Sign in to follow this  
phasmid

Got a mobile, kids got a mobile?

My phone now has two 'ICE' contacts for Mrs Phasmid (home and her mobile). In light of Thursdays horrible, horrible events this makes sense:

An ambulance service has launched a campaign to ensure next of kin are alerted quickly in cases of emergency.

East Anglian Ambulance Service has started the national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign.

"All people have to do is store the word "ICE" in their mobile phone address books and put the next of kin's number against it," said a spokesman.

"This is the person to be contacted quickly 'In Case of Emergency' by ambulance and hospital staff."

Falklands hero Simon Weston is helping the ambulance service to publicise the idea across the UK.

He said: "It's so simple that everyone should do it as soon as they hear our message."

What a brilliant idea. Will it be recognised all across the country?

Viper.

Since posting this I have heard of at least three other Ambulance service's who are taking this up. Also the police. It may not be a fool-proof way of contacting your next of kin in an emergency, but it's a starting point. I know I'd want my family to know asap if anything happened to me and I couldn't contact them myself.

This seems to be getting across to people. The posting I made on the TES forums has been kept at the top of the list. I think for our ASD kids who carry a mobile this could be invaluable.

Spread the message to everybody you can think off.

Hi,

This idea is now on the bbc website which will hopefully increase the uptake even more.

The simplest ideas are usually the best, shame it's taken such a tragedy to get this idea noticed.

wac

This idea is now on the bbc website

Yep. :)http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm

I've now got 4 ICE contacts on my mobile phone ... maybe a bit greedy(!), and I doubt the emergency services would be terribly keen on calling all 4 of them, but they can pick the best one of the 4 available, should the need arise - I've clearly labelled each one, so they know how each person is related to me (either a close friend or family).

James

I found myself using my first aid training the other night. Someone had already contacted Dad via the lads mobile with an 'ICE' contact. It made him a lot calmer while we waited for the ambulance. I was then assisted by an off-duty PC and an on-call fire officer.Mum was also able to get there (just as paramedic finished checking him over and getting him in the ambulance), both of whom were very pleased to find Dad already there. When the paramedics arrived Dad was able to give a complete medical history. Made their life so much easier.

This alone has proved to me that this works!

4 numbers isn't greedy, it is sensible. My kids have a phone they can use on odd occasions (only phas Jr owns one). Now I know that in an emergency someone can get hold of us very quickly. It gives peace of mind if nothing else. The ICE numbers are; my work, my mobile, Mrs P's mobile and home, last resort number is gran. Have been told by the EAAT that you can also number them in order of preference (ie: ICE 1 Dad mobile, ICE 2 mum mobile and so on).

Keep spreading this, it works. I have seen the proof of it with my own eyes!

Edited by phasmid

wow ty for that am off to do it now!!!! B)