Tally

Difficult Day, In America

Today I arrived in San Luis Obispo to attend the sentencing tomorrow, of the drunk driver who killed my brother. My dad and I are reading victim impact statements in the court. I'm pretty nervous about it. I've not felt well the whole time we've been away so I hope I'm going to be able to get through the whole thing tomorrow. We have to get there at 8am but it may not be until the afternoon. They showed us the court room and the place I have to stand. Mainly I just can't wait until Saturday when I can go home and get into my own bed.

>:D<<'> >:D<

Tally thinking of you back here in the UK. Total respect for what you are doing, you are so brave. Stay strong, and have belief in the justice system. I am sure your statement will be of great value to the court, but it should be to you as well as your family those who are there with and your brother who regretably not in a physical sense. I hope by making the statements both you and your father can make a few steps forwards in respect to your brothers death, and in doing so, though I know with such actions come much stress, you can also find great comfort.

When you get home take a duvet day, you will be deserving of it, besh wishes.

Good luck,hope justice is served,your bro would be proud of u Tally.xxxxxx

I managed to get through my statement this morning. I think I got my point across. The judge sentenced him to 4 years in prison and he will have to serve 85% of that, he has already served 8 months since he was first arrested. This is about what we expected and hoped for. He expresses deep regret and says he wants to do charity work like David did, and does seem genuine, though you can never be sure.

It was such a wierd situation. I'm really relieved it is all over now. I think it's another massive hurdle dealt with. I do feel a little lighter now. Though it was never our intention to have him suffer, we would have been very upset by a low sentence so it's a relief this hasn't happened as well as that it's over.

We have a free day tomorrow and then we head home on Friday, arriving Saturday lunchtime, when I will get into my own bed with my cat and have a massive great big sleep!

It's great that you and your family are starting to get the closure you need. I think I speak for all of us when I say you've been in our thoughts and we hope you all get home safe and sound. XXX

I'm glad it went as expected Tally - you sound like you coped really well. Enjoy your day tomorrow and safe travels home.

Lynne x

Well done to both of you, that must have been the hardest thing you've ever had to do, Tally. No wonder you feel exhausted. Take care of yourself.

K x

The worst bit was beforehand. The court begins at 8.30 but the judge deals with people who have been arrested overnight first. I didn't understand it to be honest. There were still several other prisoners in the court while the sentencing was taking place.

Anyway, we had to wait our turn and they couldn't tell us precisely when that would come, though they did do their best to keep us informed. Then because I had not read my dad's statement, I thought it might be too emotional to hear it immediately before giving my own, so I was waiting outside while he read his and I kept getting waves of panic. But when eventually I went in to the court I just sat in the seat, looked at the judge, and tried to forget there was anyone else but him in the room. I didn't feel at all nervous while I was reading, only beforehand.

Then I sat in the gallery with my dad while the District Attorney argued for a long sentence and Ceja's lawyer argued for probation. They were points of law that I did not understand, and then the judge went on at length before telling us his decision.

Then we were allowed to wa

Phone.

We were allowed to wait in a room and a journalist asked to speak to us and we agreed. And then it was over and we realised we were ravenous so we went and got some lunch!

I'm very pleased to tell you that I AM HOME!!!

We left San Luis Obispo airport at 2pm yesterday for a 2 hour flight to Phoenix. The plane was a little delayed which meant we cut it a bit fine at Phoenix, and didn't really know where to go when we got there. In the end we walked into British Airways first class lounge and a man there checked us in and told us where to go and we got there with 10 minutes to spare. Unfortunately this plane was also a little delayed, but we left there at about 4.30pm yesterday, flew for 10 hours, and because of the time difference, arrived at Heathrow at 2.30 this afternoon, having had very little sleep. We were keen to get home so the delays were very frustrating, but all in all we got off the plane only one hour later than expected and our luggage was first off so we got out of the airport really quickly.

My cat Mitzi is totally disinterested in my return, and has left me the generous gift of dried mud in my bed, which I am going to have to change before I can get into it!

Friends and family have been really supportive of me and my dad while we were in America, and have taken very good care of my mum while she was home on her own.

Some people have been very upset that the sentence is so low, considering the maximum sentence for this offence is 10 years. But the judge has strict guidelines and 10 years would be for people who were more drunk, killed more than one person, or had previous convictions for drunk-driving. Because of the circumstances of this particular case, 4 years really was the maximum it ever could have been, so we are satisfied that they have used the full extent of the law.

The District Attorney told us afterward that he feared it would be only one year or even that he would be released on probation, and he thinks it was our statements that helped persuade the judge to be so tough. Even the lawyer didn't really make much of a case against going to prison after our statements. So I do think it was a good thing that we did this as we may have influenced the sentence.

Hi Tally,

It sounds like you got the best outcome of the sentencing, I still can't comprehend how this must have been for you all, but glad this part of it is complete, it obviously had to happen before anyone could even begin to think of putting that phase of this behind them.

Sorry if my words are useless - its good you got back safe and seem satisfied with the effect of you and your dad's presence at the court.

Best

Darkshine