A-S warrior

anybody up for a forum meet?

just an idea, get the whole clan together and go for a meal, obviously wear name tags so we know who you are and meet somewere central like london. just an idea i had floating around, espeshilly since we share our lives with each other, it would be interesting to see what your all like in real life.

oh what like online dating and where they've suddenly jowls and type two diabetes? tasteless humour aside sounds like a neat idea and you can certainly count me in as interested. any other ideas you've for it? probably need to be on the weekend then if you're wanting people from outside London to attend too

oh what like online dating and where they've suddenly jowls and type two diabetes? tasteless humour aside sounds like a neat idea and you can certainly count me in as interested. any other ideas you've for it? probably need to be on the weekend then if you're wanting people from outside London to attend too

There are a few people here I'd like to meet, but not all in one go, which rules me out. Also, I'm diabetic.

Edited by AdamJ

meet somewhere central like London.

FYI the geographical centre of the UK is in the Forest of Bowland, not London!

Edited by Aeolienne

Aeolienne, don't invite half the world into my own little paradise, please.

I spend half my life there cycling and running, its an absoloutly horrible place and not worth a visit, you havn't a clue as to what types of strange people can be found there very scary stuff indeed. London sounds perfect but a bit too scary for me to be honest.

Best wishes.

3 or is it 4 life's ago I live in London. It must be 20+ years since I was last there. I was born in the bit that was part of Essex untill 1965 when Greater London was formed. Much to the disbelief of many Londoners, London is not the center of the universe.

There have been meet ups before, only realy viable for people living geographically close to one another (Or with good transport links). But don't let me put anyone off.

I'd consider it.... depending on when, whenever probably early next year. where, forum vote. what, told you go for dinner. why beause im hungry and i like to be soical. and how many people.... all regulars on the forum are invited.

Aeolienne, don't invite half the world into my own little paradise, please.

I spend half my life there cycling and running, its an absoloutly horrible place and not worth a visit, you havn't a clue as to what types of strange people can be found there very scary stuff indeed. London sounds perfect but a bit too scary for me to be honest.

Best wishes.

what about birmingham? bit out of the way for me im from brighton, but i could bunk a train up.

just a meal, maybe hit a few bars, nothing special.

I ain't posted on here for awhile. I normally just come here to check my pm's but I'm interested in going :) To be honest it would be great to meet people who are like minded and who have had similar problems or similar interests but at this present minute I'd probably only be interested in meeting up depending on who else is attending.

I've been writing and then erasing this one sentence for the past ten minutes so am just gonna leave this message as it is :)

:D

I think the first part would be to get a general feeling for the level of interest, and what type of day. I would then start to think about location which can be a tricky thing but possible.

Whilst there are a few robust members of the forum who are capable of meeting up in a big city environment and hammering it for 24 hours there are others who would be put off by such a concept.

It might be possible to strike a balance and go for a location which is close to a mainline train station and which has a Holiday Inn or Premmier Lodge near by where people could stay overnight if they wanted to. I feel you would then be looking to build various activities into the day. It might be possible to start with a walk for a couple of hours and a bring something to it picnic. Follow this up with something activity based, possibly ten pin bowling, after this go for a meal. Up to this point there is no reason why someone with a child could not participate. If people have come by train then the day has to be scheduled if they are doing it to allow them to get there but importantly get home in comfortable time. From there it could be a social night in a pub environment followed for the hardy by a nightclub and early morning hangover walk if needed. In some ways it might be about entry and exit points.

There is no point in having a broad structure if it results in half a dozen people meeting up who would all prefare to meet in somewhere like London for a good night out and they are comfortable with this.

From a personal point of view my own concerns would be having a day starting very early at a train station, being anxious about being able to find the group in a strange place and meeting new people. Whilst this might be ok for a few hours, I would be worried that later in the day possibly evening I would become really exhausted and that I might not be on best form, able to conentrate and things could go downhill and the thoughts of having a panic attack would be an ever present. This is not saying I would not or could not come to a meet up but it is all about managing the situation. I suspect there would be quite a few people who would feel the same way.

My last point is if there was a meet up and say a dozen people got together face to face but others didn't want to or felt they were not up to making it, would this change the dynamic of the forum, if so would this be a good or bad thing? I am really not sure about this last point and can see arguments both ways to be honest.

just a few thoughts.

If there is a structur

There are a few people here I'd like to meet, but not all in one go, which rules me out. Also, I'm diabetic.

jowls?

huh? lol, im not asking you to eat a whole loaf of white bread :lol:

ack, well least that explains the last ten years i spent in a light to no coma

just a meal, maybe hit a few bars, nothing special.

cool

We've had forum meets before and it has not made those who didn't come feel uncomfortable. You really can't stop people making private arrangements and I'm not sure why anyone would want to.

In the past we've had a meal in Newcastle, picnic in Greenwich Park, and several lunches in Covent Garden.

It's impossible to please everyone, but if you'd like to meet people you might get on well with, then it's probably best to suggest doing something you'd enjoy somewhere you can get to easily.

Remember not to share personal details via the public forums, share phone numbers, etc only via PM. Arrange the meeting in a public place.

Edited by Tally

"I'd consider it.... depending on when, whenever probably early next year. where, forum vote. what, told you go for dinner. why beause im hungry and i like to be soical. and how many people.... all regulars on the forum are invited."

In that case put me down as a maybe - although I have to say I think that LancsLad made some very good points and his ideas would cater for different preferences - as long as it didn't become ridiculously complex - but at least with that idea certain people might say yes to certain parts of the day instead of feeling like its an epic ordeal.

For example - if I use myself as this example... I wouldn't be that bothered about going out drinking or going out for a meal. I'd consider looking at something somewhere or an activity somewhere or walking or doing something - don't mind what (in general).

But ignoring AS issues (which are many and complex lol) I also wouldn't fancy a large city, I hate the noise, the bustle and the unknown. Er, maybe they sorta are AS issues a bit :lol:

In addition (anyone want to knock me out yet?) there would also be the issue of time, travel and cost as I'm a vampire, agoraphobic and broke. :ph34r:

And very very importantly is location. The people on this forum are spread all around from all parts of the UK (not so sure about Wales actually - unless I forgot some people...) and its probably not possible to suit a location for everyone - as such you really need a list of who would like to come and then work out a central point based on their geographical preferences.

There are different dynamics between different people on the forum anyway.

There are one or two people I would be interested to meet, not sure the feeling would necessarily be mutual, but I would not want to be in a situation were I was just there to meet them, with a planed agenda. 5 minutes might be enough, and then I would want to walk away. The idea of hours of travel for that is not something I would contemplate. So if I was going somewhere anyway and they were going to be there as well and we met up say for coffee, but at the end of coffee I could, if I wanted to, walk away and get on with the rest of my day, fine. But that would be about it for me.

But dont let me put anyone off the idea. Its just not for me.

Edited by chris54

well, i like everybody on here, and i want to meet you all. so anybody whos interested think it through and if your up for it, we,ll get the ball rolling.

erm not to sure about this, im cautious unless i met the person elsewhere and i wouldnt go to london on my own that be too confusing for me and really frustrated, my time with london is arrive get in taxi ring up staff they come out with the money and hay presto im volunteering

huh? lol, im not asking you to eat a whole loaf of white bread :lol:

I was replying to Paul's joke about meeting a jowly diabetic.

jowls?

No jowls.

Edited by AdamJ

:lol: I used to drink that when I was about 19 - sometimes if I felt like annoying the bar staff I'd ask for a slug of cider put in there - just to watch some of them try to figure out which goes in the glass first (it explodes out of the glass if you get it wrong) :devil:

Anyway, why would I buy the first round? Your the one setting things up - so you should be the one who buys first :cheers:

I don't really drink tbh

I'm a maybe but would be extremely self concious and anxious with a crowd, therefore 1 or 2 people at a time would suit me better. And then what happens if I feel the meet doesn't go well, will this influence the views of the other person or change the dynamics on this forum?

On the one hand, I would love to meet some of you but on the other hand would be constantly worrying if it didn't go well. But then I suppose this is the same for everybody...

Oh and I'm a bit old for hitting bars...I can't take all-day binge drinking.

In theory I like the idea but I would find it very difficult to walk into a strange bar and locate a group of complete strangers. Also, like Robert I'm self-conscious and anxious in a crowd. I can just about comfortably manage three other people but that's my limit.

maybe it could be the best thing to happen to some of you, taking a leap of faith every now and then isnt the worst thing in the world. think about it, we all have the same condition, so were all going to understand how everybodys feeling. once your there, you know you,ll love it. think of all your favorate forum members, you,ll actully be able to have a full on convosation with them without waiting for them to sign in again with a reply. and yes if you pick apart the seems of everything then yes things could go bad, everybody could hate each other, there could be a big punch up, somebody gets murdered, we could all contract legionaires or botulism, or maybe you find out A-S warrior is actully the banker from deal or no deal and wants everybodys money. yes all that could happen. but maybe we could actully all be a really cool group of pepole and all get on like a house on fire. but hey, im the guy to unanimously disagree with on every post i make so, up to you init.

I'd like to meet people on here, but I wouldn't travel to London though it's just something I couldn't do. I live in Essex, but obviously people live in all different areas so agreeing on a certain place could be difficult. I think staying somewhere overnight like a Premier Inn is a good idea.

I'd like to meet people on here, but I wouldn't travel to London though it's just something I couldn't do. I live in Essex, but obviously people live in all different areas so agreeing on a certain place could be difficult. I think staying somewhere overnight like a Premier Inn is a good idea.

lol isnt essex closer to london than me? im from brighton.

Brighton is only 50mins by train from London. Some parts of Essex (i.e. Clacton) are up to 2 hours away. And a Premier Inn in London is going to be more expensive than one outside of London.

Some people may only be able to cope with a few hours at most let alone an overnight stay

Its not something I'd feel comfortable doing. What would be better would be to do an organised convention like my sister goes to graphics art conventions that are held in hotels so you are sleeping in the same place as the place you're going to.