darkshine

Facebook

I think facebook is a total pile of bleep and I don't understand what people really get out of it by updating their lives by the hour - who cares if such and such is eating coco pops for breakfast or someone else is washing their car and a bird decided to take aim and splat....

I also don't understand how the "joke" people can find the same stuff funny on a daily basis - come on man, it was funny the first time not the 233rd.

In addition I really get annoyed by the "we will publicise our relationship via facebook walls people" - really - does anyone want to know that person A got paranoid because person B looked at someone else's photo and clicked "like" - yawn - they seem so sad....

As if this lot isn't bad enough - there's dozens more that I cannot be bothered to write about because I've spent long enough for now.

So - anyone else hate facebook - and more importantly why?!?

Also is there anyone out there who loves it and could't live without it? Can you justify it?

So what you doing reading it all then.

I have no idea what its all about as I don't do the Facebook thing. I'm to busy living a real life.

i wish i wasnt so quick to post on your cripe night topic, because one thing i hate with a passion is facebook, i will never create an account, even with a gun to my head. hey all i just fed my bunny rabbit, ooo im in brighton doing some shopping. i dont ###### care, and this cyber bullying thing is easily sorted, dont go on facebook you moron! its not mandatory! its not a government requirement that you have to have facebook or go on the internet. ahhhhhh!

So what you doing reading it all then.

I have no idea what its all about as I don't do the Facebook thing. I'm to busy living a real life.

Good question Chris - I only go on there because its the only way to talk to about 80% of my family - and since I decided about 2 years ago to try and be a more active member of my family - and the only program they all use is faceebook - this is the same for most of my friends too...

So my essential choice is

a. family, "friends" and facebook

b. no facebook and no family or "friends"

In answer to your question - why do I read them? I can't help it, I scan read so quickly that I see the rubbish while I'm looking for anything remotely relevant from my family and friends.

i wish i wasnt so quick to post on your cripe night topic, because one thing i hate with a passion is facebook, i will never create an account, even with a gun to my head. hey all i just fed my bunny rabbit, ooo im in brighton doing some shopping. i dont ###### care, and this cyber bullying thing is easily sorted, dont go on facebook you moron! its not mandatory! its not a government requirement that you have to have facebook or go on the internet. ahhhhhh!

Great rant :thumbs: and if not for my circumstances I would 100% agree!!!!!!

it just a social networking site for me if i didnt have it i would loose touch with friends i have that i wont get to see again

Same here - and most of mine are just stubborn in that they refuse to use alternative methods of communication - like the phone, texts, email etc

Some of the free games on there are alright though :lol:

Edited by darkshine

I will confess that I do have a FB account. Part because there are some site that to make full use of you need FB. And partly, It gives my an opportunity to see Photos of my great and great great nieces and nephew. Ill go on there maybe one a month.

I think I have 6 "Friend".

But why do people who you don't know keep asking to be a "Friend". Are their live that sad.

I will confess that I do have a FB account. Part because there are some site that to make full use of you need FB. And partly, It gives my an opportunity to see Photos of my great and great great nieces and nephew. Ill go on there maybe one a month.

I think I have 6 "Friend".

But why do people who you don't know keep asking to be a "Friend". Are their live that sad.

Aha - gotcha :lol: it gets us all to some degree despite our protests :D

I don't know why people you don't know ask to be friends - I get that happen too, I only have people I actually know as friends on mine - but I think maybe its important to some people to have a large number of "friends" - so yeah - their lives are that sad!!!!

Sounds like you have the wrong friends Darkshine. I never have those problems. I find it a brilliant way to keep in touch with people I don't see often, and learn about their day-to-day lives.

I only ever add people I know and like. I haven't met all of them in person, some are online friends. I don't very often get people trying to add me who I don't know, and when I do I just reject them.

I did have one friend who got annoying, so I unfriended her. My ex tried to add me as a friend, so I blocked him. I also had to block my uncle because he was doing me head in, but he's also upset most of the rest of my family without the use of Facebook, so you can't blame Facebook for that.

Some mad woman once set up a support page on Facebook and made me an administrator without my knowledge or permission. I worked out how to delete myself, but for a while it looked like I supported and was responsible for the content of the page. It rattled me a bit and made me feel insecure about using Facebook for a little while, but no harm was actually caused so it was OK once I calmed myself down (and got someone else to tell her off).

If people are paranoid or attention-seeking, Facebook can give them a platform to upset a large number of people. But they tend to be quite annoying off of Facebook as well anyway. Some people do seem to post more intimate details of their lives than is wise, leaving themselves vulnerable. If you want to rant about a relative or colleague, you just need to think carefully about whether Facebook is the right place to do that. If you don't want to see it in the papers, do not post it on Facebook. Used sensibly, I think it can be a great tool.

I must admit that Facebook is a bit of an obsession with me :lol: and my current way of keeping up with what's going on in my own little universe!! I know it's sad but it's also very useful...I have a lot of mums from the various places my son goes to nursery and playgroup on it, my family and various other 'hangers on'. Since I am so awful at organising myself it keeps me in the loop as to what's going on and if I need to, I can log on and remind myself of dates that things are happening!

I don't like using the phone if I can help it so it's great just to keep in touch. For instance, I've just had a five min 'conversation' with my sis-in-law in the wee box that pops up and I've just sold a baby playmat on the local 'sales' group...result! (I'm getting a bit obsessed about trying to shift stuff on it too :rolleyes: ).

I've got a private 'chat' group with a group of mums re doing 'out of school' activities with the kids like going to soft play and I was added to a 'Parents' group that I dip into.

Unfortunately, the friend I would count as my closest friend hardly uses it, one old friend refuses to use it so I have hardly been in contact with her and another friend I have to rely on texting because she's not interested so technically all my 'friends' on fb are not the ones I'd really like to have the most contact with but as I said before, I find it realy serves a useful purpose :clap:

It's family who do stupid things too Tally - if I block them I'm back where I was 13 years ago where we didn't talk - and thankfully nobody targets me and nothing happens like what happened with your uncle.

Its just that I find it an odd world - I probably look weird on it because I barely ever post anything on my own wall!!

Its nice hearing your view Lynda - a pretty positive way of getting what you want out of it.

Do you not find it to be a strange world on facebook though? Like when people click "like" when bad things happen!!

And some of the younger members of my family have facebook hooked up to their phone and they sit tapping their phone most of the day - I on the other hand - prefer to turn of my pc and know that the online world has gone until I next turn it on myself - I'd go nuts if my phone kept bleeping all day with facebook stuff like some people I know.

I use facebook a lot. A lot of my friends are on there. Its a free way of staying in contact with them. My closest friend is living in new york so i get to see pics that she posts and tal to her daily. Some days there will be 10 of us all chatting together on Facebook :)

Edited by adamsmum

i regret having a facebook account. I dislike the idea that every time i visit a page pumped with adverts someone is making a profit from it.

When I'm one of these site that has all the ad, I sort of blank them out, I will have no idea what the ad are for. Same with ad on TV. I dare say that someone will tell me that I am absorbing the information subliminally.

But without the ads we would not have all these "Free" sites. Their what pays the wages.

Edited by chris54

what ever happend to the art of convosation? its not i,ll meet you at 5 down by the harbour anymore, its i,ll talk to you later on facebook. delete it! get rid of it! kill it with fire! ###### thing! facebook ahhhhhhh! oh btw i just let my dog out for a ######, and i have a beard today, maybe i,ll go and shave, hmmmmmmmm.....

see what i mean?

I've sold a moses basket and some baby bottles since my last post :dance: . I'm heading towards my first £million - £££ signs are flashing in front of my eyes :lol:

Some interesting comments. As you may have seen from other posts I have gone back to Uni. What I am finding is that the whole social circle and scene is now based on facebook. This covers everything from formal events through cheep nights out at the local clubs where you can get free entrance if you write on their wall to personal events by groups of friends are all being exclusively arranged on facebook. If your not on facebook this world is complitly unavailable to you. Worse still people now use the controls on facebook to selectivly invite people to events and so forth. Facebook may be good in the sense that you can see what others are up to but this can have a negatrive down side if you are not confident socially or are not in the groups that arrange the activities. The end result, in my opinion, is that all the disadvantages of the NT world are amplified by facebook. This in general tends to further exclude people who do not have social skills and make them even more isolated and alone. The only good point is that you can see what other are up to and then feel bad about the fact that you are not part of it or could not cope with it. On the other hand you may view the thing as a whole irrelevance to be ignored.

What I think is concerning is that there is no notion and an over reliance on facebook for both informal and informal activities. This would seem to me to be completly to ignore any notion of inclusiveness and equality. Furthermore as far as I understand things facebook web standards do not comply with the W3C recomendations hence potentially excluding whole swathes of people who have visual or physical impairments. I do wonder why this has not been mentioned before and more vocally.

I would be interested to hear what others think.

Regards

Facebook is a lot more useful than Twitter. What on earth is the point of that?

I think you make some really good points - sometimes I feel as though I'm fumbling in the dark pretending to do the same things as everyone I have as friends on there. But I know I fail at it - I don't particularly mind - but I know I do :lol:

I don't even mind that much that everyone else does things that never include me.

But it is difficult at certain times - for example the uni I'm with (open uni) uses social networking to get students together - including facebook - this is a whole new ball game, and I find it intimidating and confusing (and that's before I've even spoken to anyone!).

Your last paragraph is so right - facebook pretends to offer inclusivity but it doesn't really give that at all - there's mini social struggles going on all over the place...

I also feel that amongst my family and friends that there is a total over-reliance on facebook - I tried emailing someone late last year and got a message back through facebook a while later saying can't you message me here? Which completely blew my mind cuz they'd already logged onto email to read my message!! Go figure :lol:

Facebook is a lot more useful than Twitter. What on earth is the point of that?

Ha - good point!!! I think twitter just provides a place for the people who feel a compulsive urge to tell everyone about every minute of their day.... no matter how mundane.... or senseless....

Edited by darkshine

Ha - good point!!! I think twitter just provides a place for the people who feel a compulsive urge to tell everyone about every minute of their day.... no matter how mundane.... or senseless....

i wonder why pepole dont eat the crusts of pizzas

i wonder why pepole dont eat the crusts of pizzas

How is that relevant :lol:

Anyway - didn't the Italians only have the crust there to hold the pizza by? I'm sure someone said that it's weird when people eat that bit (like with pasties) :D

well i find it easier to communicate online than in person

Me too - but there's some bits about online that are similar to being in person - by that I mean the internet has its own sets of rules and stuff and some of them rules can be as just as confusing! :)

Me too - but I find I am more outgoing when I'm with people I'm comfortable with (which isn't many people!).

And even then I can't keep it up for long as it gets really tiring or my head just hurts.

Its definitely easier on the internet :D

Me too - but I find I am more outgoing when I'm with people I'm comfortable with (which isn't many people!).

And even then I can't keep it up for long as it gets really tiring or my head just hurts.

Its definitely easier on the internet :D

what? your such a douce bag, you,ve only been here 7 or 8 months and you,ve already posted nearly 2000 pices of pointless ######. just sit in your room with the lights off and dont speak because nothing you say has any substance or relivence.

lol easier on the internet until you bump into a troll, only joking darkshine :lol::cheers:

Some interesting comments. As you may have seen from other posts I have gone back to Uni. What I am finding is that the whole social circle and scene is now based on facebook. This covers everything from formal events through cheep nights out at the local clubs where you can get free entrance if you write on their wall to personal events by groups of friends are all being exclusively arranged on facebook. If your not on facebook this world is complitly unavailable to you.

So true, as my daughter found. She hated facebook and decided to erase her account but when she went to uni she soon found that not being on facebook was a major disadvantage, not just socially but academically as well. She was forced to rejoin.

I find as many have said, that the world of facebook is often banal and irritating and most of its offerings are instantly forgettable. However it has its moments. Through facebook I have made contact with an old and close friend I thought I had lost contact with forever. I would never have plucked up courage to ring her but found her on facebook and sent her a friend request and the friendship resumed from there. Through facebook I have also discovered that one of my most influential teachers from junior school , whom I assumed had long since passed on, is alive and well at 88 and I am composing an email to her.

On balance, I think it's a good thing.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

On balance, I think it's a good thing.

no its not, its the world becoming lazy and letting computers take over. the negatives outweigh the possitives by a long margin im affraid.

There isn't much anyone can do about it - when I say "anyone" I mean individual people.

I hate computers - let's look at that assertion.

I don't really hate computers... I don't even hate technology but this is what I thought when computers changed from being something only richer people had to being something we all could save up and buy.

Also the purposes changed didn't they? My parents bought a second hand computer when I was about 7 - it cost A LOT of money even for the second-handness. The OS was DOS and my parents didn't have much of a clue about it. I however loved it, here was a machine that I could talk to in a set language that made sense. Words like command prompt just made me smile.

So what happened a lot of the time with this computer is that my parents would often be angrily clicking and typing and couldn't work it. I'd be standing there going "let me try, let me try, I know how to do it". They told me to bog off most of the while :lol: so I'd wait until they left the room and then I'd quickly open the word processor or the publishing software for them. Or if they couldn't work those programs either, again, I'd wait until they left the room and I'd fill the page with the text/pictures/layouts that they couldn't do - it was funny and eventually, even though I was only a child, they'd ask me sometimes to help.

As a matter of fact this story was a constant theme with any technologies that my parents bought and then couldn't work properly.

This is a far cry from today's technology - where I still know more than my parents lol - but it was impersonal, it was individual, it was nothing like today.

I think that no matter what the negatives are, there are too many people who want/need/require/ the technology that a lot of us have available to us...

I'm not a fan of facebook - but then I'm not a fan of that little social group a mile down the road from me either - for similar reasons....

I'm aware that I used to be able to remember 20 phone numbers and now its only half a dozen - my phone remembers for me so why do I need to - it a mentality a lot of people have... (until their phone breaks or is lost lol).

But is there any going back? I don't think so...

I could list negatives about facebook - and maybe my list of positives would be less - actually there's no maybe, my list of positives would be less - but the positives seem to hold more personal meaning for people than the negatives I think.

sounds like facebook has you all by the nuts, the internet is a cretion of the devil and it will be the cause of humans demise. its brain washed you all into thinking you cant live without it. i dont do anything else on the internet apart from this, helping pepole become more positive, thats it. ive only been using computers for 4 months, and ive been fine. got through 3 years of college without one, passed with distinctions etc. never even been on facebook and never will, ever! ive had so many beautiful women ask me, hey you on facebook? i want to get to know you better. and im like sorry love as fit as you are i wont ever sell my soul to facebook. facebook needs to be deytroyed as soon as possible. if you agree with me then terminate your accounts and win against the machine. we are the superior species, not computers. lets bring back our indipendence, lets go back to the way life was in the 50,s and 60,s when children wernt spoiled brats and pepole werent money grabbing souless ######! i just wana go to facebook head office with a sledgehammer and smash the office up, go to the creator and say give all the money you,ve made from facebook to charity you greedy ######. right before i blow a fuse rant over! ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

sounds like facebook has you all by the nuts, the internet is a cretion of the devil and it will be the cause of humans demise.

I think it has got us all by the balls and we rely on it. Just imagine the headlines if facebook went off line for a day.

I like in a shared accomodation block with 5 others. Our internet went out for 4 days last month. Guess what we all ended up in the common room talking for once, then we got some wine out and had a really good chat. In one sense the internet is making us all less sociable!!!!!!!

its brain washed you all into thinking you cant live without it. i dont do anything else on the internet apart from this, helping pepole become more positive, thats it. ive only been using computers for 4 months, and ive been fine. got through 3 years of college without one, passed with distinctions etc. never even been on facebook and never will, ever! ive had so many beautiful women ask me, hey you on facebook? i want to get to know you better. and im like sorry love as fit as you are i wont ever sell my soul to facebook. facebook needs to be deytroyed as soon as possible. if you agree with me then terminate your accounts and win against the machine. we are the superior species, not computers. lets bring back our indipendence, lets go back to the way life was in the 50,s and 60,s when children wernt spoiled brats and pepole werent money grabbing souless ######! i just wana go to facebook head office with a sledgehammer and smash the office up, go to the creator and say give all the money you,ve made from facebook to charity you greedy ######. right before i blow a fuse rant over! ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Perhaps a little over the top, but, we need to be very watchfull of this. The technology should not control us!

I use facebook and enjoy it. My husbands family live in the US, my family are in Scotland. I have childhood friends, university friends, friends from when I lived in different places and it allows us to keep in touch and more importantly for both our families it allows them to see up to date photos of the kids etc seeing as they miss them not living close by.

I don't add anyone I don't know. I think it only becomes an issue if you use it instead of real socialising. I still go out for dinner with friends, I still call my family on the phone etc. It's a nice way of keeping in touch with multiple people, but it doesn't replace proper contact for me at least.

Edited by Lynden