smileyK

what are adult symptoms of SPD ???

i have A.S but also have dyspraxia too when i'm at work or anywhere noisy loud environment bus place struggle grasp conversation get muddled confused get conversation wrong completely happen lot at work due to noise could this be part of my dyspraxia ? or my A.S or both? or could SPD come into play as lot of A.S ,Dyspraxia seem like other co -morbid conditions overlap closely neatly with SPD? what is chance possibility i could have this? or do i just have sensory processing difficulties as part of A.S /dyspraxia/ or 'something more than that' ? how would i know if had SPD?

when i was assessed by CAMHS a clinical pyschologist she put in my diagnosis report that my processing speed score at aged 14 when assessed came out at 62 in extremely low range so did my perceptual reasoning score was 53 which also was extremely low range my working memory was again extremely low at 65 but i put this down to fact of dyspraxia due to retraining /keeping information in my head due to short-term memory loss the only thing came out different level/score was my verbal comprehension which turned out to be low average of 13 which i assume for A.S being quite talkative verbally expressive /communicative is where that comes in and fits in there?

the recommendations of this diagnosisreport was to be referred to paediatrician of further investigation of my perceptual skills what does mean as this never came to anything/ never happened materialised at all/ could this be connected to SPD? and what i'm struggling difficulties now in situations? how would my perceptual skills affect me?

also when reading a book at work to the kids i 'trip' over words and struggle with reading 'full' sentences they get broken split up jumbled get confused stumble over words/sentences get wrong is this just dyspraxia ?

XKLX

sensory processing disorder .... SPD stands for!

It's really not the most common meaning of that acronym. Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is something many pregnant women suffer from, and by far the most common meaning of SPD - I have sensory processing disorder and I don't abbreviate it for this reason. It's best not to use acronyms unless they are understood by everyone.

u asked if its relating to dyspraxia or sensory processing disorder smiley, but u are saying u know what dyspraxia is. i was answering your questioning and if u really want to know about sensory processing disorder there is a really good explanation on youtube of what it is.

It's really not the most common meaning of that acronym. Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is something many pregnant women suffer from, and by far the most common meaning of SPD - I have sensory processing disorder and I don't abbreviate it for this reason. It's best not to use acronyms unless they are understood by everyone.

Theres also semantic pragmatic disorder,

i prefer to use SID (instead of SPD) for 'Sensory intergration disorder' because it means the person has problems processing sensory input. 'Sensory defensiveness' is another term. i tend to use wikipedia for a basic explanation to disabilities (dictionary for words and phrases) then click on links from wikepedia to advanced academic stuff;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_integration_dysfunction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_defensiveness#cite_note-0

One book i found useful for understanding 'sensory defensiveness' (as one author wrote) is;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loud-Bright-Fast-Tight-Overstimulating/dp/0060195207 (she claims these cause misdiagnoses of autism and other disabilities but im 'on the fence' about that viewpoint).

There seems to be a number of different names for one disability and that is problem with sensory processing. Very confusing.