sawjd

autism event at excel in docklands london june the 15th and 16th

Hello everyone,

I have put this in the search engine on this site and came back with nothing so i wanted to share this with you and see if this could be of interest to anyone.

This event holds workshops and clinics where you can get information on welfare rights, special educuational needs advice and employment rights on a one to one basis. One ticket one visit first come first serve basis they say though, so i thought i would mention this. Clinics run i think on a half hour basis and its FREE. They even have OT advice.

Has anyone been before ?. This is the second time its been held at excel. (i have got a feeling that people have booked and i am the last to know) :rolleyes:

Best wishes

sarni

Does that have any connections with autistica or autism speaks?

Cheers if its the autism show i think they sponsor the event.

im shocked to hear this, hope she has left now.

I went last year and TBH found it very much aimed at parents of autistic children. Does this tie in with Autistica's remit?

Yeah thats the one, 'the autism show' i think it;' called definitely not going.

I've offered to volunteer at LARM*'s stall, which means I get in for free. Not quite sure what to expect, however, especially given that I haven't been much involved with LARM (I keep wheeling out the usual excuse of "don't know how much longer I'm going to be in London for").

* London Autism Rights Movement

Autism speaks or autistica want to forcibly cure all autistics.

I had no idea it was connected to that kind of thing, which I hate grrr.... I have already got tickets though. I'm a parent...as well as an undiagnosed adult currently. Hopefully I will get something out of it.

I helped out on IPSEA's stand last year - think there is a thread about last year's event somewhere here. One of the members of this forum also spoke very well about being a univrrsity student with AS. It was an interesting event but I think a lot of people with autistic children found it a bit busy and noisy.

Don't think I'll be there this year as there's too much going on for me around that time.

K x

I went last year as a parent and as a professional supporting parents. I found it interesting but in terms of information there wasn't a huge amount there that you couldn't find with google - it was handy to have it all under one roof but it wasn't quite what I was expecting - not sure if I'll be there this year or not.

Lynne

This show isn't connected with a particular movement or organisation, there are a large number of exhibitors at the event representing a wide number of approaches. More here:

http://www.autismshow.co.uk/

Probably most useful for parents of newly diagnosed children, but I wouldn't recommend that parents take their children.

K x

Didn't mean to cause any confusion, but if I did go I wouldn't be responsible for what i might say to autism speaks or autistica