Just had a email saying my Raspberry Pi will be delivered by the end of June.

Just got to get all the other bits together that are needed and the down load sorted.

Chris was that from RS Machines as the distributor? Have just checked my e-mail and nothing in there yet though I registered an interest ages ago. Hope they are simply working through the backlog.

Just dug out the spare keyboard only to realise it got the wrong plug on it so got to get hold of a keyboard, or an adapter.

And the monitor I was planing to use has the wrong connection on it. Could plug it into the main telly but been told that not happening.

So for the time being it will be the old telly connecting it to the video out socket and not the HDMI socket.

For anyone who want one and hasn't registered an interest its likely to be the autumn before Pi's become readily available.

I have registered with the other distributor Chris. I thought I was pulling a fast one by using the fact I was a Head of Technology, it might have backfired and they have allocated a certain number for schools and I am now in a que along with many others. Just feel a lot of people might get the first batch and simply keep them packages thinking they might be worth a few quid on e-bay in a few years time. Know that is not the case with you Chris.

The only thing I can say in my best Monty Python (John Cleese) voice is "you lucky, lucky Ba****d".

Have fun when it comes just don't tell us about it. No honestly keep me informed would love to know what you and your son achieve with it.

Best wishes.

Darkshine you need to be an old fart to understand this one, a case of positive age discrimination.

I was fortunate to get an origonal sinclair ZX80 then ZX81, a BBC B, and a Comodore 64, all of which ended up bastardised and driving bits of technology such as lights on a train track layout and a motorised level crossing gate, throught to a pretty primative robotic arm. That was the beauty of this technology it was cheap and cheerfull and realtivetly easy to programme in things such as machine code. You could join into the mother board, run it through a transformer unit and power anything.

I know if I were to win the lottery one of the first things I would buy would be a classic car simply so I had something I could mess about with. The problem with computers as is the case with modern cars they are very difficult to have a relationship with other than as a user.

I think a lot of us feel this will be like taking a step back into the good old days and being able to reignite that fire of wow look what I have made it do. I know these are the motives around the developers in trying to reignite an interest in schools.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Taking about cars, my uncle, now well into his 90s, "Arrived one day at our house, sorry I'm a bit late, decided to swoop the engine in my car before I came out this morning." Don't think you could do that with a modern car. LancsLad, Ill be arm wrestling you for that classic car.

Whether I'm an old fart or not doesn't matter - I'm just curious as to why you guys want one and what's good about it and what you are gonna do with it?

Discriminate all you want - but you could at least answer the questions better ;):D

Mumble - I like treacle tart too :eat::lol:

I was fortunate to get an origonal sinclair ZX80 then ZX81, a BBC B, and a Comodore 64, all of which ended up bastardised and driving bits of technology such as lights on a train track layout and a motorised level crossing gate, throught to a pretty primative robotic arm. That was the beauty of this technology it was cheap and cheerfull and realtivetly easy to programme in things such as machine code. You could join into the mother board, run it through a transformer unit and power anything.

Because we will we able to play with it maybe doing some of the sort of things quoted above.

Maybe my son, who is rapadly teaching him self how to use computers, will be interested in it and teach himself a bit more about computers and how the work (Programing).

Edited by chris54

Can you reprogram other things? Like a robot for example? Could you kinda hack into the original manufacturers programming of it and change it?

My brother used to have one of those sinclairs and he had the commodore 64 - it had a tape deck if I remember right (I was very young maybe 5 or 6).

Of course those models are before my time, I didn't get involved til the amiga models got developed (they were still commodore but different as they used the 3" disks) I had the 500+ while my brother had the 500 on mine, you used to be able to do (create) animation on them and stuff which was pretty cool.

(and then he outdid me and upgraded to the 600 and 1200 versions) :angry: but the gaming software was so cool - when he let me use them :D:lol:

How hard is it to learn programming?

Edited by darkshine