JeanneA

18 on Friday

Hi Glen will be 18 this Friday and he is coming home on his birthday for the weekend, so looking forward to seeing him, however he has been a bit unsettled of late so hope he will be ok.

Thanks very much. Its just such a shame that Glen has no idea what reaching 18 means makes me feel sad when I think about when my eldest 3 kids reached 18 how excited they were as I was many years ago when I was 18. With Glen we have to keep his birthday very low keyed no celebrating as that is best for Glen and making him happy is whats important.

I hope he'll be more settled by the weekend and you can enjoy spending the day together. A low key day sounds perfect and something Glen would enjoy most. Happy birthday Glen!

Thanks very much Tally I'm sure all will go well, fingers crossed! :party:

Hope all goes well. I nice calm quiet but enjoyable weekend hopefully ahead for you all.

Hope it goes well on Friday, Jeanne. My lad was 18 in November and it did hit me quite hard, even though I wasn't expecting it to. As long as Glen is happy, that's what counts on the day. Will he tolerate presents and cake or is it all too much for him? It's just a number between 17 and 19 at the end of the day. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Oxgirl sorry to hear you felt 'down' when your son turned 18, that is exactly how I am feeling. It is really hitting me, especially as I know how my eldest 2 felt when they reached 18, it's a big thing 'becoming officially an adult'! As you say though 18 is just a number after all, Glen will have no idea he is 18. I have got him a cake as he loves his food but will not sing happy birthday or anything like that as he wouldn't tolerate it. He will open a few presents as long as there isn't too many, I've learnt over the years what to do. As long as he is happy with his party foods that's the main thing, if he smiles as much as he did on his last home visit then that would be great, but is he doesn't then thats fine also. Glen is never the same each time he comes home so you never know what to expect. Just having him here though is enough, as I do miss him very much. :-)

Hi I'm looking forward to seeing Glen later today, I will keep everything low keyed as I've said for his birthday, as that is what's best for him. I will let you all know how the weekend goes. :-)

Hi Tally thanks so much for your fab message :-) Glen has been a little anxious since coming home but I have kept things very low keyed and will do again tomorrow when his brother and sister come round. Glen is very happy now enjoying his desert of fruit, wafers and icecream. :-))

Hi yes all went well, no fuss which is the best way. Glen liked seeing his brother and sister again and enjoyed opening their presents. Glen of course ate lots of party foods and a piece of chocolate cake which is his favourite. :balloon:

Hi everyone hope you are all enjoying your Easter. Glen has gone back to the care home now I'm feeling a bit down as I always do when he goes back but I know he had a nice birthday weekend which is the main thing. :-)

Edited by JeanneA

Glad it went well for you all, Jeanne. It must be hard to continually have to say goodbye to Glen, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that you made him happy. Enjoy the rest of your Easter too.

~ Mel ~

HI mel thanks for your kind comments. I rang this evening to see how Glen had settled back and was told that he came in smiling and enjoyed watching a DVD. So that was nice to hear. I hope he has a good week this week at least it is still the holidays so there is no school Glen is usually better behaved when he doesn't have to do any lessons :-)