ThinkingMe

What did you make of this test?

Sure this has been covered a million times.

This minds eye test...

What do you make of it? I'm not diagnosed yet - but do believe I have AS. I think I find decoding some facial expressions fairly difficult - but not the obvious ones, I think the more subtle ones I find confusing. Although, I think I find it harder to show a range of expressions on my own face? Anyway! With this test - if I just looked at the eyes...if I just looked at them, I found it hard to imagine what they were expressing, (not always, but in many cases I had to think hard about it)....but then they give you a multiple choice answer! Seems a bit of a cheat since there seems one that tends to stand out as a more likely answer than the others in most cases and so, I'd rule the others out?

Anyway, I scored 24. Apparently a score of 22 or under means you find it difficult & a score of 30 or more shows you're very good at it.

Wondered about other people!

http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/Faces/EyesTest.aspx

I scored 19 but I think that was mainly due to luck. Without the multiple choice answers I wouldn't have had a clue.

I took one look at this and the eyes are just freaky - I didn't do very well - Its quite hard isn't it?

I got one of my housemates to do it and they got 26 - I got 16 - thought I'd copy and paste my results...

Your score: 16

The correct answers for the ones you missed are

1: playful

2: upset

5: worried

6: fantasizing

9: preoccupied

10: cautious

13: anticipating

19: tentative

20: friendly

21: fantasizing

24: pensive

25: interested

27: cautious

28: interested

29: reflective

30: flirtatious

31: confident

33: concerned

34: distrustful

35: nervous

I have to admit that quite a few were guesses for both the ones I got wrong and the ones I got right :lol:

Edited by darkshine

I scored zero. I failed even on the examples before the test, then after about three of the pictures in the actual test, I told the psycholoist that I didn't know how I was supposed to know any of the answers and that I was just guessing. She abandoned the test.

It isn't easy or obvious. I just had to try to go with a 'gut' feeling and scored 29 - but I felt that more than one description fitted most of the eyes. So who knows! And I don't think I would have identified the 'emotion' without the multiple choices.

I got 29 too. I do think that some could be more than one thing like Sally. Wouldn't have got most without the multiple choice either though.

I scored 18, but I guessed most of them, didn't even have a "gut feeling" on them. Most of them I thought showed no emotion but the answers listed quite strong emotions such as "aghast" or "terrified." For those ones I just picked the one that was the mildest emotion like "relaxed" or "friendly," but for some of them there wasn't a very mild option so that's where I totally guessed.

But there were 3 where I was sure what the emotion was before even looking at the options there, and there was a suitable one there, and I got all of those right.

It's an odd test because we don't normally see faces like that. Normally we can see the whole face, the body language, hear their voice and know what they are reacting to, so we have a lot more clues in everyday life.

Some emotions are very similar from a facial expression point of view. I also didn't think that some facial expressions matched what they were supposed to be showing! And I don't think any of the answers were for extreme emotions such as aghast.

And as Tally says, they have to be taken in context with conversation etc.

And I also think it is not JUST the facial expression. It is whether someone can multi task to such an extent that they can both talk, and think about what they want to say, whilst also listening to what the other person is saying, their voice tone, their body gestures etc ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I believe [from experiences with my own son], that skills can be quite good, but that they deteriorate the more cognitive, language, environmental and sensory load there is.

It's an odd test because we don't normally see faces like that. Normally we can see the whole face, the body language, hear their voice and know what they are reacting to, so we have a lot more clues in everyday life.

Meant to say before... I did this test - or a similar one for my dx... I didn't score well with that either - but I agree with Tally's points... usually there's more to go on...

Unless your a prisoner in one the cells where there's a solid door with the flap thing for checking and just happen to look at the police/prison officer peering through to check the cell - when are you ever gonna be looking at an envelope of face with just the eyes?!? :ph34r: