Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

How to get Social Services involved

Looking through old correspondence I found a letter I had written to the Director of Childrens Services back in February 2011, asking that Social Services assessed my son's needs and assessed myself as his carer.

Not surprisingly I received no response, which has been the case for years.

So I phoned up the local government Ombudsman, who said to write to them one more time and then send in a complaint.

So i've phoned my local council this morning, and have been given the 'complaints' person to send an email to and a copy of the original letter.

I have said that I will be taking things further if I do not hear from them within 14 days.

So i'll keep you posted as to what happens.

I want my son assessed because he is not dependent and is vulnerable. He is now 11 and if he is to have any kind of social life he will need someone to support him, which I maybe able to get via Social Services or via Direct Payments to buy someone in.

I also want to see what is available for me and the family as his carers.

So, for anyone going through the same process it would appear that firstly you need to write a letter to the Head of Social Services or Childrens Services at your local authority. Give them a timescale within which to respond. And if nothing happens get in touch with the LGO and lodge a complaint.

I will keep you all posted on progress - or lack of it.

i heard somewhere that its quite difficult to get the support if they dont have a learning disability so then they wont fit a learning disability team this isnt good sign. also i lost my social worker as they assessed my needs as moderate ive only just found out im wrongly assessed and fit substantial so they shouldnt of took my social worker away from me.

I guess I have been one of the luckier ones, as social services have been good to glen and myself over the years. Glen does have learning and behavioural difficulties as well as being severely autistic so it maybe why social services have been ok. They got the children disabilities team involved when Glen was around 8 I think. Glen had a fantastic social worker for several years until she left sadly but was replaced by another lovely lady for the last 2 years until Glen was transferred to the adult team.

I look forward to hearing how you get on Sally, like you say with your son now 11 he does deserve all the help/support that is out there you are only asking for what your son needs and should get. Good luck.

Be interested to hear how you get on. Sounds like your situation is very much like ours. We have got as far a talking to someone from SS over the phone a few times who comes up with lot of ideas, but basicaly just get told our needs are not sufficient to get any help from SS.(Or any direct payment.)

Edited by chris54

I was offered Barnados ....someone to be with my son a sort of buddywho can come and visit etc......they said that wasalll they could offer..........

I'm about to complain as I requested an assessment of my daughters needs and was told that because she accesses an ASD specific youth club once a week, I don't beat her, I protect my other children from her, no ones reported any concerns, she's not in special school and "only" has mild/moderate ASD then she won't qualify for direct payments. I didn't ask for direct payments, I asked or an assessment to see what support, if any, was available. She asked me to give an example of her difficulties so I said has not developed age appropriate self care skills. She actually asked me why I can't teach them to her! When she asked me what I'd like to be able to do I said to leave my house with my dd and DS and not need a 2nd adult due to her refusals to walk ad DS only being just 5. Her response was well if she won't walk for you she won't walk for someone else! I replied I can deal with the refusal to walk/meltdown but I can't also keep my DS safe at he same time! I said what about a carers assessment instead and she said I couldn't have one because dd not entitled to direct payments!!! She didn't speak to anyone apart from the autism communication team who she said sit behind her and all they knew was that she went to the youth club so she couldn't be that bad or they would be working with dd so therefore I should go to them for support. I then explained that ACT only support educational needs and only school can refer and that they hadn't referred as under Ed Psych and getting a statement so their input couldn't add anything. She never even read the CAF! She also didn't know that CAMHS don't support ASD as its not a mental health issue! Freaking useless!

Edited by Sazale

Carers are supposed to get an assessment if they ask for one.

I remember going to an NAS seminar years ago and they said to ask SS to assess both your child [so you can access Direct Payments and buy in support for them], and also for a carers assessment.

Well 6 years on I'm still working on it. Everyone [NAS and the National Centre for Independent Living] says that they should assess on need, and like the SEN process it is illegal to have a blanket policy like only assessing children with learning disabilities.

I also didn't know that you can lodge a complaint with the LGO - however my last experience with them was pants, so not expecting much from that direction.

Just thought I would follow up the process [or lack of process], and see what I can achieve.

Although my son is assessed as average cognitive ability, he cannot read or write. He has an anxiety disorder and OCD and is unable to go out without support. And due to his fears of contamination he needs alot of reassurance to keep his clothes on. Last week as the cinema, in the disabled toilets, he panicked about germs he might have picked up and stripped off in there, and the Aiming High support worker had quite a task to get him dressed again.

So this is all on-going. I cannot see him being independent for the forseeable, and so if he is entitled to direct payments, he should get it.

Anyway, thought i'd try to strike a blow for parents of ASD children and keep you updated on what happens. So fingers crossed everyone.

I couldn't believe it when I found my letter of complaint, and saw that it was now over a year old. I had asked them to respond within 14 days - well that worked well didn't it!

Edited by Sally44

Just thought I would update on this topic.

I sent a copy of my original letter to the Director of Social Services to the Complaints person at our LA about 3 weeks ago.

She confirmed receipt of it and said she would find out WHO was responsible and who would respond to my letter.

I received an email yesterday saying that she still cannot find who is the responsible person!

Not sure how much longer to leave it until I refer on to the LGO. I might speak with them next week about it.

If your original letter was to the Director of Social Services, doesn't that give her a clue.

it was probably filed under WB. ( Waste Bin.)

I just find it amazing that the complaints person within the LA cannot find the Head of Social Services! Talk about a ship with no captain!

And I know where this person is "supposed" to be based. It's not a big building. Maybe they're hiding in one of the stationary cupboards??

I think i'll give her another week and then it all to the LGO and see what they make of it. I don't know what the legal requirement is for SS to assess if a request is made. I may email the NAS about that.

Edited by Sally44

I'm about to complain as I requested an assessment of my daughters needs and was told that because she accesses an ASD specific youth club once a week, I don't beat her, I protect my other children from her, no ones reported any concerns, she's not in special school and "only" has mild/moderate ASD then she won't qualify for direct payments. I didn't ask for direct payments, I asked or an assessment to see what support, if any, was available.

what thats so wrong, i have mild learning disability and i got direcr payments, but actually i lost themwhen adult social care no longer funds moderate needs, only substantial. I also heard that social services only become involved if the child has a learning dsaibilty with there ASD - bit difficult to fit either criterion if you dont have an LD

Yet social services must fund direct payments for physical needs, or health needs where there is no LD involved. So I don't understand what is the difference. The National Centre for Independent Living said that only assessing and funding direct payments for those with LD was an illegal blanket policy.

Maybe you should get in touch with NCIL and see if they can advise you about direct payments and if there is a chance of you getting them back again.

Good luck with this fight Sally - we have tried for years to get SS involved. From my first call (in tears) shortly after DX when I honestly thought I was going to come home to a dead body any day through referral's from CAMHS, Adult SS, and even being reported to SS for abuse! I have consistently failed to get childrens SS to even answer my calls!

I did get a carers assessment from adult SS a few years ago (as hubby is disabled) and they passed their report on to the children's team - no response. When Adult SS stopped our direct payments at the start of the "credit crunch" I tried again - no response. When hubby was reported to SS by a neighbour cos DS was "screaming outside for over 20 mins"it STILL took the duty SW a month to respond (although it was one of the funniest conversations anyone has ever had with DS) and guess what? At the end of it we had a report which stated we should receive some support form SS and then no further communication of any kind......

I have a friend who is a social worker (in the next door county) and she said they are all so overworked and understaffed that unless the child is hospitalised or arrested, there is no chance of getting a SW.....

sorry to be so negative. I'm sure if you have the energy to keep fighting you may get somewhere eventually......

Edited by KezT

I received an email from the LA saying they have now found someone who will respond to my letter. So waiting for that.

I've also received an email from the Centre for Independent Living, which is posted below, because it applies to most of you following this topic.

Thank you for your email. I have never heard that a child must have a learning disability in order for him to be eligible for social services funding. Can you please request from them to send you a copy of their eligibility criteria, as social services put disabled into four different bands/categories: substantial, critical, moderate and low. Hence you will have a clear picture if you have got a copy of it.

Social services need to look at all aspects of the disabled person’s life to assess what support should be offered to him, whether it is in personal care or social inclusion or carrying out activities or domestic tasks, etc... Each individual ‘s needs differ. Disabled people are normally entitled to a direct payment, it is mandatory on local authorities If you are the carer caring for your son, then an assessment needs to be done on you as well, in order to identify what assistance you require to look after your son in the best way. Your local authority needs to assess both of you without anymore delay, they should have a proper complaint procedure in place for you to access. It seems to me that they are quite negligent.

If you don’t get a satisfactory response at all, then you can contact the disability law service for help prior to going to ombudsman. I hope things get sorted quickly.

Got a letter this morning from the head of the childrens service [the same one that kept saying we did not fit the criteria]. She has apologised and said that someone will be assessing both myself and my son as a matter of urgency.

Regarding a CAF assessment.

I did ask the SENCO of my son's former school [as the lead professional], to carry out a CAF repeatedly over a period of years. She never found the time to do it. She has had two children in the interim! [i'm not complaining about that - just highlighting the timescale involved].

And these new SEN changes proposed by the government are supposed to 'link' education and health and social services for children and young adults up to age 25. HOW are they going to do that when I've been trying to find the elusive Social Worker for 5 years???

Here is a link to an article in the Guardian about this very issue. http://www.guardian....s-autism-survey

Edited by Sally44

Got a date for a Core Assessment.

Now can anyone who has had one of those tell me what to expect and what information I should be giving them??

Well done Sally for complaining and getting the assessment. I know I should complain but keep putting it off as not sure if ready for the hassle!

I know what you mean, but when it takes 5 years to get to the stage of an assessment, you may need to start sooner than you think!

I wanted to get them involved because as my son grows up, I wanted us to try to enable him to have a social life, and an adult [whether it was a social worker, or someone paid by us via Direct Payments] who could go with him to do the thinks he wants/needs to do. He can't stay in his bedroom for ever! And he is too vulnerable to go out on his own.

Had the first appointment with the Social Worker this evening. He is doing a thorough assessment of my son [has to take about 35 hours to complete, over a number of sessions]. It went well. It was also good that my son was on form and showed some of his obsessional behaviour and inappropriate behaviour eg. coming downstairs undressed wrapped in just a towel to show the SW his Yugioh cards!!

The SW did talk about lack of services etc. But let's get the assessment done, whilst I find what their legal duties are.

I asked him about a Carers assessment [although that had also been requested, he did not know about that - but he did say that they can do them - so i'll make sure that happens too].

Edited by Sally44

I emailed my complaint to the director of children's services, the lead cabinet member for safeguarding children and families and to the complaints dept yesterday!

What is supposed to happen is for a social worker to assess your child's needs to see if they have any services that are relevent, and whether you could access Direct Payments to buy in the support your child needs. That might include having an adult coming with you on family outings so that they can deal with your child if they become upset, rather than it splitting up mum/dad and other siblings.

And you also need a carers assessment. Again this might enable you to get a sitting service so that you get some time out of the house with your partner, or some respite care.

Good luck with it. Let us know what happens.

If you get no response [i didn't for over a year]. Contact the National Centre for Independent Living and get their advice. You can email them.

You can also make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman, and they can investigate procedures within the LA.

According to the NCIL, SS are supposed to assess 'on need'. They cannot have blanket policies eg. criteria that is only for Moderate/severe/profound learning disabilities.

As I said to the Social Worker. My son is very complex. He is capable in some areas, and in others he performs worse than a child with a MLD. He is vulnerable etc.

And thankfully my son decided at that moment to come downstairs - undressed - and just wrapped in a towel to sit next to and talk to the SW - a person he had never met before. Which just demonstrated how vulnerable he would be with strangers.

I got a reply today telling me they were looking into my complaint and would be in touch shortly. I know school will support us with how vulnerable she is and how challenging her behaviour is. We've also found out after I sent the complaint letter that the LEA have agreed to statement my dd.

The thing that makes me laugh is that the workers at school that support my dd are having to be changed to give them respite from her and vice versa as her demand avoidance is increasing. So the staff who are paid to support her get respite but social services say no care needs!

Well I would put that in writing and pass that over to the Social Worker [or pass it on via the complaints procedure].

Glad to hear about the Statement. But don't be too downhearted when the Proposed Statement arrives and is so wishy washy that it is useless. Go through all the reports and correspondence you have about your daughter. Phone professionals up [EP and SALT and OT if involved] and ask them questions and ask them to quantify and specify provision - because they won't have. And follow all that up in a letter.

Remember to appeal - because you probably will have to. The Appeal date is usually 4-6 months away. That gives you that time to continue negotiating with the LA. And if they don't make the Statement legal. Go to the Appeal. You have nothing to lose. The Tribunal Panel will look at the reports and will word it themselves.

Infact put that as part of your appeal [part 2 does not identify each and every need, part 3 does not quantify and specify provision in terms of hours of support, staffing arrangements, and therapy input and the Statement is not legally binding as it uses vague and ambiguous wording].

And get in touch with the NCIL for advice, and write to your MP IF you are not happy with the outcome. The government is trying to push through this legislation whereby our children will be support via education/health and social services up to age 25. IF SS say they have nothing to offer [and if they have nothing they should offer Direct Payments for you to buy it in], then your MP should know because, as you say, if those working with her in school need respite - how come you don't?

And make sure you put in writing too that as well as your daughter being assessed, you want to be assessed as her carer. That is very important because it is about getting respite, sitting services etc.

Thanks Sally

I have also complained in the letter that the social worker also refused me a carers assessment. Do you get a copy of all the reports with the proposed statement as I've only seen the CAMHS one so far?

The LA is supposed to get reports from relevant professionals such as the SALT, EP, [OT if involved], school, CAHMS, ClinPsych, parents etc. However I have heard before from other parents that the LA have not even sought advice from SALT or EP.

That is why, whenever I hear that a parent has requested an Assessment towards a Statement, that I always list a number of things they should do ie:

Write to the LA and give them the details of WHO is involved, or who the parents think should be asked for advice ie. speech therapist, educational psychologist, autism advisory teacher, school, CAHMS, OT, Clinical Psychology, Physiotherapist etc.

Parents can submit advice from anyone they think would be useful eg. swimming club leader, cubs/scouts leader, etc. [ I submitted evidence from the trampoline club leader, Cubs leader and private Play Therapist. I basically told them to identify needs and detail what provision/support they knew my son needed to engage in those clubs. They put that in a letter and I included it as my evidence. I also typed up things like "typical social communication skills at Cubs: xxxxx will arrive and sit at the back of the room. He does not greet anyone, or get involved in communication or any pre-club games of football. When the leader gives instructions, my son immediately goes up to them and starts to ask lots of questions which demonstrate he has not understood what he has just been told. etc - then I asked the leader to read it and sign it if they felt it was a true representation of how he was at their club.]

I also advise parents to phone the individual professionals and talk to them about what they are going to do as part of their assessment. I say to follow that up with a letter detailing what was discussed. eg. to ask the SALT to assess all areas of receptive and expressive speech using STANDARDISED ASSESSMENTS and to also assess their SOCIAL COMMUNICATION AND PLAY SKILLS.

This is SO important because they don't want to do standardised assessments. Because those clearly identify strengths and weaknesses, and give a baseline reading from which you can measure progress. LACK OF PROGRESS is the main trigger for more provison/therapy, or a different or independent placement. If you cannot prove that the current placement and level of provision is not working/producing progress, you don't have a leg to stand on.

The SALT also does not automatically assess social communication, emotional literacy and play skills. This is because it would involve their input. No mainstream school can realistically set up a social communication group/emotional literacy/play skills group without input from the SALT. So if they don't assess, they don't identify needs, they don't have to quantify and specify provision, they don't use up funding - QED. BUT every child with an ASD diagnosis MUST have those difficulties to have received a diagnosis in the first place. And it isn't a 'mild' difficulty, it has to be "CLINICALLY SIGNIFICANT". But often parents are told "he has mild Aspergers, or mild social problems." No they don't. Not if they got a diagnosis. If they were SO GOOD in those areas they would not have met the criteria for a diagnosis.

Don't assume that things will work automatically. The school/LA/NHS will work things to their benefit as much as they can and as much as you let them. Even though their own professional bodies have GUIDANCE on what they should include in a report for SEND - their own departmental managers hold the reigns and the budgets. I ended up printing off the College of OT and SALT Guidance on SEND reports and sending it to the SALT and OT involved to remind them of their "Duty of Care" and what their own "Professional Guidance" said their reports should contain.

So yes, you should receive ALL REPORTS on your child. This is not a secret assessment. Get the SEN Code of Practice and read it. Parental involvement is stated as VERY IMPORTANT in the Code of Practice. Parents concerns are supposed to be listened to, procedures and decisions are supposed to be explained - parents are supposed to be part of the multi disciplinary team working with the child.

BUT you don't necessarily get ALL the information. For example, I got the autism advisory teachers report. I did not get her addendum to her report [which she wrote because she said her advice to the Inclusion Officer was being ignored and she felt that my son was being let down, that his needs were not being met, and that he would not cope mainstream].

In that Addendum she clearly stated that he needed "a dedicated unit in class sizes of 8 similar peers." That advice was never provided to parents - or the first Tribunal. The EP's advice on placement was also withheld.

I did get that advice years later via a Freedom of Information Act search. But DO NOT USE THAT until absolutely necessary ie. when you have lodged an Appeal with SEND. You want everyone involved to be writing file notes, because once they suspect you will use a FOI Act search, they stop writing notes. My son has been discussed at LA Panel meetings about funding. They have apparently put forward an application for additonal funding and it was refused. But the Parent Partnership said that my son's name was not on the Agenda to be discussed [although other childrens' names were], and they confirmed he was discussed. The Application for Funding was refused - yet the FOI person at the LA could not find any paperwork regarding any funding. So basically they did not provide a paper trail for me to get a copy of via a FOI act search. That is so illegal it is off the scale.

I have kept that information. And IF I ever had problems with my LA again I am going to file complaint after complaint with the LGO to make such problems for them to try to prove they did not act illegally. Anyway - that is for another day and another post.

But reports towards the Statutory Assessment should be copied to parents.

Edited by Sally44

Thanks Sally, I'll prob be back asking for advice once it arrives!

I've received an email today from the councillor I copied into the email who is the lead cabinet member for safeguarding children. He has said that he's aware the complaint is being dealt with and that he is taking a personal interest to make sure my complaint is dealt with in the appropriate manner and timescales. He's cc'd the director of safeguarding children and the performance and quality manager for children and young people services into the email. Looks like my complaint may have got someone's attention!

Just an update.

Social Worker has now finalised his report. He has recommended three nights respite residential per week at his current school. He says that the school and CAHMS have agreed he needs respite. And that he is hoping that it will be funded by Education, Social Care and Health.

I'm not holding my breath. I know they are all going to be falling over themselves to try to prove that they don't need to fund it, but another department does.

But at least I will have the report, and then I can take that forward if it is turned down due to funding and follow the complaints procedure.

So will keep you all updated. Feels like i'm swimming through the sea of treacle and finally land is in sight!

The SW did say that we had a good case for full time respite. But my husband and I just could not bring ourselves to agree to that. However 3 nights would be brilliant, and would help him and us get into a routine that would be both structured, and give him time and opportunities to learn life skills, socialise etc during the residential stays, and it would give the rest of the family a break, especially from the OCD which is quite frankly hard for us to live with, nevermind how hard it is for him.

Edited by Sally44

All this sounds so oo familiar. I have tryed for years to get help from social services and they constantly say we dont meet their criteria,we also dont meet diss team criteria as A has high IQ !!! Even though can not go out alone,bullied and targeted,anxious all the time and no education! Also has now become agraphobic. They dont get involved because if child needs residential placement they will be responsible for residential fees. Thats my theory anyway. Plus they have not got a clue what pressure we are under. The law needs changing, maybe we should write to our mp or something. I am sick of our children getting no help and being passed from one agency to another and back. If they could see something physical we would get help,people are so ignorant and I am so tired of fighting.

You have done well to get assesment sally, may have to do the complaints threat . Glad to hear its not just me though,sometimes you think its something your doing wrong.Makes me feel n ot so invisable, thanx guys.

The complaint I made never got dealt with within the timescale so I have escalated it to stage 2, which they didn't like. The social services manager was due to see me last Friday but cancelled due to an emergency child protection issue, which I was fine with as cant be helped. However it had not been rescheduled, as promised by Wednesday and I still hadn't been told who the independent person was dealing with my complaint 10 working days into stage 2 so I emailed the cabinet member or safeguarding children on Weds evening explaining my situation and how dismayed I was. I also said I will be considering complaining about the way my complaint has been handled (I'm aware that I can complain to the government ombudsmen for failure to follow procedures) and low and behold I got a phonecall yesterday afternoon stating that both the complaints guy and the social services manager want to visit on Monday! Let's see what happens next!!

All this sounds so oo familiar. I have tryed for years to get help from social services and they constantly say we dont meet their criteria,we also dont meet diss team criteria as A has high IQ !!! Even though can not go out alone,bullied and targeted,anxious all the time and no education! Also has now become agraphobic. They dont get involved because if child needs residential placement they will be responsible for residential fees. Thats my theory anyway. Plus they have not got a clue what pressure we are under. The law needs changing, maybe we should write to our mp or something. I am sick of our children getting no help and being passed from one agency to another and back. If they could see something physical we would get help,people are so ignorant and I am so tired of fighting.

You have done well to get assesment sally, may have to do the complaints threat . Glad to hear its not just me though,sometimes you think its something your doing wrong.Makes me feel n ot so invisable, thanx guys.

If you follow my post from the top you will see how to get your son assessed. I got advice and was told to follow the local authorities complaints procedure because SS are LA employees, and for them to not assess because a child does not have learning disabilities is illegal. There are plenty of other children and adults out there with needs [physical and mental] and they do not have learning disabilities and they DO have support from SS.

Once you have complained, the LA is duty bound to follow their procedure. And once asked to carry out a Core Assessment of the child and also a Carers Assessment, SS are duty bound to assess.

What they have done is write a report about what needs my son has. And they have said that the specific section that deals with children with learning disabilities cannot meet my son's needs because he does not meet their criteria. So the report will go to normal childrens' SS and it will go before a Panel of people from Education, Social Care and possibily Health, for them to decide between them if and how they will fund this respite. If they turn it down I can follow the complaints procedure, and I now have a report which details his severe needs.

So don't give up. You have to complain, and you have to complain in writing.

The complaint I made never got dealt with within the timescale so I have escalated it to stage 2, which they didn't like. The social services manager was due to see me last Friday but cancelled due to an emergency child protection issue, which I was fine with as cant be helped. However it had not been rescheduled, as promised by Wednesday and I still hadn't been told who the independent person was dealing with my complaint 10 working days into stage 2 so I emailed the cabinet member or safeguarding children on Weds evening explaining my situation and how dismayed I was. I also said I will be considering complaining about the way my complaint has been handled (I'm aware that I can complain to the government ombudsmen for failure to follow procedures) and low and behold I got a phonecall yesterday afternoon stating that both the complaints guy and the social services manager want to visit on Monday! Let's see what happens next!!

If local authorities are not following their complaints procedures and timescales, you can complain to the Local Governments Ombudsman about it. They will look into your case. But first I would suggest that you speak with them, and see if they need you to write again to your LA to put in a complaint about the procedures not being followed, and to inform them that if you receive no response within 14 days that you will be referring your complaint to the Local Governments Ombudsman.

Had the meeting yesterday. I'm going to get an assessment but not by the disability team by the locality team. They apologised for the information I was wrongly given by the social worker and said it would be addressed in her supervision and they agreed it was incorrect. Talked about referring to the learning disabilities part of CAMHS to see if they will support dd as alot of her difficulties are similar but she has normal iq so not sure if they will. Talked about getting some social stories created for her and support with feminine hygiene issues from the locality team. Gave me a printed sheet with the eligibility criteria on to qualify for disability social care team to show how she doesn't meet it. Like a numpty I didn't read it till they'd left. When I read it last night it continues on the back of the page and it clearly states when a child has a dx of ASD which affects their developmental progress or their ability to access education, normal family life or where the condition significantly interferes with everyday activity. So how does she not meet their eligibility criteria?

I also don't think they've escalated it to level 2 as it is 15 working days since I requested it and I haven't even been told the Independent Person's name let alone had contact from them unless the complaints guy is the Independent person and he failed to notify me of that! Also the social services manager mentioned about how we should hopefully be able to sort it out without the need to escalate it further casually during the conversation. I have sent an email to the complaints guy today saying that further to the meeting yesterday there are issues that need further clarification and when can I expect the independent person to contact me? I'm looking forward to his reply.

Edited by Sazale

If local authorities are not following their complaints procedures and timescales, you can complain to the Local Governments Ombudsman about it. They will look into your case. But first I would suggest that you speak with them, and see if they need you to write again to your LA to put in a complaint about the procedures not being followed, and to inform them that if you receive no response within 14 days that you will be referring your complaint to the Local Governments Ombudsman.

I think I may just do that, Sally! They have met none of the timescales so far! Part of me can't be bothered because of it looking likely to go to tribunal over statement but a bigger part of me is fed up of people not doing the job they're paid to do!

As far as I understand it many LAs have a 'children with learning disabilities' section, which only deals with children with moderate, severe and profound learning disabilities. And although they could offer respite, it would be within that peer group.

But they can assess with a Core Assessment and you can get a Carers Assessment too. They should complete that within 35 days, and produce a report with findings and recommendations, which they then pass onto the childrens social services [general].

I know it is one more thing to do. And do put it on the backburner if you have other fish to fry. But that is why you must get everything in writing, because if nothing happens you can lodge a formal complaint to the LA or to the LGO and you have written proof that procedures have not been followed.

Spoke to SW who has said that the LA Inclusion Officer has refused to fund respite as says it is a 'social care' issue.

Seems the stumbling block is the word 'respite'.

Anyway, SS are going to look at it again on Monday - but they suggested I contact the Local Government Ombudsman, which I have done. So basically we have two LA departments arguing over who will fund it.

Realistically it should be both.

SW also told me that I cannot leave him alone [because I asked the question about needing the leave the house, or look for a job etc], and that if I did they would take action because it would be safeguarding issue.

Clinical Psychology discharged us because they said he needs the therapy, approaches, support for his ASD and OCD 'in the moment' at school, when his anxieties surface - which I agree with.

Contacted the independent EP I used last time and he said these OCD issues are at least relating to daily living skills and also education in its broader sense.

Contacted the IO about the LA sending me a letter about the outcome of the AR, and she said this would be coming shortly.

So we maybe back to tribunal again on this one issue. I really hope the LGO have got some xxxxx this time to actually do something.

Edited by Sally44

Why can they never just do what they're supposed to do. I hope it doesn't drag on too long for you chuck x

I haven't had any contact since the visit and the email I sent. It is now 27 working days since I requested escalation to stage 2 (and got email confirmation that this had happened). Nothing in writing responding to my complaint and nothing to tell me who the independent person is.

Well I would follow it up. Because if you get a report that states there is a need and gives recommendations, then they have to provide it.

But what ideally you need SS to find is that there is an 'educational' need for respite. And again ideally for them not to term it 'respite'!

Alternatively if it is not via education that you want to receive support, you should ask SS for Direct Payments.