Paul Armstrong

podcasts, what of them

audio podcasts are brilliant, typically listen to a couple a day and at any given time i'm usually working my way through the backlog of a podcast's sometimes hundreds of episodes. one problem though is finding podcasts, can be overwhelming when you go on to the iTunes store and there's so many and outside of its category and reviews not much information unless you start Googling them individually. also i find the iTunes store's suggestions and listings unhelpful as i don't listen to British podcasts or ones where they're just broadcast radio shows released in edited for download. used to listen to a lot of gaming podcasts from the big sites like 1up and IGN and even though i don't play many video games now there's still a couple like Giant Bombcast and The Geekbox that while being about games are relaxed and funny enough that are still listenable. so i've found myself in the situation of seeking out those with broader subjects, here's some i've found and i'd love to hear of any that you listen to

My Brother, My Brother and Me (just over a hundred episodes) - three real life brothers get together once a week to offer advice to questions such as "Is it illegal for me to upload a picture of me with a sword to Facebook?" and "What does a hug feel like?" found on Yahoo Answers. the brothers are in their late twenties/early thirties and have that chemistry from having known each other their entire lives and being comedically off the charts that you'd normally only see on a sitcom or sharply written film http://www.maximumfu...-brother-and-me

The Comedy Button (almost 30) - has its lineage due to a couple of the cast members that work for gaming sites in such podcasts as GFW Radio, The Gamespy Debriefings, The Geekbox, and Rebel FM (the last two which are still going strong). so things got kinda crazy back on The Gamespy Debriefings when to the calm of the two extremely nerdy games journalists was added three comedy writers. became less and less about games and more and more about getting drunk live on air with alcohol listeners had sent in and then (not that they needed to be drunk to) would talk about their worst sexual encounters. so fast forward a year and people have been fired, a Kickstarter project has been started, and now you've The Comedy Button which has four or the above five plus a new guy and all pretense of being a gaming podcast has long since gone and what's left is something disgusting but a guilty pleasure too http://www.geekbox.n.../comedy-button/

Uhh Yeah Dude (mid 200's) - a recent discovery, spectacularly good. two guys sorta doing the My Brother, My Brother, and Me thing but not tied into the whole only Yahoo Answers and answering user's questions. i'll close out this post with a video clip as my description really hasn't done them justice http://www.podcastal...hp?pod_id=20249

The Moth (hundreds?) - one i've been meaning to get to which is widely regarded as one of the best podcasts out there. what's it about? storytelling. every episode someone different on stage or in studio just talking, telling an anecdote. monologue at its best. the snag being their archives are bs. been running for over a decade and thousands of stories told but unless you go searching out torrents for meagre pickings then you'll be limited to the most recent handful or so. tragic that a couple of guys in their living room can host their podcast's backcatalogue no problem but something truly special such as this is lost http://www.prx.org/themoth

This American Life (about 500) - most identical to the above apart from it being a product of the renowned National Public Radio and being easier to search out old episodes of http://www.thisameri.../radio-archives

I only recently discovered podcasts. I listen mostly to wildlife-related ones including the BBC Wildlife magazine one, and the Wildlife whisperer. I like Stuff To Blow Your Mind (science). As I'm learning German, I also listen to one called The Slowly Spoken News which is in German (obviously) and especially for learners of German.

Not right now, but it should come up on iTunes if you search for "langsame gesproche nachrichten." Or you can find it via the Deutsche Welle website - there are all sorts of other resources there too.

Ever listened to the Adam and Joe broadcasts? Also very funny :)

gonna sound odd but i dislike the English accent when it's something like an audio podcast and you've an absolute and only focus on voice

I only recently discovered podcasts. I listen mostly to wildlife-related ones including the BBC Wildlife magazine one, and the Wildlife whisperer. I like Stuff To Blow Your Mind (science). As I'm learning German, I also listen to one called The Slowly Spoken News which is in German (obviously) and especially for learners of German.

ah cool, been meaning to improve the calibre and listen to more informative podcasts as opposed to the ones i'm currently which are mostly just dramatically enacted Craigslist ads!

I once listened to some Dutch podcasts - they were hard to find at the time... As for the rest I could never decide what exactly I'd like to listen to :unsure: