A-S warrior

favorate sweets of your childhood

from images above we have,

1. resses peanut butter cups

2. blue licorice cables

3. jelly tots (1997 version)

4. blue and pink fizzy bottles, oooooh yeah ;)

5. fanta grape, it did exisit for a time in about 2001 i think.

6. ben and jerrys cookie dough.

7. aniseed twists, yum yum yum

8. mr whippy.

9. milkyway.

more to come!

what were your favorates as a child?

Edited by A-S warrior

I can remember every Saturday going to Saturday matinee at the pictures, Champion the Wonder Horse, Lassie, Flashing Blade, Godzilla, Laurel and Hardy etc... and stopping off at a proper sweet shop on the way which was simply full of jars of sweets nothing in wrappers besides plain chocholate bars.

My favorites were Raspberry and Blackcurrants which were strong flavoured hard boiled sweets and would buy them by the ounce. There would be a que of kids and there were always two staff a husband and wife. I would always try and get the bloke to serve me as he would weigh them out and if it was close on the scale always drop another one in she never would.

The highlight of the day for me was on the way home however when we would go into the bakers at the top of the high street and get a freshly baked barm, a massive thing. We would carefully break into it and pick out a lot of the warm dough as we walked down the hill. On the bottom of the street there was a chippy and we would go in and then have the hollow barm cake filled with a portion of mushy peas. The bread would soak up any and liquids and you would work your way through it till you got home. In winter it was a really good idea as it thawed your hands out.

From memory the cost of the whole day was 8p which gave me 2p left of my pocket money which was abag of crisps after mid week rugby training.

Happy memories.

8p!!! lol wow i rember my dad telling me about going to the sweet shop and getting bags and bags of sweets for like 2p, i thought he was having me on!

Any thing with a strong flavor. I can remember when at primary school, walking to school with my little sister, We walked best part of 2 miles to school (On our own). Calling in at the sweet shop and getting 2 ounces of winter mixer, in recollection it seems ever day but I don't suppose it was.

winter mixture, they tasted like antibiotics. if memory serves me i think they had aniseed twists in the mix, that to me was the only good thing about them.

I loved cherry lips, chewy nuts (balls of caramel), cola bottles, refreshers chews and sherbet pips.

at primary school if we were good we were allowed to have 1, 2 or 3 sherbet pips from a jar the teacher had!

I had one - from good old woolies (woolworths) - I got it down to half the size and by then I was totally sick of the sight of it, but I still wanted to see in the middle so I smashed it with a hammer.....

I used to like the packs of 3 normal sized gobstoppers - the fiery ones used to be nice inside, and the icecream ones were nice...

Anybody like icecream flavour chewits?

Urgh that sounds so wrong Chris! But then I've never tried it so maybe I shouldn't judge :lol:

I'm not that bothered about ice-cream but I do occasionally (like 3 times a year) like rum raisin/mint/strawberry or possibly vanilla sometimes (as long as the vanilla is the yellowy version and not the cornish white) :D

Urgh that sounds so wrong Chris! But then I've never tried it so maybe I shouldn't judge :lol:

I'm not that bothered about ice-cream but I do occasionally (like 3 times a year) like rum raisin/mint/strawberry or possibly vanilla sometimes (as long as the vanilla is the yellowy version and not the cornish white) :D

when im feeling a bit naughty, i take the above ben and jerrys icecream and smash in peanut butter cups, and mix togther. if your going to have icecream boys you gotta do it right.

The only thing I've ever liked with any kind of nut in it is nutella chocolate spread - when I was about 14 me and a mate (at the time) found out that the plastic tubs of nutella were about 30p so we went through a phase of buying one each and eating it with our fingers - I'm amazed I did this due to germ issues at the time as our hands could not have been very clean after climbing trees and crawling around places - but there you go, I did do it - I wouldn't have shared a tub though cuz of germs - double standards :lol:

When I was older and I was in a bedsit, me and my neighbour had both run out of milk on a sunday, there was nothing open at the time, so we thought we'd put icecream in our coffees, except the only one my neighbour had was neopolitan, so we scraped the white vanilla stripe off and added it - it was absolutely disgusting cuz the strawberry and chocolate taste was still there :sick: we drank our cheap coffee black that day after that - trust me, don't try it! Maybe vanilla on it's own would work - I've never had the bottle to try it again since :P

why am i reminded of that laurel and hardy sketch when stan keeps asking for an icecream flavour the clerk doesnt have.

clerk, we have strawberry, pineapple and vanilla

ollie, what flavour do you want?

stan, i,ll have chocolate

I had one - from good old woolies (woolworths) - I got it down to half the size and by then I was totally sick of the sight of it, but I still wanted to see in the middle so I smashed it with a hammer.....

I used to like the packs of 3 normal sized gobstoppers - the fiery ones used to be nice inside, and the icecream ones were nice...

Anybody like icecream flavour chewits?

i never did it either, i went through numerous attempts, i would get mine from a sweet shop in brighton and they were like croquet balls

it would of been ok if they were grape flavored or cola flavored or something, but they had no taste to them, and got really boring. i got one down to snooker ball size and got bored of it.

50506_246388311180_6360801_n.jpg

I used to ask at the sweet shop for a "two-and-a-half pence mixture." Blackjacks, Fruit Salads and most of the others were 4 for a halfpenny so I'd get about 20 sweets in a paper bag. From the jars behind the counter, I liked bonbons (especially the white ones and yellow ones), pineapple cubes, and pear drops (although they did and still do make me cough).

I liked Texan bars but you had to hold your spare hand underneath to catch the chocolate as you bit the toffee. Same with Curly Wurlies. And I used to like Cresta which really was very fizzy and frothy. If I was feeling particularly decadent, I'd blow my pocket money on a packet of Mintolas.

I used to ask at the sweet shop for a "two-and-a-half pence mixture." Blackjacks, Fruit Salads and most of the others were 4 for a halfpenny so I'd get about 20 sweets in a paper bag. From the jars behind the counter, I liked bonbons (especially the white ones and yellow ones), pineapple cubes, and pear drops (although they did and still do make me cough).

I liked Texan bars but you had to hold your spare hand underneath to catch the chocolate as you bit the toffee. Same with Curly Wurlies. And I used to like Cresta which really was very fizzy and frothy. If I was feeling particularly decadent, I'd blow my pocket money on a packet of Mintolas.

im so glad im not the only one that coughs while eating pear drops, whats with that?!!!

Dennis the menace chew bars - they were black and red and I used to put it on a plate, boil the kettle, and then pour the boiling hot water over the plate and bar - it used to go very very soft - I'd then eat it with a teaspoon - god they were so good!!!

I was gonna say I haven't got a clue why I did this - but I just remembered - I read it in either just william or boy - where they put liquorice in water to flavour the water - I can't explain why on earth I made that leap from cold water to boiling a kettle and melting the thing...

Maybe it was my arsonist tendencies

I like those - but not very often :lol:

I really went off the teacake things - the marshmallow on biscuit with a bit of jam between and the whole thing covered I chocolate - this is due to a competition with my dad as to how many of the things we could get in our mouths - haven't been able to stand the things ever since :sick:

i can immagine, couldnt of been a pretty sight. penguin biscits sucked as well, the most overated biscuit of all time, and the jokes just made me want to hurt somebody.

but another biscuit that that wound me up big time was these things

220px-Choco_BN.jpg all they did was make me thirsty, f**ing things!

I didn't mind eating penguin bars but agree the jokes were abysmal - what the hell were those things called - I remember those, they were thirst provoking biscuits :lol:

I used to like these things called pims (might have been pimms) can't remember... anyway they were essentially a jaffa cake but instead of orange filling they had raspberry and instead of dark chocolate on top they had white chocolate with a milk chocolate drizzle pattern - and they tasted like the filling of a cherry bakewell so I guess there was almond essence or something - they were so nice :D

oh and thoses jaffa cake things ring a bell, i do rember something like that. i liked it when jaffa cakes made lemon and lime jaffa cakes, they were awsome.