Special_talent123

sometimes don't feel like cooking and want a take out but i don't know whats gf

I didnt know if u knew any gluten free take aways, sometimes i dont feel like cooking anything. I usually ask things to be without cheese or cream or anything dairy so my menu caters for me but sometimes i just want a take out?

I didnt know if u knew any gluten free take aways, sometimes i dont feel like cooking anything. I usually ask things to be without cheese or cream or anything dairy so my menu caters for me but sometimes i just want a take out?

Is there a specific part of cooking that you dislike? For me cooking is a series of components, and the dislike of one task can really blow my motivation.

My bug bear is that I REALLY hate preparing potatoes. Buy some prepared potatoes, or even make a jacket potato. Stick some frozen vegetables in a bowl of warm water in the microwave for 3 minutes and fry up a nice steak (assuming you are an omnivore). Voila you have yourself a nice meat and 2 veg with very little fuss. I find wok cookery to be a largely painless, almost enjoyable task, maybe thats just me though.

Takeaway can be very difficult when you need a strict diet. Fish and chips are out since they cook it all in the same oil they cook the battered fish in, so everything gets gluten in. Most Chinese food has gluten in. Pizza obviously has gluten in. Indian or Thai can be OK. Maybe if you have somewhere local you can go in and ask if they have anything suitable. Some places are very good at marking GF meals on the menu, but others are not so good. But it might help you work out if there's anything suitable.

Another option is to buy a couple of ready meals to keep in the freezer for these times. You can check the wrapper at your own pace, to check it's OK for you. Some big supermarkets do have some specific "free from" meals in the freezer section.

Or you could cook up extra meals and freeze them yourself. Bolognese, curry, soup and casserole freeze well and microwave easily. You can just cook extra on a normal day, and it's there for you when you fancy it.

Or you could cook up extra meals and freeze them yourself. Bolognese, curry, soup and casserole freeze well and microwave easily. You can just cook extra on a normal day, and it's there for you when you fancy it.

This is a really good idea as it means you have home-cooked food (which is always better than the junk added to processed foods and you can control for allergies etc) and there's always something to eat even when you don't feel up to cooking (which can be a sign your body needs fuel so should be eating).

It should be something your carer/care staff can help you with the planning for. I do this when I'm feeling well and up to cooking lots, and fill the freezer. From really basic things like a mince base, you can make loads of different dishes - bolognoise, chilli, shepherds pie, etc. Pound land type shops sell plastic and tin disposable containers which are brilliant for putting individual portions in and freezing, then they just have to be heated through. :eat:

Went to a Wetherspoons recently on their Thursday curry night. The food is cheap and cheerful for a night out and virtually everything on the menu was marked GF. :clap:

You can do a test - but some people know something isn't right with their diet and stop gluten and feel better so I guess that works too - but there is a test, some health shops do them, and probably the doc but not sure about that.

You can do a test - but some people know something isn't right with their diet and stop gluten and feel better so I guess that works too - but there is a test, some health shops do them, and probably the doc but not sure about that.

Is aperger's always inclusive of gluten intolerance?

Edited by thomas mg

I don't know enough about the links between aspergers and gluten - although I've seen it mentioned a lot.

I have AS and don't have any problem with gluten though, if that helps answer your question? (badly due to my lack of knowledge)

Edit - never mind - chris's no is pretty clear :lol:

I suppose if you put aspergers and gluten into google there might be something out there about it if you are interested

Edited by darkshine

Some research suggest that if you have Autism you are twice as likely to have a gluten intolerance.

I do not know what proportion of people have a gluten intolerance, but it is small number.

I would suggest to anyone who thinks they may have a gluten intolerant to seek medical advice as the symptoms are common to a number of medical conditions.

Edited by chris54

chris i were saying that is what my intolerances do to me my doctor already told me im intolerant to gluten and lactose as thomas asked what it feels like. after eaten anything that contains lactoses thats in dairy the sugary stuff and if i eat gluten thats bread, pasta so on thats gluten then i am poorly

Edited by Special_talent123

go to the kebab house, ask for a chicken shish kebab, say no bread, ask for lots of salad, and ask if they have any olive oil to dress the salad. im pretty sure they would be happy to serve this, if there not then well.

chris i were saying that is what my intolerances do to me my doctor already told me im intolerant to gluten and lactose as thomas asked what it feels like. after eaten anything that contains lactoses thats in dairy the sugary stuff and if i eat gluten thats bread, pasta so on thats gluten then i am poorly

Sorry about that, but to anyone who does have these symptoms it is important to see a doctor to make sure that there is not another cause.

It is estimated from the sales of GF food that a lot of people who do not have a gluten intolerance eat GF food.

I have tried GF bread and it was horrible. Maybe other makes are better.