Haze

toilet issues and help or ideas welcomed

my little one is five and a bit and we have a toilet issue he hates the smell and refuses to clean himself and wont go at school how to do get round this problem the school nurse suggested ignore great are you going to fix the walls after hes thrown everything at them to get our attention

hazexx

Is that the smell of the toilet, the soap, the air freshener used in the bathroom, the bleach or something else? Is there a smell that he really likes that can be portable so he can have it in his hand to sniff and prevent the other smell from overloading him?

When I was a kid the sound of the loo flushing was a problem for me but I can't remember if I avoided using the bathroom because of it. I do know I avoided drinking properly (partly because it took ages to be taught what 'drinking properly' specifically meant) so i wouldn't have to endure the noise

of the flushing toilet so much.

Hi

I think many kids don't like going at school, have you been in the toilets there?

Trekster is right to ask about what smell is the problem as it is not always the most obvious one :whistle:

We found using the moist toilet wipes helped our youngest.

when my dd was in nursery she refused to use the smaller childrens toilets so they allowed her to use the staff loo it solved her problems.

when my dd was in nursery she refused to use the smaller childrens toilets so they allowed her to use the staff loo it solved her problems.

That is a good point. Most of school loo's are little for younger ones,so they look different to the ones at home,some also have urinals and some also have the gap things at the front of the toilet seat. These could be quite confusing especially if your child has onlt recently toilet trained.

Cleaning/wiping is an issue with my son who is 8.5 yrs old,I have tried everything wet wipes etc. Encouragement does help alot but as he gets older thats more tricky as I am not allowed near the loo. But definatley give the wipes a try as they do work for others.

Edited by justine1

That is a good point. Most of school loo's are little for younger ones,so they look different to the ones at home,some also have urinals and some also have the gap things at the front of the toilet seat. These could be quite confusing especially if your child has onlt recently toilet trained.

Cleaning/wiping is an issue with my son who is 8.5 yrs old,I have tried everything wet wipes etc. Encouragement does help alot but as he gets older thats more tricky as I am not allowed near the loo. But definatley give the wipes a try as they do work for others.

my son would not use school toilets at all until he got to primary 6. it took a bit of persuading, we don't know why he would not use the toilets before he would not say.he was shown social storys and the toilets often and he was offered the disabled toilet with spare pants and clothes if he needed to change. but to now avail, sometimes i would get called to school and he was in distress in the disabled toilet because he had been desperate and messed himself,i think he just got anxious about school toilets, we used to pick him up lunchtimes so he could relax at home and use home toilet.in the end he did use school toilets and we were able to leave him at school all day.

We had this issue as well to the point kate wouldnt go to the loo for a poo at all anywhere else but home . She still not great at 13 but we have had a few breakthroughs with things like using a certain toilet .taking her own toilet wipes nice smelling toddler wipes instead of loo roll not cheap but did the trick ,visual aids to explain the process and finally tonnes and tonnes of praise and encourage ment .

Are the school willing to help with this or are there issues with them regarding wiping etc i know some schools can be strict about helping kids on the toilet xx

Hi Haze,

You might want to speak to your OT (Occupational Therapist) about a sensory diet for your child as it sounds like he is hyper sensative to smells. An OT can do an assessment and provide a programme to help reduce his sensitivity.

Many of the children I work with have been given a sensory diet and it has helped with a multitude of behaviours and has made a real difference in their ability to cope with the world. It has also made home life much better for everyone.

Kind regards

Miranda

SEN Consultancy

Making sense of SEN