Haze

His aspies in families

I wanted to ask can aspergers run in families as iam starting to see my sons behaviour in my hubby so much, he hates crowd's, when in conversation he is so blunt it can come across sometimes as rude, routine, wont accept anyones view but his own,as friends but cant be bothered he prefers his own, mood swings or his just getting old LOL i would love to hear from you

HAZEXX

Asperger's is probably genetic and does seem to run in families.

In my family I am diagnosed with Asperger's. I believe my dad has Asperger's. He had an aunt who may well have had it too. I never knew his parents. On my mum's side, my grandma seems to have some traits and I believe my uncle has it. Although my mum is almost normal!

i deffo in my personal experience/situation and opinion it is genetic runs in families i have A.S i personally believe my mum's sister has it and my 1st cousin also has it too but never been assessed or officially diagnosed with anything!

XKLX

Lots of emerging evidence that there is a genetic element though like a lot of things people might be carriers. My father has some autistic traits but nothing like mine. By all accounts his mother who died when i was very young could have had AS she was described as a very eccentric, opinionate recluse by people who new her. I ahve yet to see any real strong traits in my 7 year old.

As a side line i had a very difficult birth and was still born and took some time to revive so have felt that there might be environmental factors which could trigger a gene to become emrgent, just speculation but thought it might add to the other points raised.

Yeah it can run in families. Both my parents seem to be asperger.

I wanted to ask can aspergers run in families as iam starting to see my sons behaviour in my hubby so much, he hates crowd's, when in conversation he is so blunt it can come across sometimes as rude, routine, wont accept anyones view but his own,as friends but cant be bothered he prefers his own, mood swings or his just getting old LOL i would love to hear from you

HAZEXX

I would say definately i have 4 children all have traits to different degrees .....didnt realise it until recently ....but makes sense now....

My opinion is quite different, I am guessing. I believe both myself and my ex(father of my boys') have many traits and thats how we have two boys with ASD. I think it is the combination of the traits and not that we ourselves have ASD.

I have two brothers one had ADHD dx at 8yrs old but seems to have "grown out of it" or just mis-dx'd. My other brother has a dx of bipolar disorder. My mum is very eccentric,intelligent but acts silly very clumsy and my father is a loner(for want of a better word.) My parents divorced 17 years ago yet my dad is still on his own and has no friends. The friends he had in the past were husbands of my mums friends. So there are many indications of ASD but I cannot say any of my family would meet the criteria for a dx.

I have had many problems socially in the past,I also had terrible eating habits,needed OT for co-ordination problems,had extra lessons for mathematics and writing for most of my childhood. My ex is very controlling/possesive, does not see anyones point of view as he is "always right" and is a bit OCD at times.

Again neither of us would meet the criteria.

I can see strong traits in my eldest son (Josh)and my youngest(Elijah) to,but I do not feel they have ASD. I think the problems Sam and Dan have are very complex and more obvious I guess and that is why they have a ASD dx.

I to agree with Justine. I think myself and my ex have traits as does my eldest son who is 26, but I also but think we have enough traits to ever be diagnosed. My eldest son is very OCD and has social problems, he is quite a loner particularly as he has got older. He had a speech delay and was diagnosed at 2.1/2 for that, his dad (my ex) also had a speech delay when he was young as did his dad (my son's grand=dad) so speech problems definitely run in my ex's side of the family and seemed to have been passed on to both my sons. However, my Dad suffered with depression, (he is sadly no longer around). I remember when I was young he used to go to a mental health hospital every little while for around 3 months at a time. He had treatments there and would come back a much more relaxed/happier person. So I think that could be where Glen has got the 'depression' from, who knows for sure but when there are close relatives in your families with various traits it is not too hard to realise why your child may end up being diagnosed with autism or similar disability.

Thank you for replying

after me and the hubby read your replys we went and got info on aspergers and he admitted yep i do fit the apsies traits but here is what i then got thinking if there is a faulty gene in us could the same rule apply like epilepsy for example, in my family we all have epilepsy and those who have not got it know that if they get severe virus , allergic reaction and head trauma of any kind then epilepsy will occur.This was the case in five of my family members they only developed epilepsy after a virus and injections and a stroke. So do me and the hubby carry a faulty gene that when such a event like mmr jabs and then a reaction or a bad virus or injury does this trigger the gene to wake and effect the development of the brain hence like my son he doesn't meet milestones he sturggles emotional and socially due to the brain development or the faulty gene im really interested. Here is something also we noticed we thank you all so much my dd as always struggled with friends and eating and routine slightly hates social situations and is under a consultant for it and i to think maybe i have a trait of apsies as i have ocd when it comes to routine, don't like some food if to runny and i hated school.

HAZEXX

One piece of research I was reading about says that up to 300 different gene are involved in Autism, this explaining why it affects different people in such different ways.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10275332

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/gene-trawl-shows-clues-but-also-complexity-in-autism

http://www.fiercebiomarkers.com/story/faulty-genes-may-trigger-early-autistic-brain-growth/2012-03-28

Just added 2 more links, there are many different articles out there about gene research.

Edited by chris54