tablet I now know who to ask :devil:

I'd have to use my powers of ninja to somehow warp myself to your home :ph34r: hmmm could there be a career in that? Darkshine, the giver of pills to cats in need of medication... maybe not :D

My family always thought I'd grow up and be a vet :lol: guess they were wrong, but maybe they saw a skill there that I don't really think about most of the time cuz I take it for granted :oops:

Thanks for the ideas. Of course having the door shut would be easiest but that's a bit of a bone of contention as my mother doesn't like shut doors (and I don't like not having privacy...). My bed has been the cat's 'upstairs' sleeping place for years and it seems to like it even more now as I have an electric blanket. I'll have a go with a mixture of the suggestions (vacuum up the cat and cover up the evidence with a lemon scented blanket... :whistle:) and see if they work.

Electric blanket?!?! Little moggy is probably thinking "I like her, she provides magic warmth on her bed" :rolleyes: Mine sits on a patch of the floor where the heating pipes are warm - cats are suckers for warm spots :D

Good luck with your plans - oh and there used to be certain anti-allergen sprays available for spraying fabrics... it might be worth looking into this to see if they are still available - last time I bought them was some years ago when someone stayed with a similar problem to you, and the sprays, hoovering and keeping sheets clean and fresh really helped (we used to spray the sofa and carpets - it actually smelled nice - which is a shock....).

Found a possible solution accidentally. The cat doesn't like my koala slippers (my feet must really smell! :lol: :lol:) so put them on the bed and he just looks at them and walks off! :ph34r: Only trouble is, my feet are now cold. :oops:

I have another cat question which is intriguing me - I was feeding him last night and going through all the ridiculous food options he has in the cupboard - seriously he has a more varied diet than me - but why don't they do mouse flavoured cat food? :eat::unsure:

I wonder if your Koala slippers look like another animal is on your bed, and that is why the cat goes away ?

Do you have any toy animals that look realistic enough to trick the real cat ?

I have just checked out cat food stock, and ours are eating LAMB flavour food. I am sure cats do not eat sheep in the wild !

Do you have any toy animals that look realistic enough to trick the real cat ?

What a fantastic idea! I now have a large stuffed lion on my bed! :lol: :lol: I shall report back as to whether it's successful.

Mouse flavoured food eh? :lol: Or 10 other little rodents I never knew the names of before I had cats and some I still don't know the names of... Birds - they aint great to find of a morning :huh: and rat flavoured food would sound gross :sick: but somehow more natural sounding than say beef, for how many cows have been killed by a cat?!?

The worst thing my cat has killed was a cockerel (once) - I was not happy :(