Sign in to follow this  
pim

guernsey milk

I'm thinking of trying ds on a different milk. I've heard that Guernsey milk is meant to be ok for some kids, but it's not proven yet. Where can I buy it. Our local Morrisons doesn't have much in. I've found Island milk, Jersey and Guersey milk or Jersery milk but not just Guersey milk. Which one and whihk make is the one that's mean to have the A2 in it?

pim

pim.,

Jersey or Jersey and Guernsey milk are both pure herds and contain the same kind of milk protein which is supposed to be easier for autistic people to digest.

It is available from Sainsbury's and Tesco and I have tried it with my daughter but she develops a blistery type rash on her bottom and legs after she has drunk it.

I don't know why this would be and it's put me off continuing my 'experiment' with the milk. I remember another mum saying that her child's excema seemed to worsen after taking it and wonder if anyone else has had this problem.

Hi,

Just phoned up Sunderland Uni. The guy who answered the phone said the milk was called 'Taste the difference' and it is only Guernsey milk. Jersey milk is meant to be better but not as good as just Guernsey.

I'm of to Sainsbury tomorrow to buy it.

pim

there was a thread on this few months ago, have a search or someone else may come along with when it was.

Here it is ...

Milk Proteins:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...indpost&p=23454

'Taste the Difference' is Sainsburys own brand. I know our Tescos stock it aswell but I can;t get my son to drink any milk at the minute

I went to Sainsbury today and they didn't have it!!!

They had gold top Jersey and Guernsey milk, which I don't know if I should try. I bought some.

Ds loves milk and drinks so much. I don't really want to continue giving him soya milk long term. I know there's rice milk and other types. But he has so much rice in his diet already.

pim

as it happens in our disorganised life at week-ends we ran out of soya milk this morning so I gave him the Gold top. I'm going to try it for a few days and see what happens.

When I initailly changed his milk to soya he didn't complain. I was so surprised as the taste is so different and i think not as nice. He drinks from a glass with nothing added. I don't know what sort of changes I should look for. He's never suffered from ezcema or red ears or any other sign that he has an intolerance to it. The only thing is his loose BM's.

pim

Hi, I think it's to early to tell in the BM side yet. I can't tell with his mood as he's been short tempered and aggressive for the past few weeks. Over the last week he had been calming down. I hope changing his milk won't set him off again.

pim

My son's been very 'off' too. I'm putting it down to a major dietary infringement (my fault) and hayfever. We've stopped doing anything new until he settles again.

Hi, Just an update really. Ds had diarrea (sp?) this morning. I don't know if it is the milk. He seems happier and less aggresive today. So I haven't decided whether to put him back on soya milk or continue the gold top milk for a few days. He also had a couple of wee wee accidents. I was so hoping that this milk would be OK for him. The diet is such a complicated thing, because his behaviour could be related to the diet, weather or anything else.

pim

If it were me (and it's not) I would stop. I say this because:

1. he could be getting an opioid hit (he's happier). My son is happier for a while and then withdraws. I recognise the manic quality to the happiness now.

2. the diarrhea (*dire rear*). Nearly always dietary related (or swimming) with my son.

3. the wee wee. My 6 y/o NT daughter wets the bed on dairy products.

Not a big fan of soya either. We only do the soya yoghurts. Have you ever tried rice milk?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I reached the same conclusion. I didn't want to go back to having BM accidents again. This was the reason I changed his milk to begin with. He had soya milk this evening. I was reluctant to give rice milk as he has so much rice in his diet already. If I can get hold of just guernsey milk I might try again sometime soon.

pim