Sign in to follow this  
Guineapigged

Further education for adults with Asperger's

My advisor at the Job Centre said he could refer me to a place called Finchale College which is a residential college for people with disabilities. However, I've looked at the website and I don't think it's suitable. They seem to teach vocational subjects like gardening and plastering but I'm more interested in something which is more mentally challenging. I was doing biology at university but I couldn't cope with university life and the workload. So maybe a course that is closer to university level but in smaller chunks and with more support, including residential support like at Finchale.

Does anywhere like that exist or am I being unrealistic?

All the colleges for disabled people I've found so far seem to be focussed around NVQ-type subjects (hairdressing, carpentry, admin). I even looked for Asperger's-specific colleges but they seem to be for severely autistic people with very high care needs and are more like care homes than colleges.

hiya,

I went to coleg harech in wales its also a residential college they do all kinds of courses i choose politics and sociology it was a 2 year course back in the early 90's now its just a year . its more of a Foundation course really, but you do get a university of wale diploma at the end of it. the staff at the college are very understanding and its a great enviroment

It is possible to study the first year of the Bangor University Social Studies degree course at Coleg Harlech

http://www.harlech.ac.uk/en/

hope this is helpful